Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mrs DB heading for AD!

Mrs DB heading for AD!

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice
Default Mrs DB heading for AD!

Our escape from Kuwait is 50% complete, with Mrs DB starting with a bank in AD next week. They're putting her up in a hotel until we can find a villa so got a few questions for the locals :

1. Recommendation of USB dongle thingy provider for wireless internet (or has Etisalat got the monopoly?), and where can she get it?
2. UK VPN provider for TV download? (PM please)
3. If we both get jobs, do they allow each of us housing allowance? (I know some countries don't).
4. A good Thai restaurant that delivers!

It's been 10 years since I've been to AD so looking forward to seeing the changes. If anyone knows of an opening for an oil/gas HSE Manager then I'll buy them a beer or 5.

Thanks
DB
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mrs DB heading for AD!

Originally Posted by DustyBits
Our escape from Kuwait is 50% complete, with Mrs DB starting with a bank in AD next week. They're putting her up in a hotel until we can find a villa so got a few questions for the locals :

1. Recommendation of USB dongle thingy provider for wireless internet (or has Etisalat got the monopoly?), and where can she get it?
3. If we both get jobs, do they allow each of us housing allowance? (I know some countries don't).
4. A good Thai restaurant that delivers!

It's been 10 years since I've been to AD so looking forward to seeing the changes. If anyone knows of an opening for an oil/gas HSE Manager then I'll buy them a beer or 5.

Thanks
DB
hiya, plenty threads on the VPN issue however I don't use one I just download from the various sites that are available on the tinternet You are going to get a huge shock when you see AD if you haven't been in ten years! I didn't go for three years and was amazed at the progress that has go on. Have fun

don't know about the housing allowance question but I can't see why you shouldn't both be entitled to it, depends on the job I suppose.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There.

You can get 2 types of housing..The first is obviously were the company will pay a fixed amount a year and pay directly to the landlord. But some companies are just giving ''extra'' with your salary per month to cover your rent.

ADNOC direct hire get a fixed amount, were as the contractors get someting like 10,000 a month, so if your wife already gets the allowance you pocket the 10,000.

We have been looking for a VPN but I want a one were you can pay Direct Debit rather than mess around with paypal, we have opened an account with them, then they freeze it straight away until we provide bank statements etc.

Hope you enjoy AD, you will notice big changes, especially on the Corniche, The volcano waterfall, clock tower etc are all gone, but it's changed for the better anyway.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:55 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DustyBits;7985519]Our escape from Kuwait is 50% complete, with Mrs DB starting with a bank in AD next week. They're putting her up in a hotel until we can find a villa so got a few questions for the locals :

Yes Etisilat has the monopoly.Hardware purchased from Etisilat Offices,Airport Rd(2nd between 7 and 9 Streets ).
:blink: Leave that to someone else to answer,I'd just confuse
Providing you both don't work for Govt then you both should get rent allowances-separate or bundled in your salaries.If however either contract was negotiated locally then chances are they will try and give you lesser benefits.4. A good Thai restaurant that delivers!

Royal Orchid at Hilton Corniche is excellent Thai but not sure if they deliver.
Just send a cab if they don't