Reload this Page >

Newbie moving to Dubai - accommodation help

Newbie moving to Dubai - accommodation help

Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Arfana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie moving to Dubai - accommodation help

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why isn't the company booking your accommodation for when you arrive?
It's not something they offer in the package. I'm transferring with my current employer and I'm not at a certain level where they would offer it.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Bonus for relocating you to a new country?

Allows you to build up enough savings to start paying rent, which is usually in 1-4 cheques for the year?

Good god, you'd think the company was doing you a favour when it's really you doing the company a favour by uprooting yourself and moving to a strange country.

Thankfully I work for nice companies.
You're doing the company that pay your salary a favour?

I'll tell that to the 358 internal applicants we had this year who are desperate / very keen to move overseas....tell them to demand more money because they're doing this part of the business a favour

This online persona of yours is the gift that just keeps on giving.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're doing the company that pay your salary a favour?

I'll tell that to the 358 internal applicants we had this year who are desperate / very keen to move overseas....tell them to demand more money because they're doing this part of the business a favour

This online persona of yours is the gift that just keeps on giving.
Better to say we both do each other a favour. They treat me well, I treat them well (and allow them to make a lot of money).

I wouldn't touch an offer that didn't provide me with a good relocation package and that includes free accom for at least a month or two in the Middle East, ideally long enough to pass the probation period.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Better to say we both do each other a favour. They treat me well, I treat them well (and allow them to make a lot of money).

I wouldn't touch an offer that didn't provide me with a good relocation package and that includes free accom for at least a month or two in the Middle East, ideally long enough to pass the probation period.
Fair enough, everyone has their own expectations. Sticking to them is important if they're important. Saying you want something and then just taking what you're given is pointless.

As with school fees or flights or medical or holiday allowance etc. I take great joy in letting some folk know we won't be proceeding with them because they want us to bend and break rules just for them. It's glorious.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 1:05 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

In your case though I'm sure you'd move just for the celery.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
In your case though I'm sure you'd move just for the celery.
Negative calories.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:59 am
Banned

StuK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arfana
Hi

I'm Arfana and I'm a recruitment consultant living in the UK. I will be relocating to Dubai in 3 weeks and have been lucky enough to secure a role by transferring with my current employer which makes me feel better about moving. However, I've not been able to secure accommodation yet. Ideally I'd like to live in difc so I'm near my office. Can anyone help/advise?

Thanks.
Arfana,

There are plenty of ways you can get accommodation, some more ethical and genuine than others.

I moved to Dubai from the UK in Nov 2017 and viewed 15 different apartments using 6 different "agents". From this, I have a list of what I believe to be good real estate contacts - should you want them.

They generally communicate through WhatsApp, making it very easy to see apartments and set up viewings.
Get in touch if you need assistance, I'd be more than happy to help! Regards
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Arfana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice! Luckily I have been able to secure a place this weekend and will be moving in on the 10th. So for now I'm all sorted.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by StuK
Arfana,

There are plenty of ways you can get accommodation, some more ethical and genuine than others.

I moved to Dubai from the UK in Nov 2017 and viewed 15 different apartments using 6 different "agents". From this, I have a list of what I believe to be good real estate contacts - should you want them.

They generally communicate through WhatsApp, making it very easy to see apartments and set up viewings.
Get in touch if you need assistance, I'd be more than happy to help! Regards
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:52 am
Too
Just Joined

Too is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice.. don't get tied into a year contract straight away. Look on dubbizzle for monthly rental options as there are plenty.