Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

panic stations please help

panic stations please help

Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

WFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant future
Default panic stations please help

Hi everyone I have just made a huge booby and Im stressing out:curse:. I have been enjoying using my friends wireless network over the past few days while they are away on hols but last night without thinking I switched off the connection. When I swithed it back on this morning I think I pressed the wrong button because now its looking for a network key and I cannot access it from any of the computers. I know they dont have a password as I already asked then before they went away as I thought I would need it to access the system from my laptop so ................please somebody techinical be out there. I dont want to have to tell them I have messed up their whole home computer system
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: panic stations please help

Originally Posted by WFPSONS
Hi everyone I have just made a huge booby and Im stressing out:curse:. I have been enjoying using my friends wireless network over the past few days while they are away on hols but last night without thinking I switched off the connection. When I swithed it back on this morning I think I pressed the wrong button because now its looking for a network key and I cannot access it from any of the computers. I know they dont have a password as I already asked then before they went away as I thought I would need it to access the system from my laptop so ................please somebody techinical be out there. I dont want to have to tell them I have messed up their whole home computer system
A network key is not the same thing as a password. They will have one, by default it will be the number that was printed on the Etisalat card that was issued to them when the network was installed. Have a look around next to the computer (if you can without snooping too much ) - the Etisalat card is credit card sized and says Al Shamil on it. If you can't find it, then you'll have to swallow your pride and ask your friends.

BTW - how are you using BritishExpats.com if you've lost internet access?? Internet cafe???
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

WFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant futureWFPSONS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
A network key is not the same thing as a password. They will have one, by default it will be the number that was printed on the Etisalat card that was issued to them when the network was installed. Have a look around next to the computer (if you can without snooping too much ) - the Etisalat card is credit card sized and says Al Shamil on it. If you can't find it, then you'll have to swallow your pride and ask your friends.

BTW - how are you using BritishExpats.com if you've lost internet access?? Internet cafe???
no they have a LAC too oh god I go get myself into some jams. Do you know how to disable the feature....how the hell did I turn it on
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

no they have a LAC too oh god I go get myself into some jams. Do you know how to disable the feature....how the hell did I turn it on
I imagine that it happens automatically when you re-boot the router. I don't think you can disable it - at least, not without entering the network key and then the admin mode on the router... Your goose is fairly well done, I fear...
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

:curse::curse

I imagine that it happens automatically when you re-boot the router. I don't think you can disable it - at least, not without entering the network key and then the admin mode on the router... Your goose is fairly well done, I fear...
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:29 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

why come on this forum...there is the Lab for computer related question.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

ok I didnt find the card but I did find a number for the network and the man was so helpful. At home they would never help me like that because I am not the registered owner. Anyway I got the password and its saved automatically now. The padlock is still showing up so I will have to fess up anyway when they come back as that didnt used to show up before but at least I have fixed the main problem...but for some reason I can access the link no probs from my laptop but the main computer in the house is not picking up the signal. I know one thing for sure I will not be turning them off again. Thank you for your help SYB
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MataHari
why come on this forum...there is the Lab for computer related question.
THANKS MH I am a virgin blogger so still getting used to the sysem
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok I didnt find the card but I did find a number for the network and the man was so helpful. At home they would never help me like that because I am not the registered owner. Anyway I got the password and its saved automatically now. The padlock is still showing up so I will have to fess up anyway when they come back as that didnt used to show up before but at least I have fixed the main problem...but for some reason I can access the link no probs from my laptop but the main computer in the house is not picking up the signal. I know one thing for sure I will not be turning them off again. Thank you for your help SYB
Glad you got it sorted. It doesn't sound like there is a major problem, I wouldn't worry too much. Or just tell them there was a power cut....

Happy surfing - although surely you should be out & about having fun in Dubai, and not hunched over a hot lap-top???
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Glad you got it sorted. It doesn't sound like there is a major problem, I wouldn't worry too much. Or just tell them there was a power cut....

Happy surfing - although surely you should be out & about having fun in Dubai, and not hunched over a hot lap-top???
I am not game to try driving yet and my fiancee is working until 2 or 3 most days but I am only here a week and I have lots of research to so as he has been offered a job and I trying to find out lots of info cost of living etc which is what led me to this blog originally. Also I was sentenced to having dial up for the past 8 months as we had moved from Sydney to a rural location and could not even get adsl so I am having a ball at the moment
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am not game to try driving yet and my fiancee is working until 2 or 3 most days but I am only here a week and I have lots of research to so as he has been offered a job and I trying to find out lots of info cost of living etc which is what led me to this blog originally. Also I was sentenced to having dial up for the past 8 months as we had moved from Sydney to a rural location and could not even get adsl so I am having a ball at the moment
Hey, congrats to both of you. If you've got any questions about anything related to living in Dubai, search through the Wiki & the threads. If you can't find the info that you're looking for, post a thread & people will do their utmost to help. If they're not hanging out in the pole-dancing club getting trashed, that is...