New in Abu Dhabi

Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Idtbrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New in Abu Dhabi

Hi everyone,

I've been following most of the threads here for a few months now and thanks for all of the advice you have given out - I've poached what I think I have needed. I particularly enjoyed the sarcasm but maybe that's because I'm British.

I have my contract which I'm pretty happy with, all except the car allowance. AED 24000 a month, a 1 BR apartment at Etihad Towers, medical Ins, flights and relocation/furniture allowance. The car allowance is only AED6000 a year paid monthly which as far as I can tell wont buy me more than a scooter or a good set of tyres. Maybe its just meant for taxi use!

Anyways, my questions are as follows:

How easy is it to get finance on a vehicle if you are new to the Emirate? Or alternatively should I approach the bank and buy a second hand vehicle from Dubizzle? I'm not extravagant but something a little larger than my current heap would be a bonus. Ive seen a lovely looking VW Toureg on Dubizzle which would be lovely.

Also, I'm a keen cyclist. Whats to law relating to riding on the pavements (where they exist) as clearly I would be risking life and limb on the road itself? Would the Rozzers take a dim view of it even though I am only seeking to keep myself safe.

Many thanks in advance for any more specific advice.

Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:05 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Idtbrian
Hi everyone,

I've been following most of the threads here for a few months now and thanks for all of the advice you have given out - I've poached what I think I have needed. I particularly enjoyed the sarcasm but maybe that's because I'm British.

I have my contract which I'm pretty happy with, all except the car allowance. AED 24000 a month, a 1 BR apartment at Etihad Towers, medical Ins, flights and relocation/furniture allowance. The car allowance is only AED6000 a year paid monthly which as far as I can tell wont buy me more than a scooter or a good set of tyres. Maybe its just meant for taxi use!

How easy is it to get finance on a vehicle if you are new to the Emirate? Or alternatively should I approach the bank and buy a second hand vehicle from Dubizzle? I'm not extravagant but something a little larger than my current heap would be a bonus. Ive seen a lovely looking VW Toureg on Dubizzle which would be lovely.

Also, I'm a keen cyclist. Whats to law relating to riding on the pavements (where they exist) as clearly I would be risking life and limb on the road itself? Would the Rozzers take a dim view of it even though I am only seeking to keep myself safe.

Don't know that much about the loan options. Meow might be the best person to help you with that. All I know is that if you plan on buying through vehicle finance, you need a 20 per cent deposit.

As for the car allowance, that is pretty poor. I've just hired a brand new Peugeot 207 for 2000AED and that seems to be a pretty good deal. So maybe it would be better to try and buy second hand.

As for cycling, I ride on the pavements all the time, and never wear a helmet. I've been passed by maybe 15 cops in the past three months and not once have they stopped me for riding on the pavement.

I'd love to wear a helmet, but the mentality out here is that they'll get that little bit closer to you if you are wearing one, because it's safer to do so than if you're not wearing one.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Idtbrian
Hi everyone,

If you buy a second hand car from a stealer then they will arrange finance for you. You will be able to do that once you have had a salary transfer or two to your account.

It is possible to get a car-loan arranged when you have found a car on dubizzle ... it's a pain though and you will find that many sellers won't be interested in you if you are doing that - the private market is very cash driven.

There is the corniche in AD and the YAS race track - both places you can ride your bike.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
There is the corniche in AD and the YAS race track - both places you can ride your bike.
and there's a cycle track at Yas (outside the race track) which I had a cycle on first thing this morning. I'd get a helmet though.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:25 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Does no one worry about the safety of pedestrians if bicycles are on footpaths?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Doubtful.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
yep and if i see one if i was walking along i would certainly tell them where to go.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
yep and if i see one if i was walking along i would certainly tell them where to go.
Look out Commander
Old Apr 14th 2012, 7:00 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Doubtful.
Actually, I do. I always slow down to the speed of a pedestrian and call to let them know I'm there. If for any reason there is no safe way for me to pass them, I'll stop and let them pass.

It's a walkway. Pedestrians have right of way.

Besides, an accident between a pedestrian and a cyclist - though it can be bad - is always a damn sight less worse than one between a car and a cyclist.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Look out Commander
but if you are on the cycle path or the road thats fine, if you are not then
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

.a pedestrian and a cyclist - though it can be bad - is always a damn sight less worse than one between a car and a cyclist.[/QUOTE]

not always the case: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...thlete-in-coma
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It's very simple. Adults on bicycles should not be on pavements.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

brucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nice

Originally Posted by saudiflares
and there's a cycle track at Yas (outside the race track) which I had a cycle on first thing this morning. I'd get a helmet though.
How do you guys manage to cycle between May and October when the temperature hits +40 c?

Doesn't it get boring cycling around a track?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:26 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Surely nothing can be more boring than being on an effing treadmill ... definition of the road to nowhere. Would still rather get out in the evening for a walk, despite the heat, have a cooling shower and an even more cooling G&T with freshly squeezed lime and lots and lots of ice.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point

IDTBrian:: I have been here 4 years in Abu Dhabi. Your accommodation I think is in Khalifa A near the airport so about 40km from the city centre and thus a car will be a must esp if you have family. Once you have worked for 3 mths and have evidence of salary payments going into the bank you can apply for car finance but 100% financing is not allowed- has to be 80% or less so you need a 20% down payment. Car deals are good esp near Ramadan some showrooms give discounts etc. Or buying from Dubizzle is an option but you need to know about cars and ensure it has 1 years insurance and passed the road worthiness test. Regarding cycling I had a British colleague who was an avid cyclist, he had a foldable one and kept it in the boot of the car. Perhaps a little on the roads here unless you stick to the corniche! good luck anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.