British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Major Dilemma...Aaarrrggghhh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/major-dilemma-aaarrrggghhh-526769/)

lochdaz-of-blantyre Apr 4th 2008 9:33 am

Major Dilemma...Aaarrrggghhh

OK so as most of you know I've been trying to get myself and family out to dubai this year. Yesterday I was approached by my current employers biggest competitor to move to them. They're offering mega wonga!!! Needless to say I reckon I'd need to earn a mint in Dubai to make it balance.

Dilemma is...does mega bucks in UK outweigh the benefits of living in Dubai? Do you reckon its worth giving up on Dubai...maybe even for a few years?

Yours in Confusion,
Daz:blink:

MrsHaps Apr 4th 2008 9:40 am

Re: Major Dilemma...Aaarrrggghhh

Why did you want to leave in the first place? Its a canny hike to up sticks with a family - was it only for the money?

Me i am leaving to get some life experience, life is too short....

How do your family feel now?

lochdaz-of-blantyre Apr 4th 2008 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6157802)
Why did you want to leave in the first place? Its a canny hike to up sticks with a family - was it only for the money?

Me i am leaving to get some life experience, life is too short....

How do your family feel now?

Its been a combination of lots of things that made us look to move. Apart from the obvious weather advantages (albeit not so much in July!) we like the lifestyle. To be honest the tax free benefit didn't really do much for us as any saving was going straight out the door on mega expensive property. Ok so we would be marginally better off in Dubai but we're still trying to weigh it all up.

Brothers and Parents etc all say stay unless I can get an equivalent offer in dubai but I reckon that'll be really difficult. My wife (and I guess our 16 month old too) is as confused as me.

Daz

Blue Cat Apr 4th 2008 9:59 am

I would leave anyway, just for the better lifestyle and weather, but getting the right package is the biggest issue. Your gonna have to make this decision yourself Daz :blink:

lochdaz-of-blantyre Apr 4th 2008 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6157857)
I would leave anyway, just for the better lifestyle and weather, but getting the right package is the biggest issue. Your gonna have to make this decision yourself Daz :blink:

Think its gonna be a tough one. If only this firm wanted me in the ME!

Daz

Blue Cat Apr 4th 2008 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre (Post 6157877)
Think its gonna be a tough one. If only this firm wanted me in the ME!

Daz

do they have an office here?

lochdaz-of-blantyre Apr 4th 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6157882)
do they have an office here?

Yes..thats the one thing they have over my current employer...there may be an opportunity to move with them. My current employer has no presence in the ME at least not yet although I'm working on a deal for them in Bahrain.

Its hard to ignore the money given that i'd earn more here than I could in Dubai tax free. So it really comes down to the lifestyle and opportunity for us and the kids.

Daz

Confucius Apr 4th 2008 10:26 am

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre (Post 6157915)
Yes..thats the one thing they have over my current employer...there may be an opportunity to move with them. My current employer has no presence in the ME at least not yet although I'm working on a deal for them in Bahrain.

Its hard to ignore the money given that i'd earn more here than I could in Dubai tax free. So it really comes down to the lifestyle and opportunity for us and the kids.

Daz

Follow your heart...

lochdaz-of-blantyre Apr 4th 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6157955)
Follow your heart...

If it was that easy it'd be DXB...

Blue Cat Apr 4th 2008 10:40 am

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre (Post 6157915)

Daz

I would change to the international one and then request a transfer after about 6 months, once you have proved what an amazing and dedicated employee you are.

lochdaz-of-blantyre Apr 4th 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6158017)
I would change to the international one and then request a transfer after about 6 months, once you have proved what an amazing and dedicated employee you are.

You obviously know me well!

Blue Cat Apr 4th 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre (Post 6158061)
You obviously know me well!

ha ha PMSL :p