Moving to Qatar

Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

wolfman1877 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Moving to Qatar

Hi Guys

I am contemplating a move to Doha but I currently live in the UK working in construction.

I have never been out to Doha other than transiting through the airport.

I have read the forums and I am picking up mixed messages. I worked in Amman and loved it.

I am intending to come out on a single status basis with regular trips back to the UK as well as the family coming out to Doha.

The questions/issues I would welcome feedback on are:

Is a salary package of 70k - 80k /mth plus benefits sufficient for decent standard of living?

Which areas should I be looking to live in - expat compounds or downtown apartment with lively expat communities? Bars, restaurants, social networking clubs etc etc

Does your passport have to be handed over for a residency permit?

Is there a social cultural barrier (exec level) if you have an anglo indian background?

I look forward to your views

P:S Will visit the place before I make any decision.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Qatar

Originally Posted by wolfman1877
Hi Guys

I am contemplating a move to Doha but I currently live in the UK working in construction.

I have never been out to Doha other than transiting through the airport.

I have read the forums and I am picking up mixed messages. I worked in Amman and loved it.

I am intending to come out on a single status basis with regular trips back to the UK as well as the family coming out to Doha.

The questions/issues I would welcome feedback on are:

Is a salary package of 70k - 80k /mth plus benefits sufficient for decent standard of living?

Which areas should I be looking to live in - expat compounds or downtown apartment with lively expat communities? Bars, restaurants, social networking clubs etc etc

Does your passport have to be handed over for a residency permit?

Is there a social cultural barrier (exec level) if you have an anglo indian background?

I look forward to your views

P:S Will visit the place before I make any decision.
Doha is fine in my opinion and i've worked in most of the GCC countries for over 15 years in construction some people hate it some find it ok , i'm with the latter. I prefer the easier way of life here than compared to Dubai , plus there's zero work there now.

It's very quiet and if you're on a single status contract it could be quite boring if not with your family full time.
I'm have a better standard of life here than i did for the last 5 years in Dubai and the salary is better and the project suits me more as well.

If that's you're monthly salary plus benefits then you'll be very well off here.
There's plenty restaurants a few half decent bars but you've really got to dig out what you do socially but there's still plenty if you look for it.

My advice is come and have a look , see if you like it and do some more research on the place.

You can live a decent life here and make a lot of money but don't be fooled it's going to be like Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Good luck
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

personally speaking i think Doha is a sh*thole....i have to go periodically due to work - they'd have to double my salary in order for me to move out there permanently lol.

I guess to each his/her own.

Last edited by mission; Jul 29th 2010 at 1:42 pm. Reason: rewording
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

as for the package you've stated...i'd definitely say you'll be living the life of riley out there
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Co Durham Boy.

Any views on the passport and exit process as I may be working for a large international Qatari Company.

Any views on places / locations to live?

P:S My sister lives in Fishburn nr Sedgfield so I know Co Durham pretty well.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Any views on the passport and exit process as I may be working for a large international Qatari Company.

P:S My sister lives in Fishburn nr Sedgfield so I know Co Durham pretty well.
The passport/ exit process is quite straightforward , it took my company a week to get all the formalities done , it's quicker than the U.A.E and less painful in my opinion.

A tip is to ask you're prospective company for a multi exit visa if you join , that gives a fair bit of flexibility on coming and going. I don't think you'll have any issues with your passport , once you have your R.P and I.D card they don't need it.

As accommodation goes there's loads of villas on compounds etc , and a standard selection of apartments , i have some contacts here that could help you out if needed in that regard, just PM me.

As i said earlier everyone rubbishes Doha to a certain extent and a percentage of that is warranted in some respect but i think it's ok , i'v worked in most places in the GCC over the past 15 Years so i've seen most come and go and to be honest in construction all the gobshites , chancers , and shelf stackers are stuck in Dubai trying to club together the price of half a lager.

It really boils down to what you want , personally i would never come anywhere in this part of the world if i wasn't earning good money, end of , there's far better playgrounds around the globe that's for sure.

i'm from Seaham Harbour originally so Doha's like San Francisco to me....
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:01 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very good package.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

i'm from Seaham Harbour originally so Doha's like San Francisco to me....[/QUOTE]

Is that from West Lea or Parkside!!!
Me from Ryhope in the olden days
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coffindodger
i'm from Seaham Harbour originally so Doha's like San Francisco to me....
Is that from West Lea or Parkside!!!
Me from Ryhope in the olden days [/QUOTE]

Started in Dawdon then got promotion to Costa Del Parkside.....!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Hi,
I also live & work in Qatar. If your prioities match the job & the returns then you'll do Ok in Qatar.

There's a wide range of places to live. On your salary there will be oppportunities in the new "Pearl" apartment blocks - which, because they are theoretically an "island" have a few different rules. Some blocks have swim-up licensed bars & pubs included in the development. Certainly worth a look if you are single. A fair commute depending on where you are working. Expect to pay abour QR12,000 to QR14,000 per month for a large 1 Bedrm in such a block.

Get a 1 month serviced apartment - if your company isn't supplying one - there's quite a few available & take a look around. Prices in Qatar are still going down & so good deals can be done.

Ensure that your work visa is processed quickly - you may need to chase this up, some companies take several weeks & you can't get you liquor license without it.

Don't arrive here at Ramadan - under any circumstances unless you are looking for a very quiet time.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Qatar

Thanks to you all for your replys it does really help.

I agree with Keoic about no point coming out in Ramadam.

I will be working in the West Bay Area down town and I dont want to be commuting more than half an hour initially. Any names of areas compunds etc welcome.

One bed apartment as 120000 seems expensive as I will need at least a two bedder. I will want to be on a good expat site /compund with a decent social scene as staying in each night will drive me to maddness.

Finally what is the best way to meet expats excluding through work....are there web sites or particular hang outs?

Durham Boy the tip on multi-exit visa is a real good one.

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to you all for your replys it does really help.

I agree with Keoic about no point coming out in Ramadam.

I will be working in the West Bay Area down town and I dont want to be commuting more than half an hour initially. Any names of areas compunds etc welcome.

One bed apartment as 120000 seems expensive as I will need at least a two bedder. I will want to be on a good expat site /compund with a decent social scene as staying in each night will drive me to maddness.

Finally what is the best way to meet expats excluding through work....are there web sites or particular hang outs?

Durham Boy the tip on multi-exit visa is a real good one.

Thanks
Try looking in the classifieds section of www.gulf-times.com , click on the link and this will give you a feel of prices and locations.

It will take you at least 30mins to get most places here as the roads can be horrendous at the best of times so prepare for frustration , sometimes living a bit further away can be an asset here as the centre of the city is jammed.

3 bedroom villas will start around 10,000 and go upwards , they are quite a few apartments on the bigger compounds from around 12,000 upwards in the Al Waab area.Lots of stuff coming up on the Pearl but it's well overpriced in my opinion.

Prices are still in decline so you'll get a decent deal.Really good apartments in the centre of town are like rocking horse shit and are expensive , look elsewhere you'll get a better deal and there's just not the choice and standard as there is in the U.A.E.

I use a few British contacts to find accommodation for me when we hire new ex-pats i can give you the details but you need to build up some posts until you can use the PM facility i think.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Keoic
Hi,
I also live & work in Qatar. If your prioities match the job & the returns then you'll do Ok in Qatar.

There's a wide range of places to live. On your salary there will be oppportunities in the new "Pearl" apartment blocks - which, because they are theoretically an "island" have a few different rules. Some blocks have swim-up licensed bars & pubs included in the development. Certainly worth a look if you are single. A fair commute depending on where you are working. Expect to pay abour QR12,000 to QR14,000 per month for a large 1 Bedrm in such a block.

Get a 1 month serviced apartment - if your company isn't supplying one - there's quite a few available & take a look around. Prices in Qatar are still going down & so good deals can be done.

Ensure that your work visa is processed quickly - you may need to chase this up, some companies take several weeks & you can't get you liquor license without it.

Don't arrive here at Ramadan - under any circumstances unless you are looking for a very quiet time.
Hi Keoic

I will be coming out after Ramadhan and could do with some info on areas to stay. I will working near Lusail and so West Bay would be good. looking for a 2 3 bed apartment / town house that is in an area which has a good expat social scene. What is Port Arabia like? and how long will it take to commute from West Bay to Lusail?

Any advice appreciated.