Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential move to Doha.

Potential move to Doha.

Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice
Default Re: Potential move to Doha.

Agreed and thanks for respecting my opinion.
Considering I am taking it as a long term thing, I want to enjoy and embrace the culture. I believe you can never completely settle down and be happy unless you embrace the country and enjoy it for what it is and not lead a disconnected short them life... if so you will never really 'belong' and be happy. For now I am keeping an open mind and will see where it goes. Similarly in Canada if you do not go camping or enjoy the outdoors, you have really missed the experience of living here. I hunt and fish here, will miss that the most but am looking forward to moving it to deep see fishing or whatever is available there. I will however not miss the current -40C deep freeze we are in. The winters here will offset the summers in Doha.
I agree with you on the recession bit, I believe it is coming but will take another 1-2 years. I agree it is needed but I also feel bad for people that have over stretched themselves and are house poor. If the mortgage rates were to go up even by a bit, they will not be able to afford their house. It's sad but you see idiots lining up to do it every day…!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shake2000
Considering I am taking it as a long term thing, I want to enjoy and embrace the culture. I believe you can never completely settle down and be happy unless you embrace the country and enjoy it for what it is and not lead a disconnected short them life... if so you will never really 'belong' and be happy. For now I am keeping an open mind and will see where it goes. Similarly in Canada if you do not go camping or enjoy the outdoors, you have really missed the experience of living here. I hunt and fish here, will miss that the most but am looking forward to moving it to deep see fishing or whatever is available there. I will however not miss the current -40C deep freeze we are in. The winters here will offset the summers in Doha.
I agree with you on the recession bit, I believe it is coming but will take another 1-2 years. I agree it is needed but I also feel bad for people that have over stretched themselves and are house poor. If the mortgage rates were to go up even by a bit, they will not be able to afford their house. It's sad but you see idiots lining up to do it every day…!
You're going to be very disappointed if you're looking for culture here .

Qatar is culturally devoid
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I get what you mean about devoid of culture (like American junk food and malls everywhere) but i feel also it is somehow inventing its own culture.

The thing i find most culturally interesting is the mix of people living here. I think 85% of the population are expats from all around the world. Genuinely i have met some really amazing & nice people from places that are not so well known (often that i have to look up on google maps).

Bringing this mix of foreigners from around the world can be considered a social experiment. I feel its like a Big brother style game show or a big practical joke ;-)
Old Jan 12th 2014, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny80
or a big practical joke ;-)
Congratulations! In five words you have summed up Qatar perfectly!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Culture...well, which one? Indian culture with all its subcultures? Filippino culture? Various Arab cultures? Different western cultures? Oh...do you mean Qatari culture? Well, you might find some shows, like in Katara...but otherwise it is not visible. Unless thinking one is better than everyone else is a cultural trait...
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice

Wow.. Its ok guys. Let me join the club and say I am in it for the money, can we all be happy now?
Sheesh cheer up people, its nothing personal. We're all different, if you don't like it, does not mean no one else can either.

Be happy, Cheers!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.. Its ok guys. Let me join the club and say I am in it for the money, can we all be happy now?
Sheesh cheer up people, its nothing personal. We're all different, if you don't like it, does not mean no one else can either.

Be happy, Cheers!
Looking at your post..I am fairly convinced you will like it.Sheesh. Ya.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Be happy, Cheers!
Qatar has its faults, it's at times infuriating, othertimes hilarious, and I obviously had such a downer on the place that I spent the thick end of ten years there. Must be a masochist, I guess
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Be happy, Cheers!
You only ever come to Qatar for the money .
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

harmony2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI sHAke
did you accept the job?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yes.

Originally Posted by harmony2014
HI sHAke
did you accept the job?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Have you moved out there? if so what is it like? what is it like? My husband has been offered a grade 112 salary but debating if it is worth it.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

I am still working on getting my documents attested,will probably not be there until September. In the end it really depends on your reason to move. If I was in it ONLY for the money then the answer would be no. For me the offer works as I have wanted to move to the region for a while due to family and other reasons and the overall package works.... but if your decision is solely based on money then it does not work.

Again, in the end it is your decision and you will have to make a decision based on 50% visibility because their HR does not share much information even if you ask... or if you ask much you push them to a point where they stop responding.

Have you moved out there? if so what is it like? what is it like? My husband has been offered a grade 112 salary but debating if it is worth it.

Last edited by shake2000; Apr 1st 2014 at 4:54 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

We are also from a Pakistani background and want to explore the Islamic culture for the children. We have a three year old and a one month old. When do you think you will be flying out?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:42 am
Just Joined

PKUSQA has a spectacular aura aboutPKUSQA has a spectacular aura aboutPKUSQA has a spectacular aura about

We are also from a Pakistani background and want to explore the Islamic culture for the children. We have a three year old and a one month old. When do you think you will be flying out?
Disclaimer - I have only been here for 3 weeks and don't have kids. However, being from the same background as you, I think you'll like the pace of life here. Its quieter, more family friendly as opposed to the fast paced, sometimes overly westernized Dubai.
You probably don't need to worry about this immediately (considering the ages of your kids) but schools here are a BIG challenge. They are expensive and the good ones have waiting lists from what I hear.
Lastly, unless the Saudi's close their air space to Qatar Airways, you can also easily hope on to a quick Umrah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.