Oman - Muscat

Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

ianmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oman - Muscat

Hi all, new here. Had a look down the list and can't find a recent thread on living in Muscat. If there is another one then please point me in the direction.

I will most likely be moving out to Muscat around 1st October and have a few questions on accommodation.

Budget is up to 800 per month, but would prefer to spend a bit less. Looking to live in a mainly western area. Would prefer next to the beach (but that is not a deal breaker), with some amenities. Looking for 2 - 3 bedrooms, maybe a 2+1 apartment, since if the kids and family visit they'll only be sleeping there (I will be alone 75% of the time, the others can be the mrs and 1, 2 or 4 kids, I plan on buying sofa beds for when we are a full troop).

I won't be out on the town, but being near some decent social options is good. I'll mainly be heading off to the mountains cycling when I get the chance.

Which are the best areas? If the rates are negotiable how much do you generally expect to get off the advertised price.

Thanks!
Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:15 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - Muscat

800 “what” per month? USD, GBP, Euros, OMR?
Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

800 OMR, should have said!
Old Aug 9th 2020, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

May be a little out of date but the Explorer books were always good for those setting up.

https://www.askexplorer.com/corporat...n-guide-exp964

Also they did an Oman/Muscat off-road one. https://www.askexplorer.com/corporat...f-road-exp1679
Old Aug 10th 2020, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

With all that's happening with the oil crash and the aftermath (still ongoing in Oman) of Covid property prices have come down quite a bit (30% or more), you can easily find a villa for around 700-800 range a 2-3 Bed Apartment for around 400, in Madinat Quboos (MSQ) or Azaiba even in Al Qurm or depending on where you work a flat in the Wave for about 600+ OMR (Al Mouj). Some of a smaller compounds have swimming pools. In the past landlords would demand a whole years rent in advance, all that has changed and they are much more flexible so try to pay monthly or quarterly. And you can negotiate from the asking price quite a bit. Take a look at Vista Real Estate on Facebook. Saying all this job wise its not a great time to come to Oman loads of cuts and so many expats heading back, and more pain to come in the coming months Bloomberg had a few recent articles about the economic situation in Oman.

ER

Last edited by eastrunner; Aug 10th 2020 at 9:14 am.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Eastrunner! Much appreciated. I'll take a look on their website.

It looks like all the main locations are equidistant, or at least within a few km of each other from the office.

Is it worth paying the extra money for the convenience of living in Al Mouj, or is there better value in MSQ, Qurum or Azaiba?

Anybody know anything about Madinat Al Ilam?

Thanks, again
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

There's not much difference in MSQ or Al ilam, you will find better housing stock in Al Ilam, its pretty much the same area, we live in Azaiba/north Gubra border close to the beach. I honestly don't know the appeal of MSQ its concrete jungle, you want to be there if your kids go to the British School otherwise better to look in Shatti embassy quarter close to the beach or Azaiba.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, I've seen a few in Shatti and Al Mouj, which seem to tick all the boxes. The ones available in Azaiba don't have equipped kitchens and while I'd be happy with buying beds and furniture, I don't want to have to kit the whole place out.

Is there anything to do in the evenings in your area? Is it easy to pop out for food/drink?
Old Aug 14th 2020, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

asjglx will become famous soon enough

Which part of Muscat will you be working in? I'd avoid Al Mouj if it means you're heading in the direction Qurum everyday, and vice versa. The traffic in/out of Al Mouj and on 18th November Street used to get a bit annoying during the rush hours.

Madinat Al Ilam is very nice and you'll be close to lots of amenities. MSQ and Al Qurum are also cool places. The accommodation in Al Shatti is quite expensive, so you might not get much for your money, or if you do get a deal you'll be rattling around in an enormous villa.

Try to avoid the agents, they'll take a commission. I found all of my apartments in Muscat on OLX and made direct contact with the Omani owner.

For reference, I used to pay 550 OMR for a two bedroom apartment in Qurum. It had underground parking and a pool on the roof. It was a quiet area and within walking distance of the Crowne Plaza.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

It’s not far off halfway between Al Mouj and Qurum. 13km ish from Al Mouj, Qurum and MSQ. I wouldn’t mind being walking distance from The beach!

Old Aug 14th 2020, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

asjglx will become famous soon enough

Beach side of Nov 18th Street in either Azaiba or Gubrah are worth checking then.