Reload this Page >

Newbie moving to Dubai - accommodation help

Newbie moving to Dubai - accommodation help

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Arfana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie moving to Dubai - accommodation help

Hi

I'm Arfana and I'm a recruitment consultant living in the UK. I will be relocating to Dubai in 3 weeks and have been lucky enough to secure a role by transferring with my current employer which makes me feel better about moving. However, I've not been able to secure accommodation yet. Ideally I'd like to live in difc so I'm near my office. Can anyone help/advise?

Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

yassar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie moving to Dubai - accommodation help

Hi Arfana.

I found myself with the same problem up until a week ago. I leave for Dubai on the 28th January.

If you have to source your own accommodation. The best thing you can do is find out from your company where most of the expats stay and what areas are popular. Your finances will determine on how close you are too your workplace.

If you are going to be staying in accommodation for a year, Then this will be cheaper as you can negotiate your price. But Agents will know you will need an apartment come rain or shine. So there will only be so much negotiations you can do from the U.K

What i did, I contacted many agents on dubizzle trying to locate a nice enough apartment. I am prepared to travel to work so Sportcity was something that interested me.

I needed an apartment on a monthly basis as my work is partly commissioned base so my ideal goal is to move closer. After conversing via Whatapp. I found each agent was different some wants 5% per month commission some wants 5% divided by the 12months.

I later secured an apartment in SportCity Including Bills, Wifi for 6000AED. This was done via AirBnb. Once speaking to the owner. I had a better chance to negotiate as there was no commission involved and no middle man.

I hope this helps.
Happy Hunting
Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Arfana - I'd get somewhere trmporary as Yassar says and then spend some time looking at different areas until you decide where you want to live. Also, this isn't the western world so organising and negotiating with agents without viewing a property is likely to end in tears.

So either a airbnb or serviced apartment sound the best bet for a month or two.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yassar
Hi Arfana.

I found myself with the same problem up until a week ago. I leave for Dubai on the 28th January.

If you have to source your own accommodation. The best thing you can do is find out from your company where most of the expats stay and what areas are popular. Your finances will determine on how close you are too your workplace.

If you are going to be staying in accommodation for a year, Then this will be cheaper as you can negotiate your price. But Agents will know you will need an apartment come rain or shine. So there will only be so much negotiations you can do from the U.K

What i did, I contacted many agents on dubizzle trying to locate a nice enough apartment. I am prepared to travel to work so Sportcity was something that interested me.

I needed an apartment on a monthly basis as my work is partly commissioned base so my ideal goal is to move closer. After conversing via Whatapp. I found each agent was different some wants 5% per month commission some wants 5% divided by the 12months.

I later secured an apartment in SportCity Including Bills, Wifi for 6000AED. This was done via AirBnb. Once speaking to the owner. I had a better chance to negotiate as there was no commission involved and no middle man.

I hope this helps.
Happy Hunting
Hi Yasser

Thanks for the info. I'm leaving on the 27th and I've booked an airbnb for the first 2 weeks whilst I look for accommodation. I have messaged a few people on dubizzle but haven't had much success yet. My company is really nice so I'm hoping they'll be able to help more once I'm actually there.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Arfana - I'd get somewhere trmporary as Yassar says and then spend some time looking at different areas until you decide where you want to live. Also, this isn't the western world so organising and negotiating with agents without viewing a property is likely to end in tears.

So either a airbnb or serviced apartment sound the best bet for a month or two.
Thanks! Yes I have booked an airbnb for the first 2 weeks of my stay. I may need to extend should I not be able to find anything. I would have liked to have it sorted before I move but I can understand your point and want relocating to be as smooth as possible.

Really appreciate your advice!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arfana
Thanks! Yes I have booked an airbnb for the first 2 weeks of my stay. I may need to extend should I not be able to find anything. I would have liked to have it sorted before I move but I can understand your point and want relocating to be as smooth as possible.

Good plan. The ME doesn't work like the Western world.... people don't check or answer emails, listings on line may or may not actually exist etc etc. With the best will in the world having something suitable / in the right location / at an appropriate price / that you are happy with all set up before you arrived would be a miracle. It's hassle enough when you are here.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

yassar is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this problem on Dubizzle, Im a little OCD so i had to get an international calling card and ring the companies on Dubizzle. I think if you have airbnb sorted. And you like the place, Speak to the owner and get a discount for a month or so. As Airbnb take a commission aswell as agents.

All the best for Dubai. I hope it really works out for you
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

I'm the same - bit of a stress-head to be honest so wanted it all sorted before I move. I've spoken to a colleague in Dubai and she's assured me this is standard practice there so you've done well to sort something out before you fly.

Hope it all works out for you too!

Originally Posted by yassar
I had this problem on Dubizzle, Im a little OCD so i had to get an international calling card and ring the companies on Dubizzle. I think if you have airbnb sorted. And you like the place, Speak to the owner and get a discount for a month or so. As Airbnb take a commission aswell as agents.

All the best for Dubai. I hope it really works out for you
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hi Yasser

Thanks for the info. I'm leaving on the 27th and I've booked an airbnb for the first 2 weeks whilst I look for accommodation. I have messaged a few people on dubizzle but haven't had much success yet. My company is really nice so I'm hoping they'll be able to help more once I'm actually there.

Thanks for the advice!
Why isn't the company booking your accommodation for when you arrive?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why isn't the company booking your accommodation for when you arrive?
We don't
Old Jan 7th 2018, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
We don't
We book it but you pay for it out of your accommodation allowance.

Seems fair. Not booking and making someone work it out for themselves from 000's of miles away seems deliberately unhelpful?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:36 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Seems fair. Not booking and making someone work it out for themselves from 000's of miles away seems deliberately unhelpful?
Downright sadisitic!

If we relocate somebody we give them a free month in a hotel - only about AED10k when you negotiate a monthly rate in a decent 3/4 star.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Downright sadisitic!

If we relocate somebody we give them a free month in a hotel - only about AED10k when you negotiate a monthly rate in a decent 3/4 star.
I moved to the UAE twice. First time I received three months' free stay in a hotel apartment. Second time it was only a month (also free) but that was fine for me as I was working in AD and wanted to be in Dubai.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Downright sadisitic!

I think that's nice and very generous.
We would take that month's accommodation allowance off them and if it was over that, we'd cover the extra.

Why should we pay you accommodation allowance AND give you accommodation?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's nice and very generous.
We would take that month's accommodation allowance off them and if it was over that, we'd cover the extra.

Why should we pay you accommodation allowance AND give you accommodation?
Bonus for relocating you to a new country?

Allows you to build up enough savings to start paying rent, which is usually in 1-4 cheques for the year?

Good god, you'd think the company was doing you a favour when it's really you doing the company a favour by uprooting yourself and moving to a strange country.

Thankfully I work for nice companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.