Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai...

Moving to Dubai...

Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai...

Originally Posted by JB22
Hello Millhouse, what is included in the DEWA and how often is it paid? On top of that what other hidden costs are there in living in UAE especially with regards to owning a car.
Jon
Looking at Arabian Ranches but you say AD is nicer, why and any suggestions where to look to live. I'll be working at Strata in Al Ain and therfore doing a daily gaunlet run up the motorway
Only hidden costs on a car are the stupidly short service intervals (5000km on a Toyota) and high cost of parts.

Insurance is ok. 4% of the car's declared value. (7% in my case due to the accidents)

Salik (road tolls on the SZR - 4Dh / gate).
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

libby2010 will become famous soon enoughlibby2010 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Moving to Dubai...

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
yes, this is all electricky and water so it includes AC. It's a monthly bill

I've not had a bill yet, so in the words of brucey, higher or lower - nothing for a pair in this game.
so with 10000 ( 2000 GBP ) to spend a month i can only allow less than
8ooo for rent for a 2 bed. apartment. does that mean i will have to live in a dump or are all the nice areas out of my reach now?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:42 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

The DEWA is power, water and council tax. The tax is 5% of your annual rent. The rest is consumption based. I've not had a bill yet but I am expecting 2000Dh for utilities and 600Dh for tax.

I'm not starting the debate on why AD is nicer than Dubai. You tend to prefer the place you first step foot into I guess...

Arabian Ranches is nice enough though. Get the misses a car though, you are in the middle of no-where.

Bikerboy - happy?
Getting there.

Think you may be over-estimating on DEWA. I've a large 4 bed and our DEWA is never more than 1'200 AED per month and that only in the really hot months. We do have a bore hole for water but only for the garden. We pay DEWA direct, I know some places have to pay through the local supplier which adds to the cost. Don't know 'bout Rabid Rancid, though.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Getting there.

Think you may be over-estimating on DEWA. I've a large 4 bed and our DEWA is never more than 1'200 AED per month and that only in the really hot months. We do have a bore hole for water but only for the garden. We pay DEWA direct, I know some places have to pay through the local supplier which adds to the cost. Don't know 'bout Rabid Rancid, though.
ah yes, but we have people in the house all day with lights booming, AC oblasting and we seem to water the 'grass' three times a day (that will stop once I figure out how to progam the irrigation machine)

I hope it's lower - but as a bean counter I plan for the worst!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by libby2010
so with 10000 ( 2000 GBP ) to spend a month i can only allow less than
8ooo for rent for a 2 bed. apartment. does that mean i will have to live in a dump or are all the nice areas out of my reach now?
still in reach libbs, don't you worry. Your DEWA bill will be much much lower in a flat, maybe 600 / mth tops.

In AD my ADWEA bill was 230 a month (large 3 bed flat) and that included 3 water heaters running 24x7! AC is normally free in AD though.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

libby2010 will become famous soon enoughlibby2010 will become famous soon enough

still in reach libbs, don't you worry. Your DEWA bill will be much much lower in a flat, maybe 600 / mth tops.

In AD my ADWEA bill was 230 a month (large 3 bed flat) and that included 3 water heaters running 24x7! AC is normally free in AD though.
SWEET OF YOU ALL TO REASSURE ME - can you go one step further and tell me about nice areas to live in and ones to avoid, p l e a s e !!!!!!!!!!!
I had a quote from a relocation firm to show me around for a day and they charge 1950.- that's the 1 out of 5 that even bothered to reply. so that means I will have to conquer dubai by myself ! in a taxi with an arab driver !!!
so any guidance will be appreciated.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:06 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

so any guidance will be appreciated.
The Dubai Explorer guide that Meow recommended used to have a nice description of areas to live - they're getting ready now for the new edition (published December).

Nice areas to live will depend to a great extent on exactly what you want from your housing.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by typical
The Dubai Explorer guide that Meow recommended used to have a nice description of areas to live - they're getting ready now for the new edition (published December).

Nice areas to live will depend to a great extent on exactly what you want from your housing.
now that seems an obvious question, but i must admit it's not quite so easy to answer and I obviously havent given it proper thought yet. so thank you for that!
to start with i will probably not be spending more than 4 months of the year in it. when my husband is there he needs to be able to have a good internet connection and maybe even some sort of IT back up or a maintanance guy. when i am there with friends ideally i would like an outside pool and a gym on site and good transport links to a beach club. when i am on my own I would quite like to be in the hub of things - certainly not stuck in the suburbs. have i forgotten anything?
I guess now you are telling me this is going to cost me double of what i have to spend?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

now that seems an obvious question, but i must admit it's not quite so easy to answer and I obviously havent given it proper thought yet. so thank you for that!
to start with i will probably not be spending more than 4 months of the year in it. when my husband is there he needs to be able to have a good internet connection and maybe even some sort of IT back up or a maintanance guy. when i am there with friends ideally i would like an outside pool and a gym on site and good transport links to a beach club. when i am on my own I would quite like to be in the hub of things - certainly not stuck in the suburbs. have i forgotten anything?
I guess now you are telling me this is going to cost me double of what i have to spend?
TRUE
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JB22
TRUE
ok, reality check !
2 bed apartment with communal pool and internet and sat tv in well maintained building with caretaker in middle of town?
getting warmer? or where do i have to cut down more?
one bed apartment?
near beach? a compound?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:40 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by "good transport links to a beach club"?

If you want walking distance, I imagine you're going to be limited to the Marina.

If you are happy to drive a short distance, Downtown Burj Khalifa would seem to be a good choice.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you sound like hard work ... remember this is Dubai! Head for the Marina, you will like it there. There is no town centre.

No such thing as a good internet connection here. You have the choice between two providers. One is slow, unreliable and expensive, the other is unreliable, expensive and slow.

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 21st 2010 at 5:35 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

in a taxi with an arab driver !!!
He won't be arabic.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

ok, reality check !
2 bed apartment with communal pool and internet and sat tv in well maintained building with caretaker in middle of town?
getting warmer? or where do i have to cut down more?
one bed apartment?
near beach? a compound?
Libby, May I suggest that you come over and live in a service appt for a couple of months to get the feel for Dubai.
There is no "centre" as such. The Marina is busy, vibrant, with lots of restaurants and bars nearby and along the JBR walk. There are hotels close that have daily beach access, for a fee..yusually 200/250dhs a day or you can join a beach club if you think you will get your moneyworth.
I am assuming you don't have children so school location won't be an issue.
Living in an apartment is easier. There is a security guy and usually a maintainance person..how good or bad they are will depend :-)
The Arabian Ranches is out of dubai more but within easy reach of the Dubai Mall/Festival city etc. Mostly expats live there and the springs/Meadows/Lakes area. Al Barsha is more local and stand alone villas and close to the Mall of the Emirates.
If you rent a villa your costs will be higher. As I said, better to come and stay in a serviced place for a while.
Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Hey everyone,

As I have been in Al Ain for 2 years now and established biz here, we are wanting to get on the coast and have looked at Al Hamra Village. Anyone live there that can advise the good/bad of it ? I know that there isn't much outside of the area and am ok with that. We have a 4bed villa/townhouse that is brand new located on the lagoon for 75k that we have looked at and put a deposit on.

Libby, I have met with someone there in regards to setting up 2 businesses there and I could introduce you to her as well. I have a business in Al Ain ( Real Estate) and although required a sponsor, was relatively simple to do and from what I have learned, its very easy in RAK, requires no sponsorship and from there, you acquire your Residency Visa. Prior to looking at Al Hamra Village, Dh and I did look in Dubai at the marina, JBR and the palms (shoreline). I will PM you my contact details and will be more than happy to meet and show you around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.