Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The REAL Abu Dhabi

The REAL Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute
Default The REAL Abu Dhabi

Hi Guys

Bit of advice if you can help.

There is a distinct possibility that I maybe offered a job on the Al Raha Beach Development in Abu Dhabi sometime next week.

I think the moneys is good £50K, accomodation, car etc. also paid for and I would dearly love my missus & 2 young kids (4 & 8) to move over with me.

Trouble is, the missus is rightly so a little apprehensive & she openly admits if the job was in Austalia she would already be packing !

She worries about the schooling, the culture, the weather and the 'big city' culture of Abu Dhabi.

I am really looking for re-assurance from you guys out there that the place is a wonderful as everyone makes out. I have no problem heading to the UAE I see it as a big step in the right direction and see it as a 'stepping stone' into Australia in maybe 4/5 years.

Any advice or assurances would be most welcome
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:04 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The REAL Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
Hi Guys

There is a distinct possibility that I maybe offered a job on the Al Raha Beach Development in Abu Dhabi sometime next week.

I think the moneys is good £50K, accomodation, car etc. also paid for and I would dearly love my missus & 2 young kids (4 & 8) to move over with me.

Trouble is, the missus is rightly so a little apprehensive & she openly admits if the job was in Austalia she would already be packing !

She worries about the schooling, the culture, the weather and the 'big city' culture of Abu Dhabi.
I am really looking for re-assurance from you guys out there that the place is a wonderful as everyone makes out. I have no problem heading to the UAE I see it as a big step in the right direction and see it as a 'stepping stone' into Australia in maybe 4/5 years.

Revised answer cos clearly regular posters are out on the town or fast asleep.I recently moved back to UK from spells in Dubai and Abu Dhabi-already I am regretting it.
OK .You down at Al Raha? -Laing O'Rourke?.Know a few of the PM's there.They are pushing on with the development but still woudln't be like anything you know it in terms of H&S etc...Not your prob
Lifestyle? 3 bed near the Beach Development............240.000dhs;school?Hear there is a new school opening Al Yasmina(Aldar- your Co ultimately) maybe discounts.-BUT already moving towards fully subscribed.
If you can get kids into school-they wont look back .Fabulous opportunities here.Granted the process to get here is tedious, I am sure your family will settle into AD life and enjoy benefits of same

Good luck

Last edited by Eva; Mar 13th 2008 at 11:26 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

I got quire excited then............................thought someone had bothered to reply with a sensible answer !

Glad you like the name Eva !
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

The money is so good because no one else can do the job out here! The locals and the hired help are useless! Sayin that, it's not a bad place. I drive past ARaha every morning. It's a massive site and I can't see it being finished for years.
The schooling is v v gd, culture is a lot (not a bit) of a shock - get used to being called sir and Mr etc! The weather is g8 apart from the early morning fog - check earlier threads.
As for the 'big city culture' of Abu Dhabi, I can recommend this place to anyone.

Go for it bud!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Haahahahahahhaha

Sorry luv your name
Sensible answers to follow
from other members of course
Wtf are you doin up at this time?! I'm just tryin to drain a bottle of wine!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chris79
The money is so good because no one else can do the job out here! The locals and the hired help are useless! Sayin that, it's not a bad place. I drive past ARaha every morning. It's a massive site and I can't see it being finished for years.
The schooling is v v gd, culture is a lot (not a bit) of a shock - get used to being called sir and Mr etc! The weather is g8 apart from the early morning fog - check earlier threads.
As for the 'big city culture' of Abu Dhabi, I can recommend this place to anyone.

Go for it bud!
Thanks for the advice Chris, there is no doubt I am definately going for it (with or without the wife !)

Fingers crossed I sail through the telephone interview at noon on Saturday & hopefully I will be flying out within the month!

This is an opportunity that I just can't turn down !
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the advice Chris, there is no doubt I am definately going for it (with or without the wife !)

Fingers crossed I sail through the telephone interview at noon on Saturday & hopefully I will be flying out within the month!

This is an opportunity that I just can't turn down !
Well, Go for it
Don't forget to pack the suntan creme, gettin hot out here now.
Send me a PM when you get out, we can meet up for a beer or ten!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not a problem mate always up for a beer or ten !

Now wheres that damn licence .....................
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:32 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Wtf are you doin up at this time?! I'm just tryin to drain a bottle of wine!

Hahaahaahaha

I am in UK Chris.........
So it is not yet the bewitching hour.........
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eva
Hahaahaahaha

I am in UK Chris.........
So it is not yet the bewitching hour.........
Fair enough! Tis the bewitchin hour here and I need my beauty sleep. Finished the wine though
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:38 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Go for it bud!

Ooooooooooooh!The locals and hired help are not useless!!!!!!Could you do 16 hurs a day in sweltering heat and plastic jackets for $4?

Stronger mindsets than namby bamby westerners who go on strike at the drop of fresh cucumber from Town Hall Conference Sandwiches.

Weather just now is perfeckt;July Aug Sept-indoors from 1-5pm

That said, Abu Dhabi is a great place to live
Best of luck and don't hesitate to pm
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:39 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair enough! Tis the bewitchin hour here and I need my beauty sleep. Finished the wine though

Good Man........White/Red.............year?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eva
Good Man........White/Red.............year?
We've had both tonight! Been to Rodeo Grill at the Beach Rotana.
Finished off a nice Sancerre at home. One of my favs
Are you a bit of a wine buff, we might have to sink a few next time your over
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eva
Ooooooooooooh!The locals and hired help are not useless!!!!!!Could you do 16 hurs a day in sweltering heat and plastic jackets for $4?

Stronger mindsets than namby bamby westerners who go on strike at the drop of fresh cucumber from Town Hall Conference Sandwiches.

Weather just now is perfeckt;July Aug Sept-indoors from 1-5pm

That said, Abu Dhabi is a great place to live
Best of luck and don't hesitate to pm
I know I shouldn't call them but they only seem to have two speeds (slow and reverse - however if I was only being paid that much I would probably do the same!)
Is not illegal to work from 12 -3 for 3 months?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eva
Revised answer cos clearly regular posters are out on the town or fast asleep.I recently moved back to UK from spells in Dubai and Abu Dhabi-already I am regretting it.
OK .You down at Al Raha? -Laing O'Rourke?.Know a few of the PM's there.They are pushing on with the development but still woudln't be like anything you know it in terms of H&S etc...Not your prob
Lifestyle? 3 bed near the Beach Development............240.000dhs;school?Hear there is a new school opening Al Yasmina(Aldar- your Co ultimately) maybe discounts.-BUT already moving towards fully subscribed.
If you can get kids into school-they wont look back .Fabulous opportunities here.Granted the process to get here is tedious, I am sure your family will settle into AD life and enjoy benefits of same

Good luck
Thanks for the info Eva

Yeah its with a LO'R subsidary, a mate of mine has just landed the same job that I have applied for (two positions), currently out there for a two week reccy. Meeting up when he gets back to the UK for a beer and a chat.

Hopefully I will be doing the same in about a month or so !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.