new in Jeddah

Old Dec 26th 2012, 10:13 am
Just Joined

sophiamtl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new in Jeddah

Hi,
I have been in Jeddah for a few months now and have found it difficult to adjust. I am alone in Saudi and was wondering how I can find upcoming events or gatherings. I am I interested in meeting new people in the area.

is there a website where i can find out about events in the city...Any suggestions??

Sophia
Old Dec 26th 2012, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new in Jeddah

One place wrth checking out is (or wa) The Italian Club in Baghdadiyah
Old Dec 26th 2012, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Community Library at the Britsih Consulate. As good - or better than - mpost public libraries in the UK of GB & NI
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:10 am
Just Joined

socks.pizza is an unknown quantity at this point

There's lots to do, surprisingly, there's Sand, for driving into and for camping, there's the Sea, for diving and sailing. What there isn't a lot of..is foot-stomping hard trance clubbing... I think there's square-dancing. What're your hobbies?
Old Dec 29th 2012, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by socks.pizza
is foot-stomping hard trance clubbing...
apart from the Vinyl Mode parties! https://soundcloud.com/#vinyl-mode
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

iukuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, there is a lot to do in Jeddah if you know the right people and at the right Compounds. There are tons of Brits here. FIrst thing is to approach the Consulate and ask them for names of associations such as the Britsh Busnessmen's Group etc. You can also rock up to any of the better beach clubs such as Silver Sands, Sheraton Red Sea Resort and get membership or admission. These are pretty much expats only and you will have friends in no time... Are you in a compound or Hospital housing? Let me know and I'll be glad to help out with introductions...
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pinched this from a Teachers' Forum

"As for beaches, you will have to go to the private beaches in North Obhur. Silver Sands is reputed to be the best or one of the best. Sheraton has one too, and another good one is Nakhil. Try out different ones on successive weekends and then stick with one.

Entry charge during weekdays ranges from SR. 50 to Sr. 80. On weekends, SR. 80 to SR. 100. Many/most also have yearly membership offers. And if you are rich, you can permanently (until you are in Saudi) rent a chalet/villa on any of the beaches."

Same source confirmed that the Italian Club is still running and so is the BCL (British Community Library) at the Consulate. The latter is an excellent source of imnformatiuon about what is on. The Library was great - I am sure that it still is.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

tonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nice

I will be arriving in Jeddah soon and will be working for Haka/Aramco. Although i will initially be in a hotel i need to find accommodation while over there. I am looking to share or rent an apartment (2 bed furnished) which will be not to far from Aramco. Preferably an apartment which has access to gyms/pools but I am aware that getting on a compound means going on a waiting list. If anyone knows of people willing to let me share with them please let me know...or can you tell me of websites i need to be on where information regarding this is available.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sharing with strangers is not common in KSA. There are serviced apartments around the Palestine Street area which would be handy fpor the ARAMCO Training Center (if it is still in the same place as it was 1990-1991).

A serviced aparment is basically like a hotel - there is a concierge and cleaning services are available. Self-cateriong.

Decent compounds are EXPENSIVE.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

tonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nicetonysprings is just really nice

I have sent you a PM.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And be aware that there is a huge difference between working for ARAMCO and working for an ARAMCO Contractor such as Haka. The latter are not considered to be fully human by ARAMCO and the A r a m c o n s. (Why did the filth-detector bleep out that last word ?).
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

democi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
And be aware that there is a huge difference between working for ARAMCO and working for an ARAMCO Contractor such as Haka. The latter are not considered to be fully human by ARAMCO and the A r a m c o n s. (Why did the filth-detector bleep out that last word ?).

I can confirm this. Currently working on an Aramco project.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonysprings
I will be arriving in Jeddah soon and will be working for Haka/Aramco. Although i will initially be in a hotel i need to find accommodation while over there. I am looking to share or rent an apartment (2 bed furnished) which will be not to far from Aramco. Preferably an apartment which has access to gyms/pools but I am aware that getting on a compound means going on a waiting list. If anyone knows of people willing to let me share with them please let me know...or can you tell me of websites i need to be on where information regarding this is available.
Let me know if you still need help with anything!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Community Library at the Britsih Consulate. As good - or better than - mpost public libraries in the UK of GB & NI
Are Canadians welcome?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by democi
Let me know if you still need help with anything!
sent you a pm.....