Moving to Doha

Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving to Doha

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Around the same price
Thanks - that'll save me having to load my salary demands too much over what I get here then...apart from having to double it to cover alcohol
Old Nov 27th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stealth Otter
Thanks - that'll save me having to load my salary demands too much over what I get here then...apart from having to double it to cover alcohol
Yeah your right there mate , 50 riyal for a pint in The Sheraton.....

Fu**ing robbery !
Old Nov 27th 2011, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Around the same price
That's me got my licence approved today, just need to get everything else sorted out and I'm on my way. Should be out January, can't wait.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

bizkitgto is an unknown quantity at this point

Mate , Saudi is fu**ing horrible , a horrible country with horrid stone age values and heinous laws.

People get by because they make do and adapt and basically play with the hand they are dealt with. The only way you survive is being in a Western compound.

Just because there's a large percentage of expats doesn't automatically make the place paradise.
Some of the most rudest , obnoxious , self centered people i've ever met have been British Gulf based Expatriates.
Man, that's a shame....but more or less what I hear alot. There's a lot of great projects I'd like to be a part of over there, but the lifestyle seems rocky....
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

bizkitgto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james1966
That's me got my licence approved today, just need to get everything else sorted out and I'm on my way. Should be out January, can't wait.
Good luck - let us know how it goes!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yipeeeee that's me arrived yesterday. Baggage was lost in Dubai, but got it on next flight, so I am now reunited with my clothes.

It's a bit bigger than I thought, and driving is going to be fun!!

What are the best places/clubs for meeting other expats?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:30 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

Welcome to Doha.

Anywhere with a bar - mainly hotels, rugby clubs etc. The choices are limited and the beer is expensive. You will find your feet pretty quickly in this place as there is not much too it.

Good luck
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james1966
Yipeeeee that's me arrived yesterday. Baggage was lost in Dubai, but got it on next flight, so I am now reunited with my clothes.

It's a bit bigger than I thought, and driving is going to be fun!!

What are the best places/clubs for meeting other expats?
Get yourself on http://www.timeoutdoha.com/ and http://www.qatarhappening.com/ that will give you an overview of what's going on which is not a lot .

I would personally join Doha Rugby Club http://www.doharfc.com/ and also if you like a game of golf go to http://www.dohagolfclub.com/

If you want to try a few pints tonight i'd go to http://www.ramadaplazadoha.com/ you'll find something in there that will suffice for a Thursday evening. It's crap but will give you a feel for how crap it really is.

If you want to shop go to http://www.villaggioqatar.com/ , shops don't open until after 2pm on a Friday though.

Good luck
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Welcome to Doha---I did the Doha thing in 06-07, it is livable....Keep a positive attitude. Just stick to Doha, driving out to other locations within Qatar will make you feel depresed...It really is a desolate place, even Qataris abandoned several of their own settlements to come and live in Doha...When you see the ghost villages you will feel depressed. Even the desert in Qatar is nothing more than a plain of gravel...There are some nice dunes in the south east of the country. Still I had some great nights at the Sheraton....