Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's it like to live in Dubai Marina?

What's it like to live in Dubai Marina?

Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default What's it like to live in Dubai Marina?

What would we be able to afford for 90 to 100k a year in Dubai Marina area? What are the facilities like? Are there shops within walking distance? And what buildings/developments are good for living in?

Finally any advice on reputable agents to use to get a place?

Cheers to anyone for any advice!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's it like to live in Dubai Marina?

90 - 100k would get you a good quality one-bed apartment in one of the premium developments or possibly a 2 bed in one of the lower grade developments.

If you are on the SZR side then you have shops at Marina Walk and Marina Mall - if on the JBR side then the choice is more limited although you are closer to the restaurants and cafes on JBR Walk.

None of the agents are that great - remember they are not working for you, all they are interested in is shifting as much stock as possible for the commission and will generally say anything to do that.

Have a look on Dubizzle and Gulf News for property ads.

I have lived there for 2 years now and personally would not live anywhere else in Dubai - the access in and out is now good, the metro stations are close to opening and a tram system is being built. There are a lot of hotels around so plenty of bars to choose from and a lot of outside restaurants and coffee shops all over the place.

Probably the worst aspect is that traffic can get a bit bad around JBR at the weekends when everyone flocks in.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

It's great!
I'm in JBR - 1 beds from AED85-100K depending on how high up and what view you have. 2 bed AED 105-120K
Bars, cafes and restaurants at the Walk. Marina Mall walkable, Spinneys a short drive and IBN Battuta 10 mins drive.
There are cheaper 1 beds around the Marina but very small - well, the ones I saw were tiny.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:55 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier
What would we be able to afford for 90 to 100k a year in Dubai Marina area? What are the facilities like? Are there shops within walking distance? And what buildings/developments are good for living in?

Finally any advice on reputable agents to use to get a place?

Cheers to anyone for any advice!
I think it is a good place to live, especialy the central part of the marina next to JBR (e.g., Al Sahab or Marina Promenade buildings). You have easy access (300 m) to The Walk and its restaurants and the beach (400 m). You also have ready access to places that serve alocohol alon eor with meals, such as The Hilton Jumeirah Beach Resort (400 m), Carlton Ritz (1 km), the Dubai Marina Yacht Club (800 m), The Address at Dubai Marina Mall (700 m) and a new hotel being built (300 m) in teh marina.

Largest supermarket is at Geant (Ibn Battuta) (5 minutes by car or taxi), Waitrose's at Marina Mall (650 m), as well as smaller supermarkets, such as Al Maya (JBR - Bahar) (300 m), Al Maya, South Marina (800 m) and others. Spinneys at The Marina Walk is too far away and you need to go by car..plus there are few bars at Marina Phase I (the nearest is The Grosvenor (15 min walk). Lots of banks, hairdressers and a dentist.

Lots of buses; and a tramline is being built. Access to JLT Metro station (800 m).

Lots of British expats and holiday makers in the area.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:04 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, we used to live in JBR (nice but not that nice in comparison to other developments in the Marina) and have moved to the SZR side of the Marina by the Yacht Club.

Different buildings have different facilities and different pros and cons - it depends what you want. Most have gyms (apart from JBR), pools, saunas... some have kids' playrooms and lounges/conference areas.

More and more mini supermarkets are opening up all over the place, so it's easy to pop out if you need anything last-minute.

I'm coming at it from the stay-at-home mum angle and to be honest, everything I need day-to-day is within 10 mins' walking distance (not to be attempted in the height of summer!): shops, chemist, playground, pool, M&B groups, mall, gym, cafes and doctor/dentist... and beauty salons! As mentioned, when the metro stations open, the rest of Dubai will be really easy access too.

Didn't like it in JBR so much, but love my new place.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah it's great location wise. Access is a doddle although some nights it can take an extra few minutes because of the traffic. It's not a major concern though.

One words of advice though if you are looking. As mentioned above a new tram system is being put in so if you are road side some places can be noisy as they tend to work either very late or through the night. It can be annoying and noisy.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:07 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

spent the weekend in marina mansions. Lovely building opposite the yacht club. JBR walk is great to go to chill at the weekend.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander
spent the weekend in marina mansions. Lovely building opposite the yacht club. JBR walk is great to go to chill at the weekend.

Isnt that the wrong end of Marina? I thought Spinney's end is where it's all happening.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
Isnt that the wrong end of Marina? I thought Spinney's end is where it's all happening.
Do not think so... easy access to JBR walk from there, 2 minutes walk to Dubai Marina Mall, plus the Yacht Club at your door steps. Like everything in Dubai... things change fast.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a few restaurants clustered down at the Spinney's end, but they seem to be popular mostly with Arabs. By contrast the pizza place a bit further up the Marina walk is solidly an expat hangout.

That said, the Marina walk really can't be described as 'happening.'

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:38 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

the Yacht Club is in the middle and has really easy access to The Walk (JBR seafront), not to be confused with Marina Walk, which is where the Spinney's is. Once the building work Yacht Club side of Marina Mall cleans its act up, we'll actually be able to walk from beyond the Yacht Club to Marina Walk at marina level, which will be great. More and more shops are opening up all the time - the end plan is for all the marina level to be like Marina Walk.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it's great if you like living in an area of only high rise buildings, many of which look like tenemant blocks.

-
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:41 pm
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Meow
I'm sure it's great if you like living in an area of only high rise buildings, many of which look like tenemant blocks.

-
Well, that's only JBR[ubbish] imo, which is fast becoming a less favourable option in the Marina... you just have to shop around.
Living in a villa can be just as isolating/soulless or just as great.