Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Major Dilemma...Aaarrrggghhh

Major Dilemma...Aaarrrggghhh

Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of
Default Major Dilemma...Aaarrrggghhh

OK so as most of you know I've been trying to get myself and family out to dubai this year. Yesterday I was approached by my current employers biggest competitor to move to them. They're offering mega wonga!!! Needless to say I reckon I'd need to earn a mint in Dubai to make it balance.

Dilemma is...does mega bucks in UK outweigh the benefits of living in Dubai? Do you reckon its worth giving up on Dubai...maybe even for a few years?

Yours in Confusion,
Daz
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major Dilemma...Aaarrrggghhh

Why did you want to leave in the first place? Its a canny hike to up sticks with a family - was it only for the money?

Me i am leaving to get some life experience, life is too short....

How do your family feel now?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Why did you want to leave in the first place? Its a canny hike to up sticks with a family - was it only for the money?

Me i am leaving to get some life experience, life is too short....

How do your family feel now?
Its been a combination of lots of things that made us look to move. Apart from the obvious weather advantages (albeit not so much in July!) we like the lifestyle. To be honest the tax free benefit didn't really do much for us as any saving was going straight out the door on mega expensive property. Ok so we would be marginally better off in Dubai but we're still trying to weigh it all up.

Brothers and Parents etc all say stay unless I can get an equivalent offer in dubai but I reckon that'll be really difficult. My wife (and I guess our 16 month old too) is as confused as me.

Daz
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I would leave anyway, just for the better lifestyle and weather, but getting the right package is the biggest issue. Your gonna have to make this decision yourself Daz
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I would leave anyway, just for the better lifestyle and weather, but getting the right package is the biggest issue. Your gonna have to make this decision yourself Daz
Think its gonna be a tough one. If only this firm wanted me in the ME!

Daz
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Think its gonna be a tough one. If only this firm wanted me in the ME!

Daz
do they have an office here?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

do they have an office here?
Yes..thats the one thing they have over my current employer...there may be an opportunity to move with them. My current employer has no presence in the ME at least not yet although I'm working on a deal for them in Bahrain.

Its hard to ignore the money given that i'd earn more here than I could in Dubai tax free. So it really comes down to the lifestyle and opportunity for us and the kids.

Daz
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Yes..thats the one thing they have over my current employer...there may be an opportunity to move with them. My current employer has no presence in the ME at least not yet although I'm working on a deal for them in Bahrain.

Its hard to ignore the money given that i'd earn more here than I could in Dubai tax free. So it really comes down to the lifestyle and opportunity for us and the kids.

Daz
Follow your heart...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Confucius
Follow your heart...
If it was that easy it'd be DXB...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:40 am
Concierge

Daz

I would change to the international one and then request a transfer after about 6 months, once you have proved what an amazing and dedicated employee you are.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

I would change to the international one and then request a transfer after about 6 months, once you have proved what an amazing and dedicated employee you are.
You obviously know me well!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:55 am
Concierge

You obviously know me well!
ha ha PMSL