Off to Libya soon

Old Jan 27th 2013, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to Libya soon

If going there now get a tin hat and a flak-jacket. A good insurance policy would be to have a document indicating conversion to the One True Faith, perhaps supplemented with fluency in the prayers in Arabic, a knowldge of the Shahda, and a familiarity with the opening Surah of the Koran.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

I would take the job mate but only so i could write a few extra lines on my CV. I know 4 guys who where there and really enjoyed it. They where there during the fighting and was actually evacuated by the british military as the camp they where staying on was close to being overrun. Previous to that though they said it was nice. Had freedom to go out and get fast food,go to the swimming pool etc.
Have you experianced living in a secure compound before? It really takes some getting used to especially when the weather starts getting bad. I did 8 months in southern Iraq in a camp last year and i will never ever go back there
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Yes---now i am waiting in Cyprus---ought to go to Libya around 20 Feb...
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:07 pm
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Camp life?
In the U.K., camp is an adjective, often associated with a stereotypical view of feminine gay men. The term has been in common use for many decades. Gay comedian Kenneth Williams wrote in a diary entry for 1 January 1947: "Went to Singapore with Stan - very camp evening, was followed, but tatty types so didn't bother to make overtures."[15] Although it applies to gay men, it is a specific adjective used to describe a man that openly promotes the fact that he is gay by being outwardly garish or eccentric, for example, the character Daffyd Thomas in the English comedy skit show Little Britain. "Camp" forms a strong element in U.K. culture, and many so-called gay-icons and objects are chosen as such because they are camp. People like Kylie Minogue, John Inman, Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen, Lulu, Graham Norton, Mika, Lesley Joseph, Ruby Wax, Dale Winton, Cilla Black, and the music hall tradition of the pantomime are camp elements in popular culture.[citation needed] [16] courtesy of Wiki
Methinks someone needs to come out of the closet.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Update -- Traveling to Libya on Thursday...Not taking any electrical appliances/devices...Ought to be interesting --- co. has a local curfew too!! (for the employees to be in camp by 16:00) Camp is located in Tripoli and there is also a desert camp.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just arrived in Tripoli---Chaos in Tripoli airport...Quite a few flags of the Free Libya...In my camp...Great Camp....Internet...Nice Food..That's about it...Shortly going to the Sahara...Similar camps there i believe...Another 138 days to see my family...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:09 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debowing
Just arrived in Tripoli---Chaos in Tripoli airport...Quite a few flags of the Free Libya...In my camp...Great Camp....Internet...Nice Food..That's about it...Shortly going to the Sahara...Similar camps there i believe...Another 138 days to see my family...
19 weeks and a bit will pass far quicker in a good camp with Internet.
Another plus,you will be going on leave in the highest of temperatures ergo
escaping the most uncomfortable and exhausting conditions.
Keep safe.
X
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

itcolin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I've just come across your post. I'm considering a job in Tripoli working for a Libyan oil company in IT. I can't find work in the UK where I live. How are you finding your job? Saefty is an obvious concern. Do you feel safe?

Cheers
Colin
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itcolin
Hi

I've just come across your post. I'm considering a job in Tripoli working for a Libyan oil company in IT. I can't find work in the UK where I live. How are you finding your job? Saefty is an obvious concern. Do you feel safe?

Cheers
Colin
No I do not ever feel safe here in Libya...However it is safe in the camp...Of course if you work in a company like mine where you are always locked up in a camp and are always driven around by Libyans it is safe in a way. Lots of celebratory gunshots at night. Actually Libyans per se are not a very dangerous lot but the overall feeling is unsafe...In the heart of the desert where I live now it is quite safe. Always keep documents with you and try not to use a UK passport to be here. I am here on my British passport now, but I will exit soon and re-enter on my Cypriot passport (they have less issues with Cyprus)- having said that, there are a few Brit expats around and the official rule of the caretaker government is that the British are welcome here...It sure doesn't feel that way though...You need to have big cohones to be British and move around here alone....So, to summarise, it depends on your company.

(19 more days to see my family...)

Last edited by Debowing; Apr 19th 2013 at 5:43 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

itcolin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi George

Thanks for that. Interesting comment about the UK passport. I will bear that in mind. Keep safe and enjoy your time at home.

Colin

No I do not ever feel safe here in Libya...However it is safe in the camp...Of course if you work in a company like mine where you are always locked up in a camp and are always driven around by Libyans it is safe in a way. Lots of celebratory gunshots at night. Actually Libyans per se are not a very dangerous lot but the overall feeling is unsafe...In the heart of the desert where I live now it is quite safe. Always keep documents with you and try not to use a UK passport to be here. I am here on my British passport now, but I will exit soon and re-enter on my Cypriot passport (they have less issues with Cyprus)- having said that, there are a few Brit expats around and the official rule of the caretaker government is that the British are welcome here...It sure doesn't feel that way though...You need to have big cohones to be British and move around here alone....So, to summarise, it depends on your company.

(19 more days to see my family...)
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend has asked me what I know of this place. "Nothing" is my answer so I am posting here. Anyone ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%27s_Lanuf
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22260856

French Embassy attacked in Tripoli this morning...they need a DQ like Riyadh