Reload this Page >

Dubai 10 year Golden visa

Dubai 10 year Golden visa

Old Jun 5th 2022, 6:09 am
Just Joined

NotDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai 10 year Golden visa

Hi,

I am moving to Dubai soon, my employing university is currently getting my visit visa and once I am in the country will provide me with a 3 year visa in line with my contract length. To be renewed every 3 years. The role was meant to be permanent but then Dubai law said expats can not have a contract longer than 3 years at a time.

I have just read the eligibility criteria for the golden visa, which I believe I can meet based on my PhD and publications.

This would not be linked to my employment, which i’m not sure would be acceptable for my employer. But I will discuss it once I figure out the value of this.

one of the key perks as a golden visa owner is 100% ownership of an onshore business (meaning no local partner required I guess). It doesn’t mention what business sector, but it would follow that it should be the field of the PhD. However my wife has wanted to return to the UK, and moving to Dubai (from Malaysia) for my career is another compromise she’s making for me/kids. She’s ready to work again after years being a homemaker and ideally wants her own small F&B/retail outlet. Could this be viable with 100% ownership?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

NotDave
Old Jun 6th 2022, 9:32 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai 10 year Golden visa

You can own 100% without having a Golden Visa these days so it's not a specific perk of the Golden Visa.

If you have your own company and visa, Golden or not - you'll be paying out your own pocket for medical insurance and visa costs unless your employer is happy to pay that while you are on your own visa - which is unlikely. Few employers will pay more than they need for staff, even if they are happy with you having your own visa.

F&B is a cut throat business in Dubai - not sure if you have been here before but there's a plethora of choices and many businesses fail in the first year or two. I'd recommend doing a lot of market research first before trying that. Perhaps she can just come out under your sponsorship until such a time as you're ready to invest in an F&B business instead of worrying about getting a company right away. It's always good to try out the place first for a while anyway before making firm plans.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks Norm for the feedback!

I’m surprised that there are other options for 100% ownership. Not sure what makes the golden visa “golden” then.

I haven’t broached this with my employer, but I suspect they will be fine with me having my own visa and still getting all the benefits. On the basis of “equal reward for equal work” as opposed to the local norms of supporting sponsored employees differently. This has been tested in the university before in another country.

I have visited Dubai around 20 times. Just 1-3 day stop overs on my own and a couple of family holidays. The establishments we visited seem to do well. Not to mention Dubai was the most visited city in the world so needs a critical mass of F&B/retail. But this was certainly an idea for after we settle and scope out opportunities, as you suggested. I just need an idea of what’s possible to help my wife set some objectives.

thanks again!

Old Jun 7th 2022, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

There are various categories of Golden Visa and not all relate to business ownership. One of the things that makes the Golden visa 'Golden' for some is that its not tied to your employment, therefore if you decide to switch jobs you and your family will still have a visa to stay here. My current employer actively support employees having golden visas and still provide all benefits (medical, travel etc etc) as if you were under their sponsorship, with no detriment to any employee taking a Golden Visa. Obviously if you go down the Golden Visa route you have to pay all the associated visa costs.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 7th 2022, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks UKMS

Good to know that it’s being used in a similar way in your organisation!

Im not aware of the costs, I presumed it would be minimal given the intent is to attract/retain talent (not earn fees), can’t find this information online. Do you know where I could find this?

cheers
Old Jun 13th 2022, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Just read that the visa costs around AED 4k when applying within the UAE.

Apparently the cost is variable around that figure. I guess this would cover my visa and then it’s extra for each family member. Not sure if there would be additional charges for essentials such as EIDs.

My plan is to start under my employers sponsorship and apply for the golden visa once we are settled and ready, mainly as a way to start a business with 100% ownership without the need for local partner.

I wonder if there’s any Dubai small business owner community that I could join, or online forum. Anyone know?

Cheers