Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Other languages in Dubai

Other languages in Dubai

Old Dec 13th 2004, 4:50 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Other languages in Dubai

Firstly, this is my first post so please be gentle

I run a small IT company in the UK at present and will be moving to Dubai to start a new company there late 2005. I've just come back from a visit to suss things out and it all looks fantastic. I also spent a few hours with an expat friend out there who has also started a business and he seems very happy with the business environment and lifestyle.

My girlfriend is Brazilian, and I would very much like her to go with me. I realize I could just get married but I'd prefer to do that in a few years time and do it *properly* rather than have a quickie marriage at the register office in Wandsworth for visa purposes. Ideally she would want to find a job herself in Dubai, something that uses English and Portuguese would probably suit best since that's her USP. She was formally a lawyer in Brazil for what it's worth, so anything legal-related would be a bonus.

What is the job situation like for those with good English plus another European language and degree education? My feeling was that Dubai was very English-oriented, but there must be niche jobs that would require or certainly benefit from a second European language, especially with the amount of foreign trade going on in Dubai. I hear also that direct flights to Brazil may start up some time in 2005 and she previously worked for an airline in Brazil, so that might be an option.

I can certainly sponsor her for a 2 month visa so she could come to Dubai herself to job hunt and attend interviews, etc. Worst case scenario, I guess my company will employ her, but she'd rather be as independent as possible.

Would welcome any views/comments/suggestions
Old Dec 13th 2004, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

smartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Other languages in Dubai

I'm not sure where to start but possibly if there are any Brazilian embassies, consulates, or portugese for that matter. Those are worth a shot. Other then that cabin crew usually helps when you know more then a couple of languages.

Cheers,

D
Old Dec 13th 2004, 6:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If she spoke Japanese and Russian, those are langauges that are hot, especially for cabin crew right now...

But Spanish, don't know...try the schools and uni's? I know a mate did Spanish at his US school in Bahrain, different country...but just a thought...
Old Dec 13th 2004, 6:39 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But Spanish, don't know...try the schools and uni's? I know a mate did Spanish at his US school in Bahrain, different country...but just a thought...
Well it's portuguese in Brazil, but I think she can speak passable spanish too if required. I know a few people in Dubai already so will ask them to keep an ear to the ground - still a long time off. Maybe she has some contacts at her old airline who can help...
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:10 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by captainflack
Firstly, this is my first post so please be gentle

I run a small IT company in the UK at present and will be moving to Dubai to start a new company there late 2005. I've just come back from a visit to suss things out and it all looks fantastic. I also spent a few hours with an expat friend out there who has also started a business and he seems very happy with the business environment and lifestyle.

My girlfriend is Brazilian, and I would very much like her to go with me. I realize I could just get married but I'd prefer to do that in a few years time and do it *properly* rather than have a quickie marriage at the register office in Wandsworth for visa purposes. Ideally she would want to find a job herself in Dubai, something that uses English and Portuguese would probably suit best since that's her USP. She was formally a lawyer in Brazil for what it's worth, so anything legal-related would be a bonus.

What is the job situation like for those with good English plus another European language and degree education? My feeling was that Dubai was very English-oriented, but there must be niche jobs that would require or certainly benefit from a second European language, especially with the amount of foreign trade going on in Dubai. I hear also that direct flights to Brazil may start up some time in 2005 and she previously worked for an airline in Brazil, so that might be an option.

I can certainly sponsor her for a 2 month visa so she could come to Dubai herself to job hunt and attend interviews, etc. Worst case scenario, I guess my company will employ her, but she'd rather be as independent as possible.

Would welcome any views/comments/suggestions
Welcome to the forum Captain Flack.. I am sure u will enjoy urself on here meeting all of us nutty characters! lol

Cabin crew is prolly her best bet.... Emirates, I wud imagine, wud be happy to have her if she is multi-lingual.

I know that Emirates does a mega CV collection day once every year. They then sift through the lot and call up ppl for particular positions that they see fit.

Try their website for more info:
www.emirates.com

or give them a call and see wot they say:
+9714 214 44 44

hope that helps u out.