Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Parsons - How different are they to Neom?

Parsons - How different are they to Neom?

Old Apr 25th 2024, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parsons - How different are they to Neom?

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Are you still out in Jizan? I have an offer to go there and thought you may be able to provide some background.
Interviewed directly with parsons. Been made an offer. Let me know your thoughts

Principal PM
60k/month
8 on 2 off
25 days annual leave
Sal inc. of food/accomm/transport/laundry

Speaking to friends at NEOM, they mention AlUla and Jizan are the toughest gigs going atm. So expectations should be more 70-80k/ month for the remoteness and high risk zon - not sure if that would be realistic at my leve however I've pushed back on a few items.
Speaking with Parsons they seemed to not really acknowledge its location and conflict in the area. UK gov website advises against any travel there other than essential. Assuming since you've been there its not been an issue or you've felt nervous?

Is there just one camp? I've asked for details so hoping to find out more soon. But in general, a good mix of people that help to organise social events / hanging out etc?
Anythign else you can tell ,me before i sign it off officially?
On security, I've been here 2.5 years. There were drones when I first arrived, but the Saudi/Yemen conflict is not noticeable. Driving is shocking, so I try to not be on the road at night. We have a pretty strict security protocol in place just in case.

As for a tough gig, I'd say from what I hear from guys who have come from Neom, this is far more of a relaxed gig. Our client is pretty relaxed, and the work environment is pretty good. Regular social events, football, cinema trips, etc. there isn't much on offer here tbh, but the 8 weeks fly by, then you take 2-3 weeks off. Days are long, I basically spend 12 hours a day from leaving my cabin until I come home. Farasan islands and the easy access to the red sea allows for boat trips and over night stays.

The 8 on 2 off plus 25 days, 10-12 public holidays a year, means you get about 3 months off a year. Best gig I've ever had.

The 70-80k is probably more for dept managers. 60-65k is probably quite reasonable. You have no expenses except personal spending.

There is only one camp, but it's only a few minutes from the office. There is a 10k allowance to live off base. Many have taken it. Baish, a small town is about a 20-30 minutes drive. Jazan is about 45-60 minutes. You can rent a decent place for about 3k or so. Some spend the entire 10k and live at the Radisson. We've got a pool, a gym, rec room, and outside BBQ spot, etc. that would make it a total of 70k package on your case.

Camp life isn't great, but you make of it what you want. Just keep a comedic lense on things, and you'll be fine. Send me a message if you have any other questions.

Old Apr 28th 2024, 12:03 am
Banned

DesertNomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parsons - How different are they to Neom?

Originally Posted by Ilovegregggs
On security, I've been here 2.5 years. There were drones when I first arrived, but the Saudi/Yemen conflict is not noticeable. Driving is shocking, so I try to not be on the road at night. We have a pretty strict security protocol in place just in case.

As for a tough gig, I'd say from what I hear from guys who have come from Neom, this is far more of a relaxed gig. Our client is pretty relaxed, and the work environment is pretty good. Regular social events, football, cinema trips, etc. there isn't much on offer here tbh, but the 8 weeks fly by, then you take 2-3 weeks off. Days are long, I basically spend 12 hours a day from leaving my cabin until I come home. Farasan islands and the easy access to the red sea allows for boat trips and over night stays.

The 8 on 2 off plus 25 days, 10-12 public holidays a year, means you get about 3 months off a year. Best gig I've ever had.

The 70-80k is probably more for dept managers. 60-65k is probably quite reasonable. You have no expenses except personal spending.

There is only one camp, but it's only a few minutes from the office. There is a 10k allowance to live off base. Many have taken it. Baish, a small town is about a 20-30 minutes drive. Jazan is about 45-60 minutes. You can rent a decent place for about 3k or so. Some spend the entire 10k and live at the Radisson. We've got a pool, a gym, rec room, and outside BBQ spot, etc. that would make it a total of 70k package on your case.

Camp life isn't great, but you make of it what you want. Just keep a comedic lense on things, and you'll be fine. Send me a message if you have any other questions.
Awesome reply. I've got a few other questions to ask you. I'll shoot you a pm once i hit the magic '5 post' limit. I've just looked up the Radisson. The fact they have one of those out there is great. Checking out the pics it looks luxury. I bet the commute sucks though.