Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Doha

Possible move to Doha

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Doha

Originally Posted by Scamp
So it can't be that bad then?

It can't be life threatening to your kids to be there, or you wouldn't be there?
Well, being in the car can very well be life threatening.
What I am saying is this though, Qatar promotes itself as a "family oriented" destination. I am asking what really IS family oriented here?
What makes Qatar different from other places that do not promote themselves as family oriented.
I do seriously not think or see that Qatar has anything special to offer for families.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Alexa
Well, being in the car can very well be life threatening.
What I am saying is this though, Qatar promotes itself as a "family oriented" destination. I am asking what really IS family oriented here?
What makes Qatar different from other places that do not promote themselves as family oriented.
I do seriously not think or see that Qatar has anything special to offer for families.
I wasn't meaning to be a dick....was just asking.

I've only ever had to do the odd day trip in Qatar.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I wasn't meaning to be a dick....was just asking.

I've only ever had to do the odd day trip in Qatar.
That's ok Scamp, no worries
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Durham, usually I agree with you. Not on this one though. Great for families? How?
A. Not enough school places
B. Schools, IF you get a space are horribly overpriced for what they deliver
C. What are the activities geared for families here? The parks? Errmm.....what else is there???
D. What I said for schools is the same for nurseries
E. Driving is HORRIBLE here. You have kids in your car, even worse.

What IS here is Qatar that makes it great for families?

I think this place is much better for people without kids.
I was just having a good day becuase i booked 2 flights to go to the U.K so i was feeling generous to the newbie.

As ive just driven back from Wakra to Al Waab i can concur Alexa that this place is a fu**ing grade A dunghole !
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I was just having a good day becuase i booked 2 flights to go to the U.K so i was feeling generous to the newbie.

As ive just driven back from Wakra to Al Waab i can concur Alexa that this place is a fu**ing grade A dunghole !
A down day in Qatar is to reach the lowest of the low.

(Been there, done that, said never again...still went back!)
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
A down day in Qatar is to reach the lowest of the low.

(Been there, done that, said never again...still went back!)
You're right there thats for sure , it's fu**ing dire !
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by co durham boy

Wakra to al Waab...ouch.... Not good.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

mrblast is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I would be there (in fact, I am) despite that.
Why are you here, Alexa? You obviously seem to despise the place.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrblast
Why are you here, Alexa? You obviously seem to despise the place.
Money , it's why we come here , nothing more nothing less .
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

Oh no now im having doubts about our move. where is the positive gang i chatted with a few weeks ago??
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
Oh no now im having doubts about our move. where is the positive gang i chatted with a few weeks ago??
Oh, go for it!I did it 30 years ago, and the bloody place has such an effect on me, I holiday in the ruddy place! Doha ain't Saudi, it's a strange, compelling place! Don't be afraid of it , it's odd, but unless you have a real arse of an employer, other than being bored, it's a nice berth to ship up to!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Husband will be working for company he works for now in Uk been with them for years.
I on the other hand will be giving up my job to move over so will need to find something to do to keep me from going mad. try to find work or something.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

You find out here, as you will in the UK that you will cross the paths of people you do nothing but moan and don't have a good thing to say about where they live.

So many people slag off Saudi but have never been there, I loved the place so did the family, but it will not just land in your lap. You have to be more proactive in making friends arranging things to do. Money is why the majority of us are here but from my perspective if I hated it that much I would leave. If you want to remain an expat then find somewhere else to go or go back to the UK. personally would be happy at this time to not return to the UK because of the abysmal state it is in.

Crewegirl come out and try the life, don't later regret that you didn't take the chance and what might have been.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Oh i`m coming and am so so excited. living in a compound with a pool and gym and other facilities and many many new friends to meet.....now theres a life we never have in UK. a pool? a gym? beach,sun, oh i am most definately coming out there.
Life here is getting harder because people just dont have funds or are to scared to spend and companies are closing all the time. add that to the shocking weather we are having......Flight for Paul and Claire.
Life is what you make it and we only get one chance to live.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
Oh i`m coming and am so so excited. living in a compound with a pool and gym and other facilities and many many new friends to meet.....now theres a life we never have in UK. a pool? a gym? beach,sun, oh i am most definately coming out there.
Life here is getting harder because people just dont have funds or are to scared to spend and companies are closing all the time. add that to the shocking weather we are having......Flight for Paul and Claire.
Life is what you make it and we only get one chance to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.