Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Negotiating diamond ring price?

Negotiating diamond ring price?

Old May 12th 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

mikeyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Negotiating diamond ring price?

Hello - new to Dubai, and to diamond ring buying....

I'm looking to buy a diamond eternity ring, from the G&D park. I understand such rings are priced in 3 parts - the amount of gold, the amount (and quality) of the diamonds, plus the workmanship. The workmanship is the only negotiable. So, where can I look up the gold and diamond pricing so I know the size of the chunk I'm negotiating around? There must be tables somewhere......

Thanks!
Old May 12th 2009, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negotiating diamond ring price?

Originally Posted by mikeyz

I'm looking to buy a diamond eternity ring, from the G&D park. I understand such rings are priced in 3 parts - the amount of gold, the amount (and quality) of the diamonds, plus the workmanship. The workmanship is the only negotiable. So, where can I look up the gold and diamond pricing so I know the size of the chunk I'm negotiating around? There must be tables somewhere......

Thanks!

Gold prices are in Gulf News daily. I normally advise whatever price is on the ticket, half it and work from there.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:15 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Gold is negotiable but so are the prices of gems. For diamonds it all depends on the carat, cut, clarity and colour. Each influences the price but you can still negotiate and do it HARD! Most etenrinty rings are made of diamonds smaller than solitaires, these are cheaper. The larger the carat, the more expensive per carat the diamond is. This also works in reverse.

PS, my sympathies go to you. Be prepared for a long day! Just bought Mrs RK one from Cara in the G&D park, took most of the afternoon!
Old May 12th 2009, 4:38 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they supplied free cans of coke for the 'interested' read bored shitless husband RK?
Old May 12th 2009, 5:06 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Thanks!
diamonds work kind of like this;

- color ranges from D - I - the 'lower' the letter (further down the alphabet) the poorer the color
- cut ranges from ideal to poor (better cut = more price)
- inclusions are little bits of 'stuff' (specks) in the diamond range from IF (none) to SI3 (heaps of specks) more specks, lower price

as RK says, an eternity ring is usually made of lots of smaller diamonds (called '2 pointers' and are about 0.2 carats each) and are usually priced around the USD$100 per rock mark. a size 6 ring usually has about 10 - 13 diamonds and you suppose to get an odd number (for luck)

oh, and take an ipod and/or alcohol to make the day go better!
Old May 12th 2009, 5:12 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Me at the G&D.

I love my wife, I love my wife....
Attached Images  
Old May 12th 2009, 5:14 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by commander
I hope they supplied free cans of coke for the 'interested' read bored shitless husband RK?
Lines of coke wouldn't have made the day go less painfully!
Old May 12th 2009, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Prince_Charming is an unknown quantity at this point

This link shows a diamond chart that is useful:

http://www.nationalbridal.com/images/DiamondChart.jpg

Start by halving the ticket price at least and be prepared to walk away - this can sometimes make the price drop even further lol
Old May 13th 2009, 3:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
diamonds work kind of like this;

- color ranges from D - I - the 'lower' the letter (further down the alphabet) the poorer the color
- cut ranges from ideal to poor (better cut = more price)
- inclusions are little bits of 'stuff' (specks) in the diamond range from IF (none) to SI3 (heaps of specks) more specks, lower price

as RK says, an eternity ring is usually made of lots of smaller diamonds (called '2 pointers' and are about 0.2 carats each) and are usually priced around the USD$100 per rock mark. a size 6 ring usually has about 10 - 13 diamonds and you suppose to get an odd number (for luck)

oh, and take an ipod and/or alcohol to make the day go better!
I bought an eternity type ring a couple of years ago, 1.5 cts of baguettes, it was 4800 dhs.
Old May 13th 2009, 6:18 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I bought an eternity type ring a couple of years ago, 1.5 cts of baguettes, it was 4800 dhs.
was that how long it took or what type it was?
Old May 13th 2009, 11:11 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by still.unsure
was that how long it took or what type it was?
well it's not an eternity ring as such more a wedding band with baguettes but I get your point
Old May 13th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

Well I still say Cara's and I would negotiate 10,000 off the price - seriously !! I am convinced after 3.5 years here, that all the jewellery shops put in 10K to negotiate with. This includes Damas jewellery
Old May 13th 2009, 11:44 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl
Well I still say Cara's and I would negotiate 10,000 off the price - seriously !! I am convinced after 3.5 years here, that all the jewellery shops put in 10K to negotiate with. This includes Damas jewellery
what happens if the ring is less than 10k though?
Old May 13th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

Offer half price! I swear the ring I got for our anniversary was marked at 15,600 - got it for 5,500 ! ! ! ! !! They all do this because they take a chance that Europeans won't haggle.... which is, in fact, true a lot of the times. Scottish friends of ours were staying at the One and Only Royal Mirage last year and she bought a 26,000 Dhs yellow pearl with a yellow diamond. I saw the same thing in AD, went in and started chatting to the salesmen - they went down to 15K - thieving lot
Old May 13th 2009, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what happens if the ring is less than 10k though?
you're looking at the wrong ring!

someone once told me that the groom is supposed to fork out 3x months salary on the ring...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.