Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

As a newbie - Alcohol what's the score?

As a newbie - Alcohol what's the score?

Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

jason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nice
Default As a newbie - Alcohol what's the score?

If I want to buy some spirits from a UAE store (whatever that is) do I need a licence? I have heard things from my TimeOut Guide book that you need one? Please help as I'm a dependent!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:23 pm

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: As a newbie - Alcohol what's the score?

Originally Posted by jason4004
If I want to buy some spirits from a UAE store (whatever that is) do I need a licence? I have heard things from my TimeOut Guide book that you need one? Please help as I'm a dependent!
If you use search on the top bar, you'll find a host of different threads on the subject.......
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jason4004
yes you do but you can go to some of the northern emirates and buy it without. strictly speaking you will be breaking the law though.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

skyvan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
yes you do but you can go to some of the northern emirates and buy it without. strictly speaking you will be breaking the law though.
While chatting about this, can a person bring alcohol into the country when flying in?

I will be arriving in a week, and would love to be able to bring in a bottle of my favourite tipple!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyvan
While chatting about this, can a person bring alcohol into the country when flying in?

I will be arriving in a week, and would love to be able to bring in a bottle of my favourite tipple!
yes. there is a duty free next to baggage claim at Dubai airport
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

skyvan is an unknown quantity at this point

yes. there is a duty free next to baggage claim at Dubai airport
Thanks for that!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by skyvan
Thanks for that!
but having it at home without a licence will be illegal. but its done by huge numbers of people including Muslims who would not be allowed alcohol licences.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

but having it at home without a licence will be illegal. but its done by huge numbers of people including Muslims who would not be allowed alcohol licences.
Yep, I've still not got mine sorted and to be honest, I'm in no rush to!!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Biene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud of

illegal but accepted.. if you have a party and the police are called just offer them a beer....
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Biene zwei
illegal but accepted.. if you have a party and the police are called just offer them a beer....
there speaks the voice of experience
welcome back BZ
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Biene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud of

there speaks the voice of experience
welcome back BZ
inselthingy.. how are you..?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

inselthingy.. how are you..?
getting better thanks
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

getting better thanks
have you been ill all this time..?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

have you been ill all this time..?
yup. back to work today after an abortive attempt to go back last week.
still not 100pct but will hit the quiz tomorrow night.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

yup. back to work today after an abortive attempt to go back last week.
still not 100pct but will hit the quiz tomorrow night.
oh well.. i always try but never get there, work work work for me