Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Schools & Commuting in Dubai

Schools & Commuting in Dubai

Old Jun 18th 2021, 11:25 am
Just Joined

koolnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools & Commuting in Dubai

Hello everyone, Hope this message finds everyone safe and sound. We are moving to Dubai from London and recently got a place offered for my son in FS1 in Kings Nad Al Sheba. This process has really made us understand that it's very hard to find a place in a good school in DXB. We will be living in Al Safa 2 area (just off Al Wasl Road). Now, the big question is - is it commutable from Al Safa 2 to Kings Nad Al Sheba. I've checked google maps and it says 25 minutes. However, I also know the DXB traffic can get pretty crazy as well. I was wondering, can anyone share their experience regarding journey time from the stated areas. If there's a parent who is doing a similar commute, then your opinion would be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to your advise.

Thanks

Muhammad
Old Jun 18th 2021, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools & Commuting in Dubai

Originally Posted by koolnature
Hello everyone, Hope this message finds everyone safe and sound. We are moving to Dubai from London and recently got a place offered for my son in FS1 in Kings Nad Al Sheba. This process has really made us understand that it's very hard to find a place in a good school in DXB. We will be living in Al Safa 2 area (just off Al Wasl Road). Now, the big question is - is it commutable from Al Safa 2 to Kings Nad Al Sheba. I've checked google maps and it says 25 minutes. However, I also know the DXB traffic can get pretty crazy as well. I was wondering, can anyone share their experience regarding journey time from the stated areas. If there's a parent who is doing a similar commute, then your opinion would be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to your advise.

Thanks

Muhammad
anything is commutable if you have enough time

i don’t do that exact journey but I’m familiar with both ends of it. At school run time I would add 50% on to the google estimate.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 10:10 am
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

It is doable but fairly painful as you will be heading up the Al Ain road which is currently being upgraded - but is not a pleasant road to drive on! There are other schools closer to Al Safa 2 but I am guessing availability could be an issue. Have you considered putting them into a nursery for FS1 and then into school for FS2? That way it gives you a year to look around and a nursery is a bit more flexible than a school? If you are set on schools have you tried Safa School - it is very close to AS2 and recently moved to this location so brand new premises and the other is English College Primary. Living close to school is life changing!!
Old Jun 20th 2021, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the above. We sent out lil man to nursery first and then took our time to find an FS2 place.

not going to lie, it’s been a pain to get a spot in our desired schools but we finally got the school we wanted.

Another reasons why chose nursery was timing. We kept our son in from 8-3, whereas most school FS1 finished around 12-1. So the extra few hours gave mum some extra time.

And when it comes to school, a lot of it is just branding. It really is all about the teachers over here. Being British means F All.

Old Jun 25th 2021, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you guys... We have been offered a place in Horizon English School as well? HES is closer to where we will be living. It does say outstanding. However, your opinion will surely help please. I will look at the Safa School too. Thank you
Old Jun 27th 2021, 10:31 am
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I have personal experience as an ex-HES parent - yes it is an outstanding school. Lovely community school - Mr Wallace a fantastic head. Easy commute too and being close to the school really makes a huge difference on a daily basis. Believe there is also a school bus if you are both working.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope we will feel the same. I am getting positive vibes about it and hoping for the best..

Thank you all