Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 8th 2022, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi

Assuming some of these are correct;

Apartment - 7500
British school - 4500
Utility bills including internet - 1800 - about right, we're in a 2-bed and this covers internet, tv, DEWA - but check to see if AC / Chiller is included in apartments, otherwise add another 5-700 probably.
Mobile sim contracts * 2 - 400 - yeah, seems fair
Car insurance - 150 - seems light, depends what you buy and only one car means it'll need to be half decent, so would increase this probably.
Fuel - 350 - depends where you go, but this is two tanks, just, of a 4x4 ish.
Food - 10000 - seems a lot, but we do 5-700 for two adults a week with Spinneys, so double us and you're at 1400 say, so could drop this to 6k

Total though, on my calculations is about 21k costs.

That leaves 6,500 for beers, dinners out, kids activities (expensive), clubs, cinema trips, general fun.

That doesn't leave anything much at all towards savings, either for holidays, rainy days or anything.

When the next nipper goes towards nursery and schooling, you'd be in trouble.

I appreciate the desire to get here and to work up from within the UAE but is it worth holding off for a better opportunity that suits your experience level?

Old Mar 8th 2022, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

SafPatel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Assuming some of these are correct;

Apartment - 7500
British school - 4500
Utility bills including internet - 1800 - about right, we're in a 2-bed and this covers internet, tv, DEWA - but check to see if AC / Chiller is included in apartments, otherwise add another 5-700 probably.
Mobile sim contracts * 2 - 400 - yeah, seems fair
Car insurance - 150 - seems light, depends what you buy and only one car means it'll need to be half decent, so would increase this probably.
Fuel - 350 - depends where you go, but this is two tanks, just, of a 4x4 ish.
Food - 10000 - seems a lot, but we do 5-700 for two adults a week with Spinneys, so double us and you're at 1400 say, so could drop this to 6k

Total though, on my calculations is about 21k costs.

That leaves 6,500 for beers, dinners out, kids activities (expensive), clubs, cinema trips, general fun.

That doesn't leave anything much at all towards savings, either for holidays, rainy days or anything.

When the next nipper goes towards nursery and schooling, you'd be in trouble.

I appreciate the desire to get here and to work up from within the UAE but is it worth holding off for a better opportunity that suits your experience level?
Thank you so much for your feedback, really appreciate it. Our savings would come from rental income in the UK, which would be about £1200 after taxes and other cost.

On that basis do you think its worth getting out to UAE and then trying to work my way up. Would appreciate your input.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SafPatel
Hi, thank you for your feedback. They have included 1 ticket each for the 4 of us to the UK, we plan to buy our clothes from the UK when we visit once a year. Obviously if we needed any neccasitities we would purchase these.

We have a house in the UK which we would put on rent so no commitments there.

The role is in Banking as Compliance Associate, I have 15 years experience in banking and over 10 years in AML/Compliance. The role is not as senior as I am in the UK, and i would say it's a step down from my current role.

The package they are offering is, 27k AED a month, a flight tickets for all of us, 20k AED start up allowance, medical insurance for all four of us. No contribution towards schooling or housing. One of my kids would be in year 3, the other one is still 14 months.

Currently in the UK I am on a comfortable salary where I can make a minimum saving of £1000 each month. I'm unsure if this is a chance to get my foot in the UAE market.

Appreciate any feedback.
that is a crap offer mate. 27k is a target salary for a mid-manager. You are selling yourself seriously short here.

The money is crap, you’re taking a step down in your career - why the f are you taking this role? The setup costs and the family uphevil will be tough as well. Rent is usually paid up front or quarterly, plus agent fees and other connection fees.

I would seriously do the maths before you make a decision to come here. If your strategy is to find a newer higher paying job a few years down the line then that is a risky strategy. Plenty of expats come with that strategy and end up going back home poorer but tanned.

Old Mar 9th 2022, 5:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thank you so much for your feedback, really appreciate it. Our savings would come from rental income in the UK, which would be about £1200 after taxes and other cost.

On that basis do you think its worth getting out to UAE and then trying to work my way up. Would appreciate your input.
I wouldn't personally. I'd spend time networking and looking for something more suitable to the level I was at and with a package that provides enough to have both kids in school, save money, cover risks and provide some uplift for being away.

As is said by Sandy, the tactic is risky, albeit I do agree it's easier to find something when you're here, but nothings guaranteed.
Old Mar 9th 2022, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Would you say 27k a month is ok if you dont mind me asking what is your averahe monthly spend?
I'm not sure that would be helpful - average monthly spends are a function of income and savings rates. Our household income is quite a bit higher than 27k/month so the average monthly spend is higher too. Personally, I don't think a family of 4+ should consider moving here for less than 40k per month unless they have some other reason for coming.
Old Mar 9th 2022, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by csdf
I'm not sure that would be helpful - average monthly spends are a function of income and savings rates. Our household income is quite a bit higher than 27k/month so the average monthly spend is higher too. Personally, I don't think a family of 4+ should consider moving here for less than 40k per month unless they have some other reason for coming.
Good point. 45k is the number I normally lean on;

10k housing
5k on two cars
8k on food
10k on schooling
8k on fun / beer / activities
4k savings - not a lot at the end of it.
Old Mar 9th 2022, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

10k housing
5k on two cars
8k on food
10k on schooling
Thno you for the feedback, I've gone back out to the company to see if they include cost towards housing and schooling.

Really appreciate the breakdown and honesty.
Old Mar 9th 2022, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

10k housing
5k on two cars
8k on food
10k on schooling
I was going to say 50k but didn't want to sound like too much of an entitled arse!
Old Mar 10th 2022, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by csdf
I was going to say 50k but didn't want to sound like too much of an entitled arse!
75 is the number if you don't want to be a pleb.

Joking aside, if you're on 20-something or mid-30s with a wife who doesn't work and two kids, you're definitely one of the people posting incessantly on Brits in Dubai or similar facebook tragedy holes, begging people to 'support small business' as your wife makes dry, tasteless cupcakes to sell at a market in JLT.
Old Mar 10th 2022, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone help with a few recruitment agencies that I could sign up with. My experience is within the Financial Crime/AML/KYC world.
Old Mar 10th 2022, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

75 is the number if you don't want to be a pleb.

Joking aside, if you're on 20-something or mid-30s with a wife who doesn't work and two kids, you're definitely one of the people posting incessantly on Brits in Dubai or similar facebook tragedy holes, begging people to 'support small business' as your wife makes dry, tasteless cupcakes to sell at a market in JLT.

bit harsh mate.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 8:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand
bit harsh mate.
There are a lot of posters in those groups who could do with a harsh reality check to be fair though.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Got the offer letter today
Basic pay 13,500 **
General allowance (including housing) 13,500
Relocation allowance 27,000
PMI for all of us
Flights for only me and the missus.

** I assume they did it like this to avoid paying less bonus as it will based on a percentage of the base pay.

Am I correct when I say this is not a good package for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 1)?

Is it worth going back with a counter offer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old Mar 21st 2022, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

That’s a crap offer mate. You will struggle to live on that here and will definitely not save anything. I’m assuming you gave them your current U.K. salary, which they’ve basically converted into AED. Person with your experience should be targeting 40-50k.

I would seriously reconsider. If you want to make it work, consider going out there yourself for 3-6 months. Rent an Airbnb and Save up a buffer then bring your family.

Old Mar 21st 2022, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Traveler20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand
That’s a crap offer mate. You will struggle to live on that here and will definitely not save anything. I’m assuming you gave them your current U.K. salary, which they’ve basically converted into AED. Person with your experience should be targeting 40-50k.

I would seriously reconsider. If you want to make it work, consider going out there yourself for 3-6 months. Rent an Airbnb and Save up a buffer then bring your family.
Totally agree. This is a crapy salary specially for someone looking to move from the west. I wouldn’t entertain anything less than AED 40k a month all-in with min 70% base salary.

I recommend checking out salary surveys available online as a benchmark - also directly connect with recruiters for more feedback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.