Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

looking for work in the sandpit

looking for work in the sandpit

Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Mr Forbes is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile looking for work in the sandpit

hi everyone, i am carperter/foreman/shopfitter with 20+ years experience, looking to make a fresh start in Dubai. Despite trawling through all the websites for vacancies, all these agencies require a registration fee and to be quite honest, I do not know where to start! Any jobs I have found in the Gulf News needs 3-10 years experience in the area. Can anyone give me any tips on how to get started. I have vast experience working in Europe, but this area is new to me. Would be nice to hear from anybody who has been in this situation and can give me some info or even some leads.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for work in the sandpit

it's pretty grim here at the minute in construction (Dubai). Have you got any management experience?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Mr Forbes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it's pretty grim here at the minute in construction (Dubai). Have you got any management experience?
I have management experience on site and managed my own shopfitting company, but no diploma. I can deal with upper management, architects and clients and also manage site sub-contractors.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Forbes
I have management experience on site and managed my own shopfitting company, but no diploma. I can deal with upper management, architects and clients and also manage site sub-contractors.
do a CV that is more management orientated and try your hand with the likes of Arabtec. I can't see you getting anything to be honest with you. What do you other guys think?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:23 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I think the work you describe is usually done by chaps over here who are paid a fraction of what you'd earn in the UK.

I would also imagine that fit-out budgets are going to be really scaled back as construction companies look to save a maximum amount of money - not good news for anyone.

My advice is "not now"...
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:32 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
do a CV that is more management orientated and try your hand with the likes of Arabtec. I can't see you getting anything to be honest with you. What do you other guys think?
totally agree with hello kitty - to the op, even at the best of times you would struggle to make a good earning here in your trade if you are coming from the west