Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Mix, Grand Hyat...

The Mix, Grand Hyat...

Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Mix, Grand Hyat...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oiii, nowt wrong with a bit of peroxide BC, I'm disappointed in you

MM, xx
I have grown mine out ! new hair do, very very short and blonde! I asked for the kylie post chemo look, came out a skinheed!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I have grown mine out ! new hair do, very very short and blonde! I asked for the kylie post chemo look, came out a skinheed!
ohhh?? post a piccie then...

MM, xx
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
ohhh?? post a piccie then...

MM, xx
no chance !!!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:52 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
You going to the Stanton Warriors on Thursday? I've got my Puma tracksuit ready
Yup - The Stantons are splendid chaps - I used to co-run "Infantile - free acid house street parties" during the Notting Hill Carnival - they played and rocked the place... this was a few years back now though....
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:16 am
W10

I was in the Arts Club last week. Still love that place...

I am going back this year for carnival, awesome. ****ing awesome. More commercial than it used to be, but still holding on...

If it was in Dubai it would be the Playstation Dubai Carnival and it would be sponsored by Damac and tickets would cost between Dh500 and Dh1,000, you would need to queue for three hours to get a wristband before being allowed to enter, food stalls would be exclusively from Mallah, Beirut, Burger King and Round Table pizza, there would be sound-clashes between two trance super-DJs in two superclubs (tickets available at Dh500 and Dh1,000), Rock Bottom and Waxy's would set up ethnic drinks tents, charging Dh50 for a red stripe, playing UB40 and No Doubt and then refusing to allow ethnics in, Burjuman and Ahlan would host a carnival theme fashion tent, and the whole event would be held on a patch of sand in past Dubailand because the police couldn't possibly entertain such an event being held somewhere accessible.

Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:24 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10

I am going back this year for carnival, awesome. ****ing awesome. More commercial than it used to be, but still holding on...

If it was in Dubai it would be the Playstation Dubai Carnival and it would be sponsored by Damac and tickets would cost between Dh500 and Dh1,000, you would need to queue for three hours to get a wristband before being allowed to enter, food stalls would be exclusively from Mallah, Beirut, Burger King and Round Table pizza, there would be sound-clashes between two trance super-DJs in two superclubs (tickets available at Dh500 and Dh1,000), Rock Bottom and Waxy's would set up ethnic drinks tents, charging Dh50 for a red stripe, playing UB40 and No Doubt and then refusing to allow ethnics in, Burjuman and Ahlan would host a carnival theme fashion tent, and the whole event would be held on a patch of sand in past Dubailand because the police couldn't possibly entertain such an event being held somewhere accessible.
You certainly do know this place well!!!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:39 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

too true - very funny.... I do remember that Dulux Paint and Virgin have sponsored Notting Hill in the past I think...

Might be less shootings in Dubai though...

One of the more scary things I did was to take the takings for the party home at 1am through the streets of Notting Hill on the Monday night when it looked like Bagdahd on a bad day with 8,000 quid in my pockets... on my own...
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:44 am
W10

Monday's can get a bit hairy - but I always found if you stayed away from the gangsta twats who hang around near Westwood's stage.

As a long time Notting Hillbilly, I have to say its not too bad as long as you know which areas to stay away from.

But just let me know the next time you are carting 8 grand around...

Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:15 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Monday's can get a bit hairy - but I always found if you stayed away from the gangsta twats who hang around near Westwood's stage.

As a long time Notting Hillbilly, I have to say its not too bad as long as you know which areas to stay away from.

But just let me know the next time you are carting 8 grand around...
just to play devils advocate.
your happy enough to go to an event where you may get shot by some ganster wanabe or robbed but not happy to pay for a ticket to an event where there is no risk of getting shot and minimal of getting robbed(other than by the promoter)
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:30 am
W10

Because one event is good, the other is shite. One event has soul, the other event has less life than a bowl.

If Dubai ever put on a well organised concert with an act I actually wanted to see then I would pay.

I for example would pay to see Jeff Mills DJ, I would not for example pay to see 99% of all the acts which turn up in Dubai.

The other part of the equation is about being streetwise...I lived in London for 5 years and never felt in real fear or never got robbed.

It's like asking if you'd rather go to see a Van Gogh or a five year old's finger painting.

Last edited by W10; Apr 15th 2007 at 10:33 am.

Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:38 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Because one event is good, the other is shite. One event has soul, the other event has less life than a bowl.

If Dubai ever put on a well organised concert with an act I actually wanted to see then I would pay.

I for example would pay to see Jeff Mills DJ, I would not for example pay to see 99% of all the acts which turn up in Dubai.

The other part of the equation is about being streetwise...I lived in London for 5 years and never felt in real fear or never got robbed.

It's like asking if you'd rather go to see a Van Gogh or a five year old's finger painting.
Lived in West London for 17 years.
Got mugged twice (once at knife point), attacked on at least 5 occasions (4 broken fingers on one occasion, stabbed in the neck on another, and head cut open from an ice-skate blade on another)

Having been born and raised in London, i consider myself to be street wise, but sometimes events are unavoidable.

Needless to say i feel safer here.

Rgds
JD

Last edited by Jammy_Dodgers; Apr 15th 2007 at 10:42 am.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:41 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

I don't think streetwise has too much to do with - more bad luck. Wrong place at wrong time.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:51 am
W10

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Lived in West London for 17 years.
Got mugged twice (once at knife point), attacked on at least 5 occasions (4 broken fingers on one occasion, stabbed in the neck on another, and head cut open from an ice-skate blade on another)

Having been born and raised in London, i consider myself to be street wise, but sometimes events are unavoidable.

Needless to say i feel safer here.

Rgds
JD
You obviously didn't frequent the same pubs (and ice rinks) as me and you have a skinhead