British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   no salary for 4 months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/no-salary-4-months-926433/)

mission Jul 15th 2019 10:02 am

no salary for 4 months

Hi Folks, was wondering if anyone can share any advice/help.
Someone I know of (Syrian national) has not been paid for 4 months. He is not the only one in the company who hasn't been paid....apparently numerous other employees have also not been paid. The company keeps promising to pay them but nothing materalises and it's now been 4 months (including Jun salary). I don't think it's been 4 months straight, i think the salaries have been paid here and there eg paid 1 month and then not paid the following couple of months. In total 4 months worth of salaries are still outstanding.
Some people have managed to get other jobs and have left, and I think have lodged cases against the company for back pay. The others who are still working for the company are constantly looking for other jobs to try and get out. It's a construction company and management keep saying that they can't pay the salaries because the clients are not paying them.
Some of them, including the person i am talking about, are reluctant to lodge a case with whichever governing body deals with these kind of disputes (Labour Government or whatever it's called) because they are afraid that if they make a formal complaint, the company will then (under false pretences) fire them and they will then completely be out of pocket.
I have no idea how these things work but surely there must be some kind of recourse these people can turn too? If anyone can share any advice that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

fth Jul 16th 2019 6:13 am

Re: no salary for 4 months

Can you give an idea of location are we talking about UAE, Qatar, KSA?

Only observation is that if the employer has no cash to pay out, you can’t draw blood out of a stone and the courts can’t magic up money, only shareholders and lenders can. This is true anywhere.

Millhouse Jul 16th 2019 6:22 am

Originally Posted by fth (Post 12710899)
Can you give an idea of location are we talking about UAE, Qatar, KSA?

Only observation is that if the employer has no cash to pay out, you can’t draw blood out of a stone and the courts can’t magic up money, only shareholders and lenders can. This is true anywhere.

the lender is not your friend in times of distress

carcajou Jul 16th 2019 8:50 am

Read the contract carefully and the associated labour law. I believe everyone who hasn't been paid is a free agent, and can leave for other companies on no notice and without the usual penalties or threat of absconder status.

I can't remember if it is something like 90 days without pay, or if just one missed pay suffices.

The company can fire people but that does not erase the back wages, which are still collectable.

martinbkk Jul 20th 2019 7:06 am

It's one thing to have laws and statutes but where is the benefit when those charged with enforcing them are beholden to, in the pay of, in thrall of, the accused?
Qatar has implemented such laws, complete with departments and organisations charged with providing recourse and yet the tales still continue of unpaid wages and instant terminations.

mission Aug 4th 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fth (Post 12710899)
Can you give an idea of location are we talking about UAE, Qatar, KSA? sorry should have said - it's in Dubai

Fair point - but i get the impression that top management are getting paid and so i don't think it's strictly a case of the company not getting paid by their debtors/clients.

mission Aug 4th 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12710935)
Read the contract carefully and the associated labour law. I believe everyone who hasn't been paid is a free agent, and can leave for other companies on no notice and without the usual penalties or threat of absconder status.

I can't remember if it is something like 90 days without pay, or if just one missed pay suffices.

The company can fire people but that does not erase the back wages, which are still collectable.

Thank you - will convey this.

mission Aug 4th 2019 11:47 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12712751)
It's one thing to have laws and statutes but where is the benefit when those charged with enforcing them are beholden to, in the pay of, in thrall of, the accused?
Qatar has implemented such laws, complete with departments and organisations charged with providing recourse and yet the tales still continue of unpaid wages and instant terminations.

Totally - i can't believe that this kind of thing still goes on, without the companies being penalised in any way.

IndieG Aug 9th 2019 1:48 am

Just peeked in after 10 years and sad to see some things still haven't changed much at all.

I think there is a reporting mechanism now in place, perhaps he can try that as his first port of call?

https://government.ae/en/information...layed-salaries

I'll try and get more information on how effective or robust the process is.