Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Plans to move to Dubai!

Plans to move to Dubai!

Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:33 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plans to move to Dubai!

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Snowflake

Plus I have better things to do in my life than argue semantics with you, as you always come across as combative and look for arguments when there are none...so this will be the end of topic ping pong.

... very peurile!!....Bye Thrush

She cannae take nae more cap'ain
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the one that says you cannot own 2 cars and a motorbike Snowflake.
Who said it did? I was just highlighting two examples where designation mattered..... as that was the whole topic of the discussion. I think this was clear to everyone but you.

Plus I have better things to do in my life than argue semantics with you, as you always come across as combative and look for arguments when there are none...so this will be the end of topic ping pong.
Pot, kettle & black.

I have not once lowered myself to the infantile name calling you seem to favour so much.

The examples you have given have no bearing on the debate we were having, the ban on certain levels is not enforceable as per labour law anymore, plus you can pay to have it it removed!!
So there is still a difference then... one may cost you money the other doesn't.

And why does me having been here 17 years such an irritant to you, very peurile!!
It doesn't, it was you who was using it as a big swinging dick.

Bye Thrush
Thrush? Don't know that one. Please enlighten me oh wise one.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Tell me about it.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Snowflake.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I travel all the time and have never had a problem to be honest, so nope...and Scamp has just returned from Aus without a problem as well!!
Silly me. The Australians are the benchmark here.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Silly me. The Australians are the benchmark here.
I was being sarcastic

OK me China, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia plus others I do not require a Visa for....none have said oh no you are an Archives Clerk you cannot come in!!!
Old Dec 4th 2017, 7:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I was being sarcastic

OK me China, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia plus others I do not require a Visa for....none have said oh no you are an Archives Clerk you cannot come in!!!
I wouldn't care if that list of places won't let me in because of what my visa says.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I wouldn't care if that list of places won't let me in because of what my visa says.
I wish they did sometimes
Old Dec 4th 2017, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Who said it did? I was just highlighting two examples where designation mattered..... as that was the whole topic of the discussion. I think this was clear to everyone but you.

Pot, kettle & black.

I have not once lowered myself to the infantile name calling you seem to favour so much.

So there is still a difference then... one may cost you money the other doesn't.

It doesn't, it was you who was using it as a big swinging dick.

Thrush? Don't know that one. Please enlighten me oh wise one.

Tell me about it.

You told the story of being not allowed to register a vehicle because of your visa designation, I did not believe and still do not, hence I asked you to prove it I am still waiting!! And I clearly understood the topic of the conversation.

Pot calling the kettle...mmm I would rather view my posts as not combative as you, I do not go in for trolling people unlike you, and others on here have said as much to you before!

Infantile name calling, yes my apologies guilty there...but if the cap fits etc!

Difference in paying to have it lifted is you should not allow them to impose it in the first place!

Big swinging dick, thank you....but is that not name calling???

Thrush, just use your imagination....as I will not enlighten you!
Old Dec 4th 2017, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I was being sarcastic
I'll use your very own words here.... "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, commonly used by the lowest form of life!!"

You told the story of being not allowed to register a vehicle because of your visa designation, I did not believe and still do not, hence I asked you to prove it I am still waiting!! And I clearly understood the topic of the conversation.
You didn't say you didn't believe me once.... Again, your words... "Well I have only been here 17 years and this is the first time I have ever heard this, not doubting you at all"

I originally said...."I'm not sure if this is still the case but it certainly was a few years ago"

And why would I make this up.... seriously?

Pot calling the kettle...mmm I would rather view my posts as not combative as you, I do not go in for trolling people unlike you, and others on here have said as much to you before!
I haven't been combative to anyone, not really even to you. I have dismissed you name calling and insults and just stated facts / tried to find a few articles online which relate to 'the point' we were all discussing.

You just seem to have gotten your tighty whiteys in a twist.

Infantile name calling, yes my apologies guilty there...but if the cap fits etc!
Please explain how I am a snowflake? Do you even know what that means?

Big swinging dick, thank you....but is that not name calling???
No its not name calling, its a description of your actions.

I'd suggest you go back and maybe re-read the thread with an open mind (if that's possible) and then you may see how ridiculous you are sounding.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Masif, sorry not to have responded until now, but reading your posts in this thread it seems you will be a Dubai newbie. You seem to think the Dubai / UAE property market operates fairly similarly to a Western property market with just a few twists. That is a mistake that many newcomers to the region make.

What you seem to be proposing makes sense if you are in Europe but does not in the UAE. For starters - you do not actually own property in the UAE even if you paid for it. You have no property rights. It all belongs to the royal family even if your name is on the deed. Those mortgage payments allow you to use it for a period of time provided you don't get kicked out of the country or denied a visa, since you can't ever become a citizen. Real estate investments can go real sour, real fast for reasons that can't happen in the West.

There are no "permanent residence visas" or "Green Cards" as they exist in Europe. If you lose your job and can't make your mortgage, you are a criminal; if you run afoul of someone politically (don't smirk and think that won't happen to you) - you could find yourself blacklisted from the country, regardless of owning property. It's not so easy to "just rent it out," and if you are blacklisted because you irritate someone powerful enough, your property could be blacklisted as well from the rental market.

For the other posters I seem to remember about 10 years ago, Ajman considered proposing a residence visa for property purchases, and some developers were linked to the scheme and even took deposits; then they changed their mind, the developers kept the deposits and a lot of expats were out a lot of money.

I would strongly advise you to get a few years' experience in the region first before making serious financial decisions like this. You are not going to a Western country with Western laws and Western norms; and in fact you are going to a country with an exceptionally high turnover rate among western expats. You may think you are going into this with the idea that it's a 20-year move - good on you! - but statistically speaking the odds are you won't even be there for five.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

But carcajou, there is a Ministry of Happiness, surely that is something nice you don't get in western countries?
Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
But carcajou, there is a Ministry of Happiness, surely that is something nice you don't get in western countries?
best post so far
Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

regarding the designation on your visa it DID matter, I am not sure if it matters any longer. I remember a friend of mine trying to get a car loan and although his salary was more than ample to cover the car loan, he was initially declined because of the designation in his visa. Eventually once he supplied copies of his bank statement showing his salary credits he was approved for the loan - this is going back to 2008/2009.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
regarding the designation on your visa it DID matter, I am not sure if it matters any longer. I remember a friend of mine trying to get a car loan and although his salary was more than ample to cover the car loan, he was initially declined because of the designation in his visa. Eventually once he supplied copies of his bank statement showing his salary credits he was approved for the loan - this is going back to 2008/2009.
Dubxile was here then and confirms that this is not the case.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Dubxile was here then and confirms that this is not the case.
can't comment on that....but i was here then and it happened to my mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.