Reload this Page >

Married Malaysian currently in UK planning for UAE

Married Malaysian currently in UK planning for UAE

Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

JasminePinko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married Malaysian currently in UK planning for UAE

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with my question.

I'm a Malaysian married to a British Citizen and currently working and living in the UK. I'm planning to go and work in UAE for a large project. My husband and I recently purchased a flat together.

So, the question is, if I work in the UAE for 3 years and more and then come back to the UK, will I get taxed?

As far as I understand, I am a resident in the UK, as for domicile, I'm not sure as my husband is British and by nationality I'm Malaysian. I also read that if I own a place in the UK I am deemed resident as well. So does that mean regardless of working over 3 years in the UAE, I'm still liable for tax when I return. Is this true?

Please help. I don't plan to go if my income will be taxed in the future when I
return.

Thanks

Jasmine
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all
Default Re: Married Malaysian currently in UK planning for UAE

Originally Posted by JasminePinko
...I also read that if I own a place in the UK I am deemed resident as well. So does that mean regardless of working over 3 years in the UAE, I'm still liable for tax when I return. Is this true?
No, not true, as long as you don't spend much time in the UK during that period, which presumably you won't if you're working. I'm sure others can be more specific. I think you're meant to tell the taxman that you're off as well, although I didn't when I left in 88.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

So you are leaving hubby behind?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JasminePinko
Hi,

I hope someone can help me with my question.

I'm a Malaysian married to a British Citizen and currently working and living in the UK. I'm planning to go and work in UAE for a large project. My husband and I recently purchased a flat together.

So, the question is, if I work in the UAE for 3 years and more and then come back to the UK, will I get taxed?

As far as I understand, I am a resident in the UK, as for domicile, I'm not sure as my husband is British and by nationality I'm Malaysian. I also read that if I own a place in the UK I am deemed resident as well. So does that mean regardless of working over 3 years in the UAE, I'm still liable for tax when I return. Is this true?

Please help. I don't plan to go if my income will be taxed in the future when I
return.

Thanks

Jasmine
Liability to UK taxation depends on your residency status. If you are deemed non-resident then your overseas income is not taxable, but you need to watch dates of arrival and departure, as well as days spent in the UK during a tax year.

New rules will come into effect in April 2013 which means that having 'connecting factors' such as immediate family residing in the UK and access to a property (that is not let) will reduce the days you can spend in the UK before your status is affected. Owning a property in the UK does not make you resident.