New in Abu Dhabi

Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Dazler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Idtbrian
Hi everyone,

I've been following most of the threads here for a few months now and thanks for all of the advice you have given out - I've poached what I think I have needed. I particularly enjoyed the sarcasm but maybe that's because I'm British.

I have my contract which I'm pretty happy with, all except the car allowance. AED 24000 a month, a 1 BR apartment at Etihad Towers, medical Ins, flights and relocation/furniture allowance. The car allowance is only AED6000 a year paid monthly which as far as I can tell wont buy me more than a scooter or a good set of tyres. Maybe its just meant for taxi use!

Anyways, my questions are as follows:

How easy is it to get finance on a vehicle if you are new to the Emirate? Or alternatively should I approach the bank and buy a second hand vehicle from Dubizzle? I'm not extravagant but something a little larger than my current heap would be a bonus. Ive seen a lovely looking VW Toureg on Dubizzle which would be lovely.

Also, I'm a keen cyclist. Whats to law relating to riding on the pavements (where they exist) as clearly I would be risking life and limb on the road itself? Would the Rozzers take a dim view of it even though I am only seeking to keep myself safe.

Many thanks in advance for any more specific advice.

Hi,

The contract mentioned sounds an awful lot like NAC?!
If so, I have the same offer due to start on 10th June. It would be brilliant to get chatting to you about the big move and see what you think about the set up etc.
My email add is [email protected]
Hope you're well

Darren
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Dazler is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you got the job at NAC idtbrian. I did too, get in touch, it would be nice to share the experience with someone to settle those nerves!
Darren
Old May 1st 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Just to clarify - Etihad Towers is in the city at the end of the Corniche. The place near Khalifa A that another poster mentioned is Etihad Plaza.

For cycling they have a cycle path all along the Corniche... although bizarrely the cyclists always seem to be on the pavement when I've been jogging down there - and the joggers end in the cycle lane... I'm not quite sure who stole who's lane first but I persist on "my bit" and just dodge the bikes on the pavement!

You can also cycle on the F1 track at Yas one night per week - I think it's a Tuesday night.
Old May 4th 2012, 10:16 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
.a pedestrian and a cyclist - though it can be bad - is always a damn sight less worse than one between a car and a cyclist.
not always the case: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...thlete-in-coma[/QUOTE]

She wasn't a pedestrian and he was a professional triathlete who was winning the race...hardly a normal run of the mill circumstance.

Laughing at the corniche comments, I also have noticed when running down the corniche, cyclists go on the running path and vice versa...ffs its not hard.

To the OP...wear a helmet always.

If you want the genuine lowdown on the AD cycling scene, drop me a PM and ill oblige. There is tonnes more going on in addition to what has been mentioned here so far.
Old May 4th 2012, 10:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander

She wasn't a pedestrian and he was a professional triathlete who was winning the race...hardly a normal run of the mill circumstance.

Laughing at the corniche comments, I also have noticed when running down the corniche, cyclists go on the running path and vice versa...ffs its not hard.

If you want the genuine lowdown on the AD cycling scene, drop me a PM and ill oblige. There is tonnes more going on in addition to what has been mentioned here so far.[/QUOTE]

Edit, I assumed the link was for the accident a few months ago during the triathlon. The Mark Pringle incident has never been resolved. I knew Mark and I know very well the people who were with him that day. Very very sad.
Old May 4th 2012, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the genuine lowdown on the AD cycling scene, drop me a PM and ill oblige. There is tonnes more going on in addition to what has been mentioned here so far.
Edit, I assumed the link was for the accident a few months ago during the triathlon. The Mark Pringle incident has never been resolved. I knew Mark and I know very well the people who were with him that day. Very very sad.[/QUOTE]

my point is that accidents with bikes and people can happen, with horrible consequences......
Old May 4th 2012, 3:32 pm
banned

Edit, I assumed the link was for the accident a few months ago during the triathlon. The Mark Pringle incident has never been resolved. I knew Mark and I know very well the people who were with him that day. Very very sad.
my point is that accidents with bikes and people can happen, with horrible consequences......[/QUOTE]

yea but your link was for the Mark Pringle incident...it certainly wasnt a person who knocked him off his bike..

And of course they can happen and what would you think the concequences would be when a 90-100Kg cyclist travelling at 30-40Kph collides with someone.

Last edited by commander; May 4th 2012 at 3:34 pm.
Old May 5th 2012, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

my point is that accidents with bikes and people can happen, with horrible consequences......
yea but your link was for the Mark Pringle incident...it certainly wasnt a person who knocked him off his bike..

And of course they can happen and what would you think the concequences would be when a 90-100Kg cyclist travelling at 30-40Kph collides with someone.[/QUOTE]

was it i was putting in the link for the recent one with the teacher from bsak etc etc not mark pringle as that was a little while ago.

yeh i get that, but who was at fault? the ped or the cyclist?
Old May 5th 2012, 10:00 am
banned

And of course they can happen and what would you think the concequences would be when a 90-100Kg cyclist travelling at 30-40Kph collides with someone.
was it i was putting in the link for the recent one with the teacher from bsak etc etc not mark pringle as that was a little while ago.

yeh i get that, but who was at fault? the ped or the cyclist?[/QUOTE]

Carly wasn't a pedestrian, as you well know given you always go on about knowing him or her from BSAK. 'Fault' is a stupid outcome to seek. I have my opinion about where things could have been done better to mitigate the risk of such a terrible accident..and that doesn't lie at either of the 2 injured parties door.

As you know everything about everything, what's your take on it. Do you actually know what happened? By that I don't mean what you heard in your BSAK mums gossip coffee mornings, I mean do you really understand and appreciate what happened?

Not having a go, I'm just curious.
Old May 5th 2012, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeh i get that, but who was at fault? the ped or the cyclist?
Carly wasn't a pedestrian, as you well know given you always go on about knowing him or her from BSAK. 'Fault' is a stupid outcome to seek. I have my opinion about where things could have been done better to mitigate the risk of such a terrible accident..and that doesn't lie at either of the 2 injured parties door.

As you know everything about everything, what's your take on it. Do you actually know what happened? By that I don't mean what you heard in your BSAK mums gossip coffee mornings, I mean do you really understand and appreciate what happened?

Not having a go, I'm just curious.[/QUOTE]

yes i do know some of the people that were there, and came to her aid, in fact because one of them being a nurse actually saved her from being more badly injured. she is recovering slowly but of course this was an accident i am not pointing fingers and it was much of an issue over hats that has made the situation worse etc. but she is making progress and recovering slowly, albeit that she is now having to go back to the uk. what i am saying is that when you have cyclists and "people" they do not go together and things can go wrong. obviously in a race the factors are much higher than riding along the pavement. and to put the matter straight she is a "she".
Old May 5th 2012, 1:24 pm
banned

Not having a go, I'm just curious.
yes i do know some of the people that were there, and came to her aid, in fact because one of them being a nurse actually saved her from being more badly injured. she is recovering slowly but of course this was an accident i am not pointing fingers and it was much of an issue over hats that has made the situation worse etc. but she is making progress and recovering slowly, albeit that she is now having to go back to the uk. what i am saying is that when you have cyclists and "people" they do not go together and things can go wrong. obviously in a race the factors are much higher than riding along the pavement. and to put the matter straight she is a "she".[/QUOTE]

I know exactly who she is. I know loads of teachers at BSAK and I also know very well the pro who she unfortunately walked in front of. Oh and after a short time in jail, a month of house arrest, and other bullshit setbacks, the Pro is now back home having surgery and will possibly not compete again this season..all very sad for all concerned.

If that race goes ahead next year, one change would massively reduce the risk of such an accident being repeated. Those who raced know what it is, the organisers know what it is. And it aint got **** all to do with helpers wearing a frikkin hat.
Old May 5th 2012, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes i do know some of the people that were there, and came to her aid, in fact because one of them being a nurse actually saved her from being more badly injured. she is recovering slowly but of course this was an accident i am not pointing fingers and it was much of an issue over hats that has made the situation worse etc. but she is making progress and recovering slowly, albeit that she is now having to go back to the uk. what i am saying is that when you have cyclists and "people" they do not go together and things can go wrong. obviously in a race the factors are much higher than riding along the pavement. and to put the matter straight she is a "she".
I know exactly who she is. I know loads of teachers at BSAK and I also know very well the pro who she unfortunately walked in front of. Oh and after a short time in jail, a month of house arrest, and other bullshit setbacks, the Pro is now back home having surgery and will possibly not compete again this season..all very sad for all concerned.

If that race goes ahead next year, one change would massively reduce the risk of such an accident being repeated. Those who raced know what it is, the organisers know what it is. And it aint got **** all to do with helpers wearing a frikkin hat.[/QUOTE]

as usual you get the wrong end of the stick, i am not talking about the helpers hat but the cyclist's hat! and the damage it did. again i am not pointing fingers, but obviously the organisers have to try to ensure that this sort of thing doesnt happen again. an unfortunate incident for all concerned, but he was not on life support etc. and yes unfortunately things do happen, but i have known far far worse things to happen many years ago ...
Old May 5th 2012, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and i am not getting into an argument with you about this, obviously you will side with the cyclist so let that be the end of it.
Old May 5th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you two, just like the old days!
Old May 5th 2012, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by al dente
Oh you two, just like the old days!
nah. i am not arguing about it, was making a point which he didnt get, that cyclists and pedestrians do not mix! thats all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.