Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

no salary for 4 months

no salary for 4 months

Old Jul 15th 2019, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default no salary for 4 months

Hi Folks, was wondering if anyone can share any advice/help.
Someone I know of (Syrian national) has not been paid for 4 months. He is not the only one in the company who hasn't been paid....apparently numerous other employees have also not been paid. The company keeps promising to pay them but nothing materalises and it's now been 4 months (including Jun salary). I don't think it's been 4 months straight, i think the salaries have been paid here and there eg paid 1 month and then not paid the following couple of months. In total 4 months worth of salaries are still outstanding.
Some people have managed to get other jobs and have left, and I think have lodged cases against the company for back pay. The others who are still working for the company are constantly looking for other jobs to try and get out. It's a construction company and management keep saying that they can't pay the salaries because the clients are not paying them.
Some of them, including the person i am talking about, are reluctant to lodge a case with whichever governing body deals with these kind of disputes (Labour Government or whatever it's called) because they are afraid that if they make a formal complaint, the company will then (under false pretences) fire them and they will then completely be out of pocket.
I have no idea how these things work but surely there must be some kind of recourse these people can turn too? If anyone can share any advice that would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 6:13 am
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: no salary for 4 months

Can you give an idea of location are we talking about UAE, Qatar, KSA?

Only observation is that if the employer has no cash to pay out, you can’t draw blood out of a stone and the courts can’t magic up money, only shareholders and lenders can. This is true anywhere.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fth
Can you give an idea of location are we talking about UAE, Qatar, KSA?

Only observation is that if the employer has no cash to pay out, you can’t draw blood out of a stone and the courts can’t magic up money, only shareholders and lenders can. This is true anywhere.
the lender is not your friend in times of distress
Old Jul 16th 2019, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Read the contract carefully and the associated labour law. I believe everyone who hasn't been paid is a free agent, and can leave for other companies on no notice and without the usual penalties or threat of absconder status.

I can't remember if it is something like 90 days without pay, or if just one missed pay suffices.

The company can fire people but that does not erase the back wages, which are still collectable.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's one thing to have laws and statutes but where is the benefit when those charged with enforcing them are beholden to, in the pay of, in thrall of, the accused?
Qatar has implemented such laws, complete with departments and organisations charged with providing recourse and yet the tales still continue of unpaid wages and instant terminations.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fth
Can you give an idea of location are we talking about UAE, Qatar, KSA? sorry should have said - it's in Dubai

Fair point - but i get the impression that top management are getting paid and so i don't think it's strictly a case of the company not getting paid by their debtors/clients.

Old Aug 4th 2019, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carcajou
Read the contract carefully and the associated labour law. I believe everyone who hasn't been paid is a free agent, and can leave for other companies on no notice and without the usual penalties or threat of absconder status.

I can't remember if it is something like 90 days without pay, or if just one missed pay suffices.

The company can fire people but that does not erase the back wages, which are still collectable.
Thank you - will convey this.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by martinbkk
It's one thing to have laws and statutes but where is the benefit when those charged with enforcing them are beholden to, in the pay of, in thrall of, the accused?
Qatar has implemented such laws, complete with departments and organisations charged with providing recourse and yet the tales still continue of unpaid wages and instant terminations.
Totally - i can't believe that this kind of thing still goes on, without the companies being penalised in any way.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Just peeked in after 10 years and sad to see some things still haven't changed much at all.

I think there is a reporting mechanism now in place, perhaps he can try that as his first port of call?

https://government.ae/en/information...layed-salaries

I'll try and get more information on how effective or robust the process is.