Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
so what is your ethnicity then?
What does that have to do with the price of fish?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

redheart is an unknown quantity at this point

i blame the americans..............................no, seriously (possibly the canadians as well)
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:02 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
No she's not.

UK has many extreme problems, many of which include extreme violence which is NOT punished appropriately, if at all. (OK not beheading, or flogging or hand chopping, but read the papers, theres lots of nasty stuff going on - regularly). UK citizens (obviously) still choose to live there.

I don't think Alexa is loyal to the Saudi regime, she just tries to put forward a viewpoint to explain why people still find it an OK place to live and work.
Yes like even thinking we can accomodate Sharia Law for starters.

The UK has nothing that comes close to Saudi Arabia (yet...despite some of our "citizens" wanting to turn it into Saudi Arabia it would seem). Our women are still free and equal before the law. We don't criminalise people for shagging other consenting adults and we don't have police units beating people for things like not praying or being around members of the opposite sex they are not related to. We don't kill gay people and we don't teach our kids women who don't wear veils are whores.

Many countries have issues...in fact they all do. No where is perfect. But when you read things like this: "In 2006 a Jeddah court convicted an Eritrean national Muhammad Burhan for "charlatanry" because he possessed a phone book that contained writings in the Tigrinya alphabet used in Eritrea." you know that it goes way beyond anything we usually call issues in the 21st century.

The UK overall still has wonderful and relatively crime free places to live and work. The papers won't report that though will they. In any case a person who is willing to trade freedom for security deserves neither...

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Nov 27th 2009 at 9:10 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:54 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Yes like even thinking we can accomodate Sharia Law for starters.

The UK has nothing that comes close to Saudi Arabia (yet...despite some of our "citizens" wanting to turn it into Saudi Arabia it would seem). Our women are still free and equal before the law. We don't criminalise people for shagging other consenting adults and we don't have police units beating people for things like not praying or being around members of the opposite sex they are not related to. We don't kill gay people and we don't teach our kids women who don't wear veils are whores.

Many countries have issues...in fact they all do. No where is perfect. But when you read things like this: "In 2006 a Jeddah court convicted an Eritrean national Muhammad Burhan for "charlatanry" because he possessed a phone book that contained writings in the Tigrinya alphabet used in Eritrea." you know that it goes way beyond anything we usually call issues in the 21st century.

The UK overall still has wonderful and relatively crime free places to live and work. The papers won't report that though will they. In any case a person who is willing to trade freedom for security deserves neither...

N.
Which is the point I am trying to make. People slag off and criticise (rightly) the regime in KSA and imply that people should not support the regime there by working there.

My comments were to highlight that there are things happening in UK which could equally be criticised. I havent said they are the same as KSA (you will see that if you re read my initial comment).

Neither have I said I support the regime in KSA.

I just feel that some people are a bit blinkered when commenting on it.

You live in Dubai right? only a watered down version of KSA, with human rights violations hidden and unreported (on the whole). You feel its ok to live and work there despite this.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:23 pm
Banned

dick dastardly is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Saudi Arabia have many judicial good points that the UK should follow.

Beheading for rape, drug trafficking and murder, amputation for theft, stoning for adultary,
for f#cks sake, we could wipe out the government and half the population within weeks
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:02 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
My old man used to be into Black Magic, but now he prefers Just Brazils.
heh, nicely played...
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:02 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dick dastardly
I think Saudi Arabia have many judicial good points that the UK should follow.

Beheading for rape, drug trafficking and murder, amputation for theft, stoning for adultary,
for f#cks sake, we could wipe out the government and half the population within weeks
Maybe a little extreme but maybe on the right lines

Chavs and hoodies first. Form an orderly line next to the guillotine please.......
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:03 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

........ and can I watch?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:19 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Which is the point I am trying to make. People slag off and criticise (rightly) the regime in KSA and imply that people should not support the regime there by working there.

My comments were to highlight that there are things happening in UK which could equally be criticised. I havent said they are the same as KSA (you will see that if you re read my initial comment).

Neither have I said I support the regime in KSA.

I just feel that some people are a bit blinkered when commenting on it.

You live in Dubai right? only a watered down version of KSA, with human rights violations hidden and unreported (on the whole). You feel its ok to live and work there despite this.
Abu Dhabi actually...and yes in some ways it's a watered down version of KSA. But the main issues in the UAE are Sharia Law, contradictory law and no concept of legal precedent...otherwise it's a far cry from KSA.

N.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:31 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Abu Dhabi actually...and yes in some ways it's a watered down version of KSA. But the main issues in the UAE are Sharia Law, contradictory law and no concept of legal precedent...otherwise it's a far cry from KSA.

N.
Sharia Law, conradictory law and no concept of legal precedent, similar to/same as KSA. In addition add the likely mistreatment of servants and slaves, imprisonment of Non Emiratis for little reason.

However, you say correctly, no beheadings no arm choppings or stonings.

I wouldnt say its a far cry, more of a stones throw.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

But they were still executing people by shooting a few years ago - just doesn't get into the papers.

N
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:24 am

Sharia Law, conradictory law and no concept of legal precedent, similar to/same as KSA. In addition add the likely mistreatment of servants and slaves, imprisonment of Non Emiratis for little reason.

However, you say correctly, no beheadings no arm choppings or stonings.

I wouldnt say its a far cry, more of a stones throw.
The underlying ideology is the same of course. The local culture is not dissimilar but most of the rulers are not into the Wahhabist school of Islam and control what is preached in mosques etc.

It's within cannon shot but if anywhere can reform in the GCC this place would be near the top of the list

N.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
my mate just got back from Oman with his Arab girlfriend and apparently black magic is really big over there.
I have been told by a Qatari that most Qataris will not set foot into Oman, as there are a lot of Jinns over there....
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I think about all this...We don't like them changing our countries(except for some culinary additions), so why should we stick our noses into their affairs? If our countries would put their foot down as much as theirs do when it comes to changing/ adding laws etc. I for one would not be too unhappy.
Plus, most of us do not have enough insight into what is really going on in their countries anyway.