Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential Job in Doha

Potential Job in Doha

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Big_L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential Job in Doha

Afternoon folks, I am looking for a bit of advice regarding a job offer I have been made for a residential position in Doha. According to the recruiter it is a good offer but I'd like a few other opinions with regards to my calculations on the cost of living. I am a single 34 year old guy and the package I have been offered per month is:

Basic - 32770 QAR
Housing - 11000 QAR
Transport - 3000 QAR
Plus health insurance, multi entry visa and 3 trips home yearly

At the moment I am budgeting on:
Rent - 10000 QAR ? (a nice furnished 2/3 bed with shared pool and gym??)
Utilities - 1000 QAR
Living Allowance - 4500 QAR ? (nothing extravagant night/dinners out occasionally plus gym membership)
Transport - This I am struggling with, how much would be a decent figure for a car/petrol servicing per month?

Are these figures realistic and is there anything else I should be considering? I have two daughters and although they will not be living with me they will be coming out for visits, is there any issues bringing them in regularly?

Also just to cram as many queries into one post, how easy is it to find games of 5s/11 aside football matches??

Thanks in advance for any advice given, I am really torn about taking this position so and help would be greatly appreciated.

Added: Sorry, an additional question (I know it's a lot.....). The work would be in the Ar-Rayyān region, a friend has mentioned the Abu Hamour area, is there anyplace else I should be looking?

Last edited by Big_L; Feb 23rd 2015 at 2:06 pm. Reason: Additional question!
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of
Default Re: Potential Job in Doha

Welcome to dustland. Given your age and you are alone, the offer is good (what is your occupation?). see comment below

Originally Posted by Big_L
Afternoon folks, I am looking for a bit of advice regarding a job offer I have been made for a residential position in Doha. According to the recruiter it is a good offer but I'd like a few other opinions with regards to my calculations on the cost of living. I am a single 34 year old guy and the package I have been offered per month is:

Basic - 32770 QAR - good
Housing - 11000 QAR - for a single person more than enough. you can rent a one bed room apartment in a compound for less than that.
Transport - 3000 QAR - more than enough for transport cost. You can hire a camry for 2500 per month or you can buy.
Plus health insurance, multi entry visa and 3 trips home yearly - excellent. Never seen such a generous offer (3 trips a year waw)

At the moment I am budgeting on:
Rent - 10000 QAR ? (a nice furnished 2/3 bed with shared pool and gym??) OK
Utilities - 1000 QAR OK
Living Allowance - 4500 QAR ? (nothing extravagant night/dinners out occasionally plus gym membership) you will not spend that on food.
Transport - This I am struggling with, how much would be a decent figure for a car/petrol servicing per month? petrol is 1 QAR per liter.

Are these figures realistic and is there anything else I should be considering? I have two daughters and although they will not be living with me they will be coming out for visits, is there any issues bringing them in regularly? Nope

Also just to cram as many queries into one post, how easy is it to find games of 5s/11 aside football matches?? no idea

Thanks in advance for any advice given, I am really torn about taking this position so and help would be greatly appreciated.

Added: Sorry, an additional question (I know it's a lot.....). The work would be in the Ar-Rayyān region, a friend has mentioned the Abu Hamour area, is there anyplace else I should be looking? where in Ar Rayyan?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Big_L is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that quick reply mate. I'm still mulling over the offer but more from a personal issue with my daughters etc. I'm a project/design engineer, mainly trees and wellheads for oil and gas with 11+ years experience.
I've been reading as much up on the area as possible but advice specific to my situation is really benefitial!
It's the 41st Industrial area in Ar-Rayyān so looking for a decent area to live that doesn't involve a 1-2 hour kamikaze run every morning would be a good.......
I was initally offered 1 flight for me and up to three kids but asked if they would give me 3 return flights for just myself, they didn't seem to complain so it seems i've been really lucky.
Thanks for all advice though mate, really really helpful!!
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

OK. The industrial area is a busy area at the southern end of the city. It is busy most of the time with trucks and heavy machines and the infrastructure is poor there (old roads with lots of hols etc.)
commuting is a pain in the butt especially in rush hours. My advice is to stay in one of these areas:
-Ain Khaled
-Al Azizyah
-Al Waab
-Abu Hamour

These areas are fairly close to industrial zone and many westerners live there.