Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mall of the Emirates access by foot

Mall of the Emirates access by foot

Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:37 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all
Default Mall of the Emirates access by foot

Hi all.

We are coming to Dubai for the car show and for some Xmas shopping and plan to stay within walking distance of Mall of the Emirates but on the same side of the highway.

I see it's surrounded by 4 lane roads so is walking there feasable, as in proper pedestrian crossings, or are we likely to get splatted?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice
Default Re: Mall of the Emirates access by foot

Originally Posted by eylesda
Hi all.

We are coming to Dubai for the car show and for some Xmas shopping and plan to stay within walking distance of Mall of the Emirates but on the same side of the highway.

I see it's surrounded by 4 lane roads so is walking there feasable, as in proper pedestrian crossings, or are we likely to get splatted?
Stay on same side of Sheikh Zayed Road as Mall. There's a few hotels nearby. Holiday Inn Al Barsha budget hotel nearby opened in 2008. Nothing within walking distance on other side but metro station has pedestrian bridge if you want to walk 30 mins to Burj Al Arab.

For motor show (it's at Convention Center?) catch metro to Financial Center station or Jafiliya and walk a long way, or take taxi from metro exit.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:45 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Thanks Grapefruit. I am more concerned with actually getting across the
roads surrounding the mall. Do cars stop for pedestrians, are there proper pedestrian crossings?

Here in Saudi they don't give a sh*t if you are on a crossing, you are still fair game!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Thanks Grapefruit. I am more concerned with actually getting across the
roads surrounding the mall. Do cars stop for pedestrians, are there proper pedestrian crossings?

Here in Saudi they don't give a sh*t if you are on a crossing, you are still fair game!
Roads around the mall ok for crossing compared to Saudi. Except Sheikh Zayed Road. Traffic lights have pedestrian go and stop lights.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:01 am
Banned

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I can book a hotel now.

Our reason for wanting to stay near was that last year it was totally impossible to get a cab from the mall, we waited for over an hour and eventually blagged a ride with a fellow shopper.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I can book a hotel now.

Our reason for wanting to stay near was that last year it was totally impossible to get a cab from the mall, we waited for over an hour and eventually blagged a ride with a fellow shopper.
Here's a hint. If there are big queues at the taxi stand in MoE, go to the Kempinski Hotel (part of mall) & get one from there.

-
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:24 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yes, you can walk it from the Holiday Inn/Coral Boutique/Golden Tulip... just walk parallel to the road that runs parallel to SZR, cross at the pedestrian crossing at the traffic lights, then hop onto the pavement the other side - do mind out because at one point it disappears around a blind corner that's a delivery vehicle exit, cross that, follow whatever pretends to be a pavement round and you'll find yourself in the Kempinski drop-off area, near to Sezam (food court) at the Ski Dubai end of the mall.

Done it many a time wielding a pushchair too.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:04 am
Banned

Great information, my thanks to you all.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:30 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Here's a hint. If there are big queues at the taxi stand in MoE, go to the Kempinski Hotel (part of mall) & get one from there.

-
yeah, but the poor sods queue there for ages too. Occasionally the mall management start throwing themselves around and enforcing the "drop-off only" part, which frightens some of the taxi drivers into obeying. Still, with a no-messing attitude and/or a quick nod to pick you up round the corner, it should be fine.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
yeah, but the poor sods queue there for ages too. Occasionally the mall management start throwing themselves around and enforcing the "drop-off only" part, which frightens some of the taxi drivers into obeying. Still, with a no-messing attitude and/or a quick nod to pick you up round the corner, it should be fine.
Hehe, reminds me of City Centre, I take a taxi either at the hotel or just walked around the corner, there is no way in hell I'm waiting in line when the thing reaches all the way to the baskin & robins again!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:14 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit
Nothing within walking distance on other side but metro station has pedestrian bridge if you want to walk 30 mins to Burj Al Arab..
obviously minted in Saudi
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Hi all.

I live just behind it, there are quite a few hotels and furnished appartment buildings in the area and most are within walking distance of the mall. There are also a few pedestrian crossings and there is the metro station which is also by far the most busy of all the metro stations...If you can afford it, the best would be the Kempinski Hotel which is inside the mall.