Reload this Page >

negociation advice

negociation advice

Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough
Default negociation advice

folks,

im in the throws of getting an offer for uae. the question is how hard do you play to get a better deal if the one thats offered is not up to scratch. if you try to high could they reject you or negociate halfway as i wouldnt like to shoot myself in the foot and loose the oppertunity.

thanks for any info.

alan
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:15 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negociation advice

Originally Posted by madscots
folks,

im in the throws of getting an offer for uae. the question is how hard do you play to get a better deal if the one thats offered is not up to scratch. if you try to high could they reject you or negociate halfway.

thanks for any info.

alan
If its not up to scratch, dont take it. Simple......

Seriously, do you know what you NEED as a package? If so, and the first one doesnt tick all the boxes, you need to see how far away it is. If you are miles apart, chances are they will never bridge the gap. If its close, then there is always room to maneuvre. If the first offer ticks all the boxes, reject it anyway, as there is always that extra they can throw in.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madscots
folks,

im in the throws of getting an offer for uae. the question is how hard do you play to get a better deal if the one thats offered is not up to scratch. if you try to high could they reject you or negociate halfway as i wouldnt like to shoot myself in the foot and loose the oppertunity.

thanks for any info.

alan
Think about a package that would make you HAPPY to go to the UAE. Depending on what you want, you could ask for a package a few percent higher than what you expect. Don't settle below the amount that would make you happy, or you might regret moving at the end.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:42 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Value what you get and then value what you are sacrificing by leaving your current job.

Factor in the risks - and there was a good table produced by one of the posters yesterday comparing the various countires - and factor in the opportunities. That is the rational way of deciding.

The emotional way is bollocks but doing it that way may not be a disaster.

Good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
If its not up to scratch, dont take it. Simple......

Seriously, do you know what you NEED as a package? If so, and the first one doesnt tick all the boxes, you need to see how far away it is.
Interesting point - when i had my first interview in the UK for a job in Dubai, I had a list of my requirements which to my surprise my employer met pretty much instantly. However, after accepting the offer and relocating, after 2 months i realised i had sold myself considerabaly short and taking into the rental prices, I was actually getting shafted with my package as per market rates...!!

moral of the story - do as much research as you can - and even then expect the unexpected afterwards !!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:52 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxes
Interesting point - when i had my first interview in the UK for a job in Dubai, I had a list of my requirements which to my surprise my employer met pretty much instantly. However, after accepting the offer and relocating, after 2 months i realised i had sold myself considerabaly short and taking into the rental prices, I was actually getting shafted with my package as per market rates...!!

moral of the story - do as much research as you can - and even then expect the unexpected afterwards !!!
Thats what I mean by an overall package. Salary is not the be all and end all, especially when you have to factor in the whole Cost Of Living over here. When you know what the going rate is for your role, and you factor in rent etc, you should have a number....