Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai...

Moving to Dubai...

Old May 30th 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Dubai...

Ok, my turn to start a 'housing' thread.

I'm currently thinking of accepting a job offer in Dubai, based at the DIFC (apparently there are jobs there)

As someone who landed in Abu Dhabi my only interaction with Dubai over the last few years has been limited to Wild Waddi, Atlantis and IKEA so I am in need of some advice.

I reckon I have a budget of 180k to spend on housing and would be looking for a villa (I have lived in an apartment in AD for two years and it's time to give the sprog some space). Requirements would be:

1) Close(ish) to the DIFC
2) 3 + maid bed villa (4 is obviously fine)
3) Pool would be preferable (Shared or private)
4) Parking for two cars
5) Near a reasonable nursery.

So, where is good? I'm currently thinking Umm Sequm or Jumeriah but honest help is needed.

Last edited by Millhouse; May 30th 2010 at 7:20 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Dubai...

Question 1. When would you be moving? Because the longer you wait the lower the rents will be.

To answer your other inquiry:

Basically all the nice areas of Dubai are going to be within easy commute of the DIFC, especially as you would be going in the opposite direction of the heavy morning traffic coming from Sharjah direction. Meadows to DIFC is under a half hour. Obviously Jumeira and Umm Suqeim will be even shorter, 20 minutes max.

You can get a 3 bed + maid's compound villa in Jum/Umm Suqeim for about 170-180,000. Will be older (by Dubai standards) but you are in a terrifically convenient location and ever so close to the beaches.

Meadows is further out and a four bed in the Meadows can be had for 180-200K and probably even less by the end of the summer. A three bed + maid's in the Springs run between 120-140K.

Jumeira 3 and Umm Suqeim 1 are probably the nicest parts of these two areas. Jumeirah 2 is decent, but Jumeira 1 is looking a bit shabby these days especially the closer you get to the Jumeira mosque.

The Ranches is quite attractive once you are there but it's a long drive.

Another cheaper area to consider is Al Barsha which has lots of independent Arab style villas and compound villas. Close to the Mall of Emirates. Rents range from 120 to 200K depending on the villa in question and size. But Al Barsha lacks the landscaping charm of the Emirates living communities (Springs, Lakes and Meadows) and Jumeira/ Umm Suqiem.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

I'm currently thinking of accepting a job offer in Dubai, based at the DIFC (apparently there are jobs there)

As someone who landed in Abu Dhabi my only interaction with Dubai over the last few years has been limited to Wild Waddi, Atlantis and IKEA so I am in need of some advice.

I reckon I have a budget of 180k to spend on housing and would be looking for a villa (I have lived in an apartment in AD for two years and it's time to give the sprog some space). Requirements would be:

1) Close(ish) to the DIFC
2) 3 + maid bed villa (4 is obviously fine)
3) Pool would be preferable (Shared or private)
4) Parking for two cars
5) Near a reasonable nursery.

So, where is good? I'm currently thinking Umm Sequm or Jumeriah but honest help is needed.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Ah. Just checked dubizzle. 3 beds plus maid's are being advertised in the Springs for as low as 110K. 3 beds+ maids compound villas in Umm Suqeim as low as 140.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Some nice compounds in the Al Safa area for around 180 for a 4 bed with shared pool facilities (some with private pools). Quick commute to DIFC.
Old May 30th 2010, 9:33 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=EmiratesMillhouse;8599929]Ok, my turn to start a 'housing' thread.

Oh! Up 'til now you are on record as having some lucid moments.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Eva;8600142]

Oh! Up 'til now you are on record as having some lucid moments.
Thank you everyone. I'd be planning on moving in early Sept. I take it that rents are still falling then??

One more question is AC costs. In AD I pay almost nothing for utilities (200Dh/month for power & water). I'm budgeting 2000Dh/month for a 3/4 bed villa - is this reasonable or too high/low. We would have someone at home almost all of the time.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=EmiratesMillhouse;8600588][QUOTE=Eva;8600142]

One more question is AC costs. In AD I pay almost nothing for utilities (200Dh/month for power & water). I'm budgeting 2000Dh/month for a 3/4 bed villa - is this reasonable or too high/low.

I only live in a small apartment in The Greens so this is not really a problem (Fixed 4k a year) However I have heard some horror stories of quite extraordinary figures that have been charged for villas in some of the new developments.

Think you are wise to keep an eye on this along with service charges which are also very high in many areas. Good luck.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jim Smith

I only live in a small apartment in The Greens so this is not really a problem (Fixed 4k a year) However I have heard some horror stories of quite extraordinary figures that have been charged for villas in some of the new developments.

Think you are wise to keep an eye on this along with service charges which are also very high in many areas. Good luck.
Service charges? what's this? How much are these? (not mentioned on the wiki thingy here)
Old May 31st 2010, 6:30 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=EmiratesMillhouse;8600588]
Originally Posted by Eva

Thank you everyone. I'd be planning on moving in early Sept. I take it that rents are still falling then??

One more question is AC costs. In AD I pay almost nothing for utilities (200Dh/month for power & water). I'm budgeting 2000Dh/month for a 3/4 bed villa - is this reasonable or too high/low. We would have someone at home almost all of the time.
Our old villa cost us around 1'000 AED per month DEWA for a 4 bed with shared pool. The one we are in now is even less as it has a bore hole for the water supply. For 180'000 you should be able to find a nice 3/4 bed in Jumeirah/Umm Suquim, just be aware that actually on Jumeirah Road means loads of traffic noise.
Old May 31st 2010, 6:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Ah. Just checked dubizzle. 3 beds plus maid's are being advertised in the Springs for as low as 110K. 3 beds+ maids compound villas in Umm Suqeim as low as 140.
EmiratesMillhouse

Those Springs villas are small. You'll get more space in Jumeirah/Umm Sequim/Al Barsha, as well as something more interesting than an identikit Barratt home.

I have a 4 bed in Umm Sequim 1 and our winter DEWA was low and even with the temps increasing it hasn't been too much, even though we both work from home. We're having a borehole put in next week for the garden, so even in peak months our DEWA should only be Dhs 1,000 pm max. We have an individual place, but there are plenty of so-called compounds (basically a group of a dozen or so houses) that share a pool.

Good luck.
-
Old May 31st 2010, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
EmiratesMillhouse

Those Springs villas are small. You'll get more space in Jumeirah/Umm Sequim/Al Barsha, as well as something more interesting than an identikit Barratt home.

I have a 4 bed in Umm Sequim 1 and our winter DEWA was low and even with the temps increasing it hasn't been too much, even though we both work from home. We're having a borehole put in next week for the garden, so even in peak months our DEWA should only be Dhs 1,000 pm max. We have an individual place, but there are plenty of so-called compounds (basically a group of a dozen or so houses) that share a pool.

Good luck.
-

Wicked. How much does a bore hole cost? I assume that is just for watering the plants?

I must admit my preference is Umm Sequim as it would be easy to get to the DIFC from there.
Old May 31st 2010, 7:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Wicked. How much does a bore hole cost? I assume that is just for watering the plants?

I must admit my preference is Umm Sequim as it would be easy to get to the DIFC from there.
We have been quoted Dhs 1,500 incl motor. Yes, just for outside use as not 'sweet' water.

Umm Sequim 1 or 2 is nice and many streets have lots of trees and mature planting. Plenty of nurseries around and pretty easy to get anywhere.

Will PM you details of a good agent.
-
Old May 31st 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Service charges are much higher in apartments. My 2 bed in the Greens was 28,500 a year, fox example, but I sold out Aug 2008. I do not know what they charges are in villas, a lot less I believe but apparently they do exist in newer compounds. Basically covers cleaning man maintenance of common areas!!
Old May 31st 2010, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Service charges are not allowed to be passed on to tenants. During boom days the rents easily covered the service charges, but these days the mortgage and service charges together probably are killing a lot of investors. Which is why so many landlords are desperately holding on to artificially high prices.

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Service charges are much higher in apartments. My 2 bed in the Greens was 28,500 a year, fox example, but I sold out Aug 2008. I do not know what they charges are in villas, a lot less I believe but apparently they do exist in newer compounds. Basically covers cleaning man maintenance of common areas!!
Old May 31st 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Service charges are not allowed to be passed on to tenants. During boom days the rents easily covered the service charges, but these days the mortgage and service charges together probably are killing a lot of investors. Which is why so many landlords are desperately holding on to artificially high prices.

Oh! Didn't know that! Sounds like another good reason I sold.

Yes I guess the guy I sold to is in difficulty now. He took a 2.3M mortgage and was going to let it for 215K. However now see flats in same bldg going for 1.3M and renting for 110-120K. Hope he has a tenant.

Last edited by Jim Smith; May 31st 2010 at 2:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.