Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 5th 2022, 12:30 am
Just Joined

SafPatel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Abu Dhabi

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice. Is 27k AED a month enough for a family of 4 to live comfortably (eating out once or twice a week) in Abu Dhabi. One child will be in a British primary school. I've worked out some basic costs but not sure if this is correct.

Monthly approx cost in AED
Apartment - 7500
British school - 4500
Utility bills including internet - 1800
Mobile sim contracts * 2 - 400
Car insurance - 150
Fuel - 350
Food - 10000

Not sure if I have priced the costs to low or to high, any advice would be good.
Old Mar 5th 2022, 8:22 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by SafPatel
Hi, I would really appreciate some advice. Is 27k AED a month enough for a family of 4 to live comfortably (eating out once or twice a week) in Abu Dhabi. One child will be in a British primary school. I've worked out some basic costs but not sure if this is correct.

Apartment - 7500
British school - 4500
Car insurance - 150
Fuel - 350
Food - 10000

Not sure if I have priced the costs to low or to high, any advice would be good.
Do you eat a lot?
Old Mar 5th 2022, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Do you eat a lot?
No, not really. Average, breakfast, lunch and dinner of normal size and snacks (fruits, and crisps) for my kids. Kids are aged 7 and 1 and a half years. I was reading online that groceries can be between 8 to 10k AED, hence I have accounted for the top end. Is that too much?
Old Mar 6th 2022, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Apartment - 7500
British school - 4500
Car insurance - 150
Fuel - 350
Food - 10000

10k is a lot for food
but you’ve missed a couple of points
you’ve listed car insurance and fuel but no car ?
Out of school kids/family activities
vacations
set up costs
savings/emergency funds.

Old Mar 6th 2022, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

It can be done. But you won’t be saving much and don’t underestimate the cost of flights for a family 4, days out and kids clothing. I’m in a similar situation and we spend 30k on average a month.

also factor in savings and any commitments back home.

I’d suggest the better question to ask here is if you’re being paid the right amount for your role, experience and industry that you’re in. If you’re willing to share that information then you should be able to get your current package validated on here.

best of luck
Old Mar 6th 2022, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UKMS
10k is a lot for food
but you’ve missed a couple of points
you’ve listed car insurance and fuel but no car ?
Out of school kids/family activities
vacations
set up costs
savings/emergency funds.
HI, thank you for your feedback. I haven't factored in the cost for a car as I would sell my car in the UK and buy a car out right or on lease from the money I get. They are paying me 20k AED for set up costs, and they have also included 1 flight ticket for all four of us to the UK.

What would you say is a reasonable amount for food cost?

I have some savings which I can use for emergency if needed. I was thinking after a year or 18 months I would try to get another role in the UAE which paid much better.

Are after school activities expensive? Maybe you can give me an idea.

Thanks

Last edited by SafPatel; Mar 6th 2022 at 10:18 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2022, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand
It can be done. But you won’t be saving much and don’t underestimate the cost of flights for a family 4, days out and kids clothing. I’m in a similar situation and we spend 30k on average a month.

also factor in savings and any commitments back home.

I’d suggest the better question to ask here is if you’re being paid the right amount for your role, experience and industry that you’re in. If you’re willing to share that information then you should be able to get your current package validated on here.

best of luck
Hi, thank you for your feedback. They have included 1 ticket each for the 4 of us to the UK, we plan to buy our clothes from the UK when we visit once a year. Obviously if we needed any neccasitities we would purchase these.

We have a house in the UK which we would put on rent so no commitments there.

The role is in Banking as Compliance Associate, I have 15 years experience in banking and over 10 years in AML/Compliance. The role is not as senior as I am in the UK, and i would say it's a step down from my current role.

The package they are offering is, 27k AED a month, a flight tickets for all of us, 20k AED start up allowance, medical insurance for all four of us. No contribution towards schooling or housing. One of my kids would be in year 3, the other one is still 14 months.

Currently in the UK I am on a comfortable salary where I can make a minimum saving of £1000 each month. I'm unsure if this is a chance to get my foot in the UAE market.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 3:15 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Apartment - 7500
British school - 4500
Car insurance - 150
Fuel - 350
Food - 10000

I'd add at least the base cost equivalent to NI and possibly income tax as savings - one of the perks of being here is no income tax so you can in theory save more cash and invest it in things that suit you best rather than State insurance schemes.

Old Mar 7th 2022, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

Apartment - 7500
British school - 4500
Car insurance - 150
Fuel - 350
Food - 10000
Few observations.

1) You can get a post paid Virgin mobile sim for around AED 120/m with a fair amount of data + calls (can't remember the exact figures). Virgin runs on the Du network (MVNO). Otherwise Etisalat full price plans are expensive but worth asking Etisalat (and Du) if they give special discounts based on whom you work for. For example, ADNOC staff get around 50% off on Etisalat plans.

2) I've only just moved into my own digs in AUH so can't give you exact ADDC bill figures but unlike Blighty, electricity unit rates appear to be cheap in AUH - around 25 fils per KWh (around 5p) with no daily standing charges. But of course you may use massively more electricity than UK considering you will be using ACs almost 12 months of the year. So its really swings and roundabouts.

3) AED 10k/m on food sounds a lot, even for a 4 person family. But if that's what you're budgeting for then you might as well shop at any Waitrose store in AUH
Old Mar 7th 2022, 10:29 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

If this ‘role is not as senior as I am in the UK, and i would say it's a step down from my current role’ what are the reasons you’re even considering the move?
Old Mar 7th 2022, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
Few observations.

1) You can get a post paid Virgin mobile sim for around AED 120/m with a fair amount of data + calls (can't remember the exact figures). Virgin runs on the Du network (MVNO). Otherwise Etisalat full price plans are expensive but worth asking Etisalat (and Du) if they give special discounts based on whom you work for. For example, ADNOC staff get around 50% off on Etisalat plans.

2) I've only just moved into my own digs in AUH so can't give you exact ADDC bill figures but unlike Blighty, electricity unit rates appear to be cheap in AUH - around 25 fils per KWh (around 5p) with no daily standing charges. But of course you may use massively more electricity than UK considering you will be using ACs almost 12 months of the year. So its really swings and roundabouts.

3) AED 10k/m on food sounds a lot, even for a 4 person family. But if that's what you're budgeting for then you might as well shop at any Waitrose store in AUH
Hi, I only put 10k AED as I saw it on another thread. Would you say 6K AED on food is a fair amount? Just trying to work out if relocating will benefit me.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hnd
If this ‘role is not as senior as I am in the UK, and i would say it's a step down from my current role’ what are the reasons you’re even considering the move?
I've heard the lifestyle is much better, it's a safer place to bring up your kids. Education is really good.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Traveler20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a great salary imo. Unless you have other motives for taking the risk and making the move i would stay in the UK.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, we are a family of five and spent roughly 10k/month on groceries last year. But that is with liberal Spinneys and Waitrose. Cutting them out would probably have saved 20-30% off the bill.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by csdf
FWIW, we are a family of five and spent roughly 10k/month on groceries last year. But that is with liberal Spinneys and Waitrose. Cutting them out would probably have saved 20-30% off the bill.
Would you say 27k a month is ok if you dont mind me asking what is your averahe monthly spend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.