Reload this Page >

UK to UAE - Positive move?

UK to UAE - Positive move?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:49 am
Just Joined

mikeyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK to UAE - Positive move?

[B]
Hi - just joined. Anyone in Dubai looking for an architect?

Can anyone tell me what a great decision it was for them to move to Dubai from the UK? Any info regarding life in UAE would be of interest to me.

Thanks in advance :confused
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to UAE - Positive move?

Originally Posted by mikeyboy
[B]

Can anyone tell me what a great decision it was for them to move to Dubai from the UK? Any info regarding life in UAE would be of interest to me.

For me - it's been the best move ever.
Lifestyle is great
Weather is supurb
no taxes is bonus.
and in my field - civil engineering - the work is progressing at a huge pace.

...and driving on the roads here is such a relaxing experience

Just don't store your soft-top in the basement carpark....
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:27 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Positive attitude there!!!! Cant truly say that there is anything relaxing about it
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heart of gold

Positive attitude there!!!! Cant truly say that there is anything relaxing about it
I may have said that one with a hint of sarcasm.......
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:09 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelvynd
I may have said that one with a hint of sarcasm.......
Lol ..... I think so to
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:48 pm
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

[B]

You wanna narrow the question down a bit Mikey?? Exactly what aspects of life in Dubai are you intereseted in?

I think the only things I don't like are the stupid traffic and the feeling of living in the middle of a building site. Apart from that it's a fantastic way of life. Although I think you could get really lazy if you got totally into the lifestyle and then never be able to go back to the UK. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:18 pm
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kristy
You wanna narrow the question down a bit Mikey?? Exactly what aspects of life in Dubai are you intereseted in?

I think the only things I don't like are the stupid traffic and the feeling of living in the middle of a building site. Apart from that it's a fantastic way of life. Although I think you could get really lazy if you got totally into the lifestyle and then never be able to go back to the UK. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

My thoughts exactly Kristy...a building site. As for getting into the lifestyle we can all always go back to basics, which makes it even better. Been here since May, just got maid so have been doing everything...EVEN THE BIN BAGS!!!! The best thing for most Brits is that we have been brought up not to expect but appreciate when given
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:21 pm

QUOTE=Jellybean]My thoughts exactly Kristy...a building site. As for getting into the lifestyle we can all always go back to basics, which makes it even better. Been here since May, just got maid so have been doing everything...EVEN THE BIN BAGS!!!! The best thing for most Brits is that we have been brought up not to expect but appreciate when given [/QUOTE]
Been here a year and still do everything myself ... Including the BINS!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:25 pm
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=Jellybean]My thoughts exactly Kristy...a building site. As for getting into the lifestyle we can all always go back to basics, which makes it even better. Been here since May, just got maid so have been doing everything...EVEN THE BIN BAGS!!!! The best thing for most Brits is that we have been brought up not to expect but appreciate when given
Been here a year and still do everything myself ... Including the BINS!! [/QUOTE]

Mine never split do yours?
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Been here a year and still do everything myself ... Including the BINS!!
Mine never split do yours?[/QUOTE]
No! Never, but they do leak from time to time.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:44 pm
Banned

Mine never split do yours?
No! Never, but they do leak from time to time. [/QUOTE]

You see I can blame that on the maid tsk tsk
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:26 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

[B]

Any time spent living abroad is a great experience and life in Dubai can be damn good. Having said that, I do believe "the grass is never greener"...everywhere has it's plusses and minuses. It's what you make of it.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

mikeyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: UK to UAE - Positive move?

Thanks everyone for your input - I'm starting to get an impression of life in Dubai. I'm in the business of building sites so that doesn't sound too bad to me.
Kristy - thanks and sorry if my question is a bit ambiguous. I would like to know about money, working hours, social life and living costs - the stuff that makes a place attractive.

I have been working around Northern Europe for the past 10 years and have no desire to return to UK - can'f afford it for one thing!

I fancy a change of scenery, lifestyle and possibly of income - do you find that you are earning more in Dubai than UK purely due to the tax status or more and above that as well?
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:09 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your input - I'm starting to get an impression of life in Dubai. I'm in the business of building sites so that doesn't sound too bad to me.
Kristy - thanks and sorry if my question is a bit ambiguous. I would like to know about money, working hours, social life and living costs - the stuff that makes a place attractive.

I have been working around Northern Europe for the past 10 years and have no desire to return to UK - can'f afford it for one thing!

I fancy a change of scenery, lifestyle and possibly of income - do you find that you are earning more in Dubai than UK purely due to the tax status or more and above that as well?
I'm the wrong person to ask about money cos I'm on a nice expat contract i.e. my company relocated me and they're paying for the flat and car, so i do therefore have more money!! Rent sounds like it's a shocker so I'm glad about the flat part especially.

I'm also the wrong person to ask about working hours cos I do a lovely 9-5 day and get a Friday/Saturday weekend. I think a lot of people get Thursday pm/Friday.

I think the cost of living is pretty similar to the UK, although the no tax situation helps. Petrol is really cheap, certainly compared to the Uk anyway. Costs me about £6 to fill up my car. Some food is expensive, if its imported I think. Rent is the real problem.

Social aspect is great. Seems that because there's so many expats all in the same situation, it means people are really open to welcoming newcomers. And it's basically whatever kind of bar, club or restaurant you like, you'll be able to find it.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

kimberly88 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello everyone,
I am hopefully going ot dubai in june to do a seven week placement, and was wondering if any of you know about work permits and what things i need to work out there, also if there is any age restriction on people going out to work in dubai (as i am only 16)
thanks people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.