Moving to KSA - is it worth it?

Moving to KSA - is it worth it?

Old Jun 3rd 2021, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

expatmaybe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KSA - is it worth it?

Hi all,

<snip>

The package seemed good on first sight, SR 72k per month (salary, housing, transport), SR 60k education allowances, health insurance and annual return flights to the UK - this equates to around 3.5 times what I could earn back in the UK (after tax). However when I looked at the cost of renting in KSA I was surprised to see it would be around the SR 200k mark for a 3 bedroom villa in a decent compound. Also the school fees are high - slightly more than my education allowance. It makes me wonder if it would be better if my family (wife & son aged 7) moved back to the UK and i went to KSA alone. My outgoings there would be zero, as all food, accommodation, etc is provided on site.

My annual leave is 30 working days + the 2 x EID weeks would give me 40 days of leave - so would likely split this between a few trips to the UAE (family would meet me there for holidays) and I'd also return to the UK 4-5 times per year for the remainder of my annual leave.

The bonus scheme in KSA is between 25-50% (performance based) - so certainly potential to save lot of money over my time there. Initial plan/exit strategy would be 2-3 years there, before looking to move back and find work in the UAE or move back to the UK - the new job brings a more senior title which may help with the search. The money saved would pay off the mortgage back home and give a nice nest egg.

Keen to hear your thoughts - does this seem a good package for a manager level position and I am missing any viable options for my family to join me there as I would miss them terribly if apart for long periods of time.

Thanks

Last edited by Bob; Jun 17th 2021 at 9:03 pm. Reason: snipping personal info.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 8:59 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KSA - is it worth it?

It's a tricky one. Firstly I don't know what you will be doing but it's a high salary. If your family are with you in Saudi you can still reasonably expect to bank 25-30k SAR a month even after the compound, school, food, car etc are paid for.

But like you say, if you're there on your own you can bank the whole lot near enough. I have no outgoings here and live on around 2k a month for my in Saudi expenses as an example.

So your dilemma is deciding what comes first, family life or money. Go for the big money and sacrifice the family life for a period of time, or go for the lesser money, which is still a fair chunk of change. Depends on the kids ages as well. If they're primary I'd say do it with the family, secondary maybe not.

Another thing is the 40 days. It's not enough. if you go it alone I'd seriously consider having the family stay with you for the school holidays throughout the year, not every holiday but for longer periods than a weekend or week. My wife and kids have just spent 2 months with me and you forget what it's like being together all the time. They need to spend time with you too.

Whatever you decide, come out on your own first for 6 months, get the lie of the land. You don't want to go uprooting people, then find out the job isn't what is supposed to be, your boss is a c*** etc etc etc. Never underestimate the SAF .

I'd also go with Riyadh over Jeddah for the family
​​​​if you do go that route. Far better weather and there's no difference in the lifestyle these days. So many new plazas, restaurants, coffee shop areas opening up in Riyadh. There's actually some really nice places to go out. Not how it used to be.

Anyways, some things to think about, but not a bad dilemma to have....
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Hello and thanks for the feedback.

That sounds like a great arrangement you have with the family over for school holidays. Unfortunately with the job I would be based in a camp up north, so even if my family came over for school holidays I wouldn't see much of them as I could only get to Jeddah or Riyadh at the weekends so see them.

I've done some research on Jeddah and Riyadh and can see pros and cons with both. Riyadh has certainly gotten better from what I've read - but it seems critical to land in a good compound and that's just the chance you take.

If the job meant I was based in Jeddah or Riyadh then 100% we would move there as a family - but with me being away most of the time (i'd likely get home 3 out off every 4 weekends a month) I would worry it would be tough for them to settle.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Camp up North? - would Aqaba be an option to meet the fam on visits?
Old Jun 4th 2021, 7:29 am
Just Joined

That could be a potential - looks be about an hours drive so get back and forth in the evenings
Old Jun 4th 2021, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

We visited Aqaba in 2013 as part of a grander family tour of Jordan. Lovely spot - facing the sparkling Israeli resort of Eilat - how easy it'll be getting over the KSA/Jor border would need to be taken into consideration.

The Berenice Beach Club was only a few KM from the Saudi border but a different world.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...vernorate.html

Not as polished as Dubai but still a nice enough resort.

May have encountered some Syrian refugee pressure since we visited. Understand Jordan has taken lots in - great country in my opinion

Last edited by flares; Jun 4th 2021 at 10:35 am.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, that COVID has put all family meet ups to shit for the last year, and that it doesn't look like it will change any time soon.

I'm considering leaving the region for this sole reason.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on the offer.

I used travel back and forth (4 weeks in DXB and 1-2 weeks U.K.) pre-pandemic and did that for a year. Wife and children would travel over during the holidays and I can tell you it was a right faff. Yes we saved a bit of money but the flights were a regular pain and the kids suffered a lot more than I had anticipated.

Wife wasn’t too keen on moving to Dubai at the beginning so had to do this. But overall it was a good experience but we couldn’t do it for more than a year.

Try it out for a year. But I’d definitely send them back to the U.K. instead of Riyadh or Jeddah. I used to buy flex tickets from Emirates which were super convenient and able to adjust flights to suit my needs.

Old Jun 5th 2021, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Zk00023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Congrats on job offer.

Sorry in advance but my questions are totally different to your post I thought if you could give me some guidance on job search in middle east.

I am chartered structural engineer in london with +8 years exp. I am looking to move to middle east with family and need some advise on how to do it...

I will be obliged if you can advise me how to find a job in middle east.. are there any recruitment agencies you have used to find a job in ME? or any other alternative way to find job in ME?...

Many thanks for reading this.
Old Jun 5th 2021, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s a tough market right now. All of your tier 1 and 2 design and engineering firms have had a major restructure with many job losses.

The main market for expats right now is KSA. LinkedIn would be your best friend or try and see if your current company has a presence in the Middle East and seek a transfer. That tends to be a more traditional route.

good luck
Old Jun 16th 2021, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I would agree with the comment below, KSA certainly seems the best place for Expats with many projects ongoing.

Regarding recruitment agencies, I am not convinced there are many good ones out this way, Lots will ask for your CV but you rarely hear anything back.

Keep looking on LinkedIN - follow some of the major companies out here.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by expatmaybe
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I would agree with the comment below, KSA certainly seems the best place for Expats with many projects ongoing.

Regarding recruitment agencies, I am not convinced there are many good ones out this way, Lots will ask for your CV but you rarely hear anything back.

Keep looking on LinkedIN - follow some of the major companies out here.
Did you go for it?

PS Aqaba has an Abu Dhabi funded water park opening soon https://www.thenationalnews.com/life...oast-1.1241652

Old Jun 27th 2021, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Hello and thanks for the feedback.

That sounds like a great arrangement you have with the family over for school holidays. Unfortunately with the job I would be based in a camp up north, so even if my family came over for school holidays I wouldn't see much of them as I could only get to Jeddah or Riyadh at the weekends so see them.

I've done some research on Jeddah and Riyadh and can see pros and cons with both. Riyadh has certainly gotten better from what I've read - but it seems critical to land in a good compound and that's just the chance you take.

If the job meant I was based in Jeddah or Riyadh then 100% we would move there as a family - but with me being away most of the time (i'd likely get home 3 out off every 4 weekends a month) I would worry it would be tough for them to settle.

Sounds like Neom? Why can't you take your family with you? My understanding is there are already some families residing there with several more (I think in the hundreds?!) due to move out later this year.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 9:58 am
Just Joined

In the end no - luckily enough an option came up internally which means we can all stay in Dubai.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

In the end no - luckily enough an option came up internally which means we can all stay in Dubai.
As in, NEOM wasn't worth it?