Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No car - where is realistically liveable?

No car - where is realistically liveable?

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:10 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No car - where is realistically liveable?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And that's being generous.
Yup.

I used to walk that from the car park to the entrance of my old workplace, and I'd still end up soaked in sweat.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:11 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlemissmo83
How long does it take to acclimatize to the weather? Is it warm in January?
January is bliss. It'll be about 25ºC.

Summer on the other hand... Hmmm. You have to do one before your blood will thin out. No way of getting around that one I'm afraid.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:43 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
January is bliss. It'll be about 25ºC.

Summer on the other hand... Hmmm. You have to do one before your blood will thin out. No way of getting around that one I'm afraid.
Nice during the day but chilly at night. January evening need jumpers (& more for some of us). Do you think anyone really acclimatises to a Dubai summer? You learn to deal with it, but no one is comfortable in 50c.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in the Gulf for about 14 years now. I get physically ill if I am out for more than 5 minutes when it is around/above 50C out.
Around 40 -45 is doable for about 10 minutes.

And about walking..it's not only about the heat, but about non existing sidewalks, cars not being aware of pedestrians, cars stopping to inquire about "availability" etc.

So, walking in gulf countries? For me, no way!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you do avoid buildings with district cooling charges as it means you pay separately for your AC charges and it can be quite high. JLT is district cooling. Look into the Marina or the Greens and TECOM. The latter two are easy commutes via bus or metro to JLT.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:38 am
You read these things?

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Whatever you do avoid buildings with district cooling charges as it means you pay separately for your AC charges and it can be quite high. JLT is district cooling. Look into the Marina or the Greens and TECOM. The latter two are easy commutes via bus or metro to JLT.
Also avoid split AC like the plague too. It's not much cheaper.

I paid 1600AED a month in DEWA for a two bed in JLT. Actually. Just avoid Al Waleed Paradise all together. The lifts are shit (would take more than 60 seconds to go 29 floors, assuming no one else was in the lift or called it), and the facilities management team are incompetent (they 'tried' to fix my AC five times, and never did in the end).

Compare that with 225AED a month for DEWA in the Greens which is central.

So in recap.

District: Avoid like the plague.
Split: Avoid like a lesser, but still horrible plague.
Central: The way to go; but just make sure they aren't planning on putting meters in anytime soon, otherwise it becomes district-esque.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I've got district cooling and it's not really any hassle, apart from paying it (have to go to Em. NBD cash machine).

I'd rather not pay for it but I use it a lot so don't mind.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

littlemissmo83 is an unknown quantity at this point

are these the air conditioning providers, or energy companies?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:52 pm
You read these things?

Originally Posted by littlemissmo83
are these the air conditioning providers, or energy companies?
DEWA is the one and only electricity company out here.

The others are District Cooling companies.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Sheets Petite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey littlemissmo83,

I am sorry to drop in to your thread like this but I have just joined and I haven't made enough posts to PM you.

I will be moving to Dubai in May/June and will also be based at JLT. I was wondering whether you have moved out there already and also if you could offer me any tips please?

I am a 32 yr old single female and the whole thing is a little daunting for me. I would be grateful for any help!

Thank you,

Sheets Petite