Off to Libya soon

Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Off to Libya soon

After I was not successful with my applications for work in Thailand, UAE I am accepting with a heavy heart an appointment in Libya.

Anyone in libya, please let me know, I have some questions regarding the life there.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Off to Libya soon

Originally Posted by Debowing
After I was not successful with my applications for work in Thailand, UAE I am accepting with a heavy heart an appointment in Libya.

Anyone in libya, please let me know, I have some questions regarding the life there.
Wow that's quite a move. I'm afraid I don't have any first hand experience but a friend of mine spent a year there (during the trouble and the capture of Gaddafi) and said it was dangerous at the time of course but also that the locals were incredibly lovely and helpful.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'll probably go there this year... if I do, I'll let you take me out for a beer.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:12 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the people of Libya are wishing Ghaddafi could come back (and not just his relatives) that should be a good indicator of how things are
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

phil squares is an unknown quantity at this point

Spent about 18 months living in Tripoli. Managed to get out just as things were kicking off there. It is a very interesting place to say the least It has the poteintial to be better than Dubai and other places in the ME. Great weather, cools down at night during the warmest part of the year.

However, the years of embargo has taken it's toll on the city. The people are great. Limited availability of western goods. No alcohol at all. All in all, pretty boring place to live.

I would be very hesitant to go there now as Tripoli is not under any one single police force but certain sections of Tripoli are controlled by certain groups.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

I don't know where I would be working but it looks like it would be at some god forsaken oil base somewhere in the sahara, but doing construction stuff...It is camp life...I just hope there won't be any terrorists...

I plan to take some electronic gadgets with me, like a TV, a satellite receiver, my lap top, a portable oscilloscope and a waveform generator (my hobby is electronics) - Something to kill time in the long nights in the camp. Do they confiscate stuff like that at the airport?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Camp life?
In the U.K., camp is an adjective, often associated with a stereotypical view of feminine gay men. The term has been in common use for many decades. Gay comedian Kenneth Williams wrote in a diary entry for 1 January 1947: "Went to Singapore with Stan - very camp evening, was followed, but tatty types so didn't bother to make overtures."[15] Although it applies to gay men, it is a specific adjective used to describe a man that openly promotes the fact that he is gay by being outwardly garish or eccentric, for example, the character Daffyd Thomas in the English comedy skit show Little Britain. "Camp" forms a strong element in U.K. culture, and many so-called gay-icons and objects are chosen as such because they are camp. People like Kylie Minogue, John Inman, Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen, Lulu, Graham Norton, Mika, Lesley Joseph, Ruby Wax, Dale Winton, Cilla Black, and the music hall tradition of the pantomime are camp elements in popular culture.[citation needed] [16] courtesy of Wiki
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where I would be working but it looks like it would be at some god forsaken oil base somewhere in the sahara, but doing construction stuff...It is camp life...I just hope there won't be any terrorists...

I plan to take some electronic gadgets with me, like a TV, a satellite receiver, my lap top, a portable oscilloscope and a waveform generator (my hobby is electronics) - Something to kill time in the long nights in the camp. Do they confiscate stuff like that at the airport?
You should be fine on a Camp. Do you have a good leave rota schedule ? Oh and good luck at customs with all that kit. You might want to get it sent to you via your company if that possible.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'll probably go there this year... if I do, I'll let you take me out for a beer.
You will need to go to Tunisia to take anyone out for a beer !
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

FCO has today (24 January '13) issued warnings that British Nationals should leave Benghazi because of real threats to their security.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hong_konger
You should be fine on a Camp. Do you have a good leave rota schedule ? Oh and good luck at customs with all that kit. You might want to get it sent to you via your company if that possible.
I will investigate that...
G
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Camp life?
In the U.K., camp is an adjective, often associated with a stereotypical view of feminine gay men. The term has been in common use for many decades. Gay comedian Kenneth Williams wrote in a diary entry for 1 January 1947: "Went to Singapore with Stan - very camp evening, was followed, but tatty types so didn't bother to make overtures."[15] Although it applies to gay men, it is a specific adjective used to describe a man that openly promotes the fact that he is gay by being outwardly garish or eccentric, for example, the character Daffyd Thomas in the English comedy skit show Little Britain. "Camp" forms a strong element in U.K. culture, and many so-called gay-icons and objects are chosen as such because they are camp. People like Kylie Minogue, John Inman, Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen, Lulu, Graham Norton, Mika, Lesley Joseph, Ruby Wax, Dale Winton, Cilla Black, and the music hall tradition of the pantomime are camp elements in popular culture.[citation needed] [16] courtesy of Wiki
I have heard of the term camp too,

What I mean in this context is different. Camp in my company means prefab houses (we call them muvahomes) and catering is in a Mess...There is European Mess, Indian Mess, etc...That is what I meant by camp life, nothing to do with homosexuality.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I will probably take you out for a diet coke, but I may by then have mastered the home brewing art so I can offer you something stronger at my residence...
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Camp" here just means a compound in the boondocks, often in the desert.

The word existed before Kenneth Williams and his Polari-speakers stole it, justr as the word "gay" used to have a different meaning.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did actually get what camp life meant- thought I was being funny but apparently failed yet again- I'll get my coat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.