New To Dubai

Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:21 am
Just Joined

GMTMaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New To Dubai

Hello All,

I have recently moved to Dubai as have landed a new job as Head of Marketing for a Car Leasing firm.

I am originally from Leicester, UK.

Loving it here so far but know that there is tonnes to learn yet.

Would appreciate if you could advise of decent locations to obtain a 1 bedroom apartment. My office is near Gold & Diamond Park on Sheikh Zayed Road and I do not mind a 20 minute commute everyday.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of
Default Re: New To Dubai

Originally Posted by GMTMaster
Hello All,

I have recently moved to Dubai as have landed a new job as Head of Marketing for a Car Leasing firm.

I am originally from Leicester, UK.

Loving it here so far but know that there is tonnes to learn yet.

Would appreciate if you could advise of decent locations to obtain a 1 bedroom apartment. My office is near Gold & Diamond Park on Sheikh Zayed Road and I do not mind a 20 minute commute everyday.

Many thanks in advance.
Kind of depends what sort of budget you have in mind, and what sort of lifestyle you want

Marina is great and round about 20 mins down to the Gold and Diamond park. Lots of stuff to do right on the doorstep. A 1B/R was round about the 100k/year mark last time I looked, but prices are going silly everywhere so may be even more than that

If you are not so bothered about the bright lights, further out you will get more for your Dirham. Sports City and Motor City are now an easy commute now the flyovers on Umm Suqeim are open, although prices are going up there these days. Also look at Jumeirah Village Circle, still very much a work in progress but pretty well located for access to Al Quoz.

Oh and property agents here are in general a shower of shite who will tell you any amount of lies.

Read the excellent guide to your rights when renting a property in Dubai, written by Mikewot. (It's on a sticky here I think).
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Great. Thanks.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Great. Thanks.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809984

The Dubai renting FAQ's
Old Mar 20th 2014, 11:53 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Two new tricks by agents so watch out:
1) They try to get you to sign a non-renewable contract (not allowed by law but most decent, honest people with integrity comply with moving out after a year) OR they have you sign a paper saying you will move out after a year once you've signed a 'normal' lease. Once again not legal (12 months legal notice required) but most people don't fight back.

2) There is a clause saying tenant is responsible for all maintenance under 500 Dhm. Nope, LL is responsible for maintenance, those 500's can very easily and quickly add up to the thousands.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ever so much guys.

Will def be mindful of your points.

All this is very new to me so will take some time to get my head round how things operate.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

All this is very new to me so will take some time to get my head round how things operate.
The rental market is very different to UK, much more protection for renters IF you know the law. But a lot more unscrupulous agents and LL trying to rip you off. Agents in particular will add amendments to contracts in their favour. as an example adding in that you must renew through them for the next year, for 1000 (and upwards). The basic contract as issued by RERA (example in the FAQ) runs to one sideof a single sheet of A4. Often agents add another 2 A4 pages of amendments, some of which are already enshrined in the law of Dubai <rolls eyes>

Right now the rental market is at fever pitch due to the hype about the Expo 2020 in 6 years time FFS! Some areas are gradually reaching prices which are putting people off, yet LL seem content to leave them empty until they get the price they want. No one is willing to explain simple arithmetic to them, house with tenants = money coming in, empty house = no income.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

I've got a really important question and wondered if you could help. My company has advised that I can accommodation on my name once I have my visa in my passport.

I am concerned though because hypothetically, in the eventuality that my employment contract is terminated say in 7 months, as it's a 1 year tenancy contract I will have to pay the full 12 months rental but my question is, will I also have to vacate my apartment as I will no longer technically be on the company's visa and therefore my tenancy will be void and i will still have to pay the full 12 months rent payments and also not be able to stay in the apartment?

Is this the case?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:01 am
Account Closed

There is no written law on this but it usual to forfeit two months rent if you are breaking your lease.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
There is no written law on this but it usual to forfeit two months rent if you are breaking your lease.
I'd strongly suggest having a sufficiently-detailed break clause in any tenancy agreement. My experience is that AD landlords are not familar with the concept and/or will refuse, but Dubai landlords will accept.