Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

PADLEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEW MEMBER

Hi to all the users of this site.
Have just found this site and hope to pick up some tips on life in Dubai.
I am in the process of buying an apartment in Dubai, although delays keep pushing completion date back further.
Am looking for some advice and would appreciate your comments.
Firstly, if I ship furniture from the UK, are their any import duties to pay.
Secondly, do you need a licence to have alchohol in your apartment.
Sorry to hear the new years eve celebrations have been cancelled. Hope you all can see the new year in in some fashion
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:56 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEW MEMBER

Originally Posted by PADLEY
I am in the process of buying an apartment in Dubai, although delays keep pushing completion date back further.
Sorry to hear the new years eve celebrations have been cancelled. Hope you all can see the new year in in some fashion
Oooh god, not another scouser!

You have bought an apartment and the handover date is an ever moving target; no surprise there then. However, do you intend to live in Dubai or use the apartment as a holiday home? Residency comes into question here.

If you ship furniture, provided it's not new, you normally don't pay taxes. If you have something that does qualify for Customs Duty, it's 5% unless it's booze.

Yes, you will need a booze licence and to get that you need a residency visa, and to get that, you need a sponsor; simple, init?

Also, don't be fooled by what you see and hear; it'a a lot worse than that!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

You are not Steven Gerrard are you? Why on earth would you want to buy an apartment in Dubai when its value is likely to fall dramatically next year? Welcome to BE.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Roadking,
Apartment initially meant to be a holiday home.
Was supposed to get a residency visa on completion, but believe that has now changed.
How do you go about getting a visa and what is the criteria for being a sponsor.
As an obvious scouse admirer, does that mean you are volunteering to be my sponsor.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shadya
You are not Steven Gerrard are you? Why on earth would you want to buy an apartment in Dubai when its value is likely to fall dramatically next year? Welcome to BE.
Bought off plan 2 1/2 years ago. In it for the long haul, so just after bite the bullet next year.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:30 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Bought off plan 2 1/2 years ago. In it for the long haul, so just after bite the bullet next year.
You didn't answer the question...Are you Steven Gerrard, that could influence your ability to get a visa. More chance if you are not.

Sponsor needs to be a local unless you have a Free Zone business, in which case the FZ sponsors you, as I understand it. I'm not the best to ask as many here have much more experience than me (I'm just a yung 'un. hahahaha!)

Shouldn't be an issue if for holiday use 'cos, as a Brit, you get visa on arrival. Longer term use might prove an issue though, if the thing ever gets built!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Do you know if your apartment block is out the ground yet? If not then you are looking at at least 4 years so yes you will be in for the long haul. Good luck as for the visa there is loads of info on the site.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Promiss I am not Stevie G.
Holiday use only so maybe residency visa not too much of an issue.
Apartment on Lake Shore Tower Development.
Building topped off. Cladding and some windows still to fit.
Access road is main issue now.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to BE
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:49 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Another Scouser hope you an evertonian mate
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tiger989
Another Scouser hope you an evertonian mate
Sorry mate, am red through and through. Off to Preston tomorrow.
Good luck at Macclesfield tomorrow