Reload this Page >

Potential Job Offer in Riyadh

Potential Job Offer in Riyadh

Old Sep 21st 2021, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

P555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential Job Offer in Riyadh

Hi,

I wanted to get your thoughts on a potential offer from one of the large consultancies' that is looking to set up a base in Riyadh.
They offered me:
1. Manager position at 52K SAR/Month that includes housing + transport
2. 25% bonus cap + medical and children's school ( though we don't have kids)
3. Return flights to the UK once a year + Relocation allowance of £4k
I am 36, currently work for a Fortune 100 company in London as a Manager with a base salary of £80k/pa + bonus, car allowance etc. We don't have kids and my wife will be moving with me and will take a job there. They are in a hyper-growth phase and the industry I work in is expected to grow heavily in the Middle East
Following are my questions:
1. Is this a decent move for my career? Often heard that KSA posting is a Kiss of Death for career progression? Have worked in Riyadh in 2019 for few months on a project though.
2. Is this salary decent enough to afford a western-style compound? We are looking for a 2-bed apartment.
3. Are there any factors either, financial and non - financial that I need to take into consideration?

Will be grateful, if could provide your thoughts.

Thanks

P555
Old Dec 1st 2021, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

peterlisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential Job Offer in Riyadh

52k per month including housing and transporatation? 8k for housing and 3k for car rental, so you get 41k per month.
Do you think it is a good offer though?
Old Dec 1st 2021, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

That’s a great offer mate. Shut up and take it. Save up. Clear the mortgage or at least a large chunk and head back home before your CV gets a too toxic.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

larryson is an unknown quantity at this point

why will it get toxic? won't the experience of working in a hyper growth environment / sector translate well with start-ups / late-stage unicorns?
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I know many who have declined postings in KSA as the experience translates to garbage. Take it and stay a little longer and retire sooner is always another option.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larryson
why will it get toxic? won't the experience of working in a hyper growth environment / sector translate well with start-ups / late-stage unicorns?

Toxic but survivable. It’s a case of do as your told… the ability of your peers tends to be a lot lower than what you would be used to.

I would go for it, 2-3 years here can really add to the bank balance back home. It is also definitely worth the experience.