Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for Work in Dubai

Looking for Work in Dubai

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Gizzmobia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for Work in Dubai

Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here could help me. I am a single female looking to relocate to Dubai towards the end of the year.

I'm trying to find out which companies out there would be good to work for (reading this site has crossed Damac off my list!) and are looking for IT based staff.

I have 15 years experience in IT, 13 of those spent as an analyst programmer and the last 2 as a manager, my role encompasses project planning, resource planning, line management and managing multiple individual pieces of work. On top of that I have had to work in the BA role between the development team and the business.

Is it difficult for women to get managerial roles (I have an honours degree in Computer Science)?

I've been to Dubai quite a few time and have always enjoyed myself there hence the wish to try it out.

Any help and advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Helen
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for Work in Dubai

Originally Posted by Gizzmobia
Is it difficult for women to get managerial roles (I have an honours degree in Computer Science)?
Helen
Over here it seems that even the housemaids have honours degrees. A couple of guys on this forum are in the I.T. sector so I expect you will be hearing from them. My sources suggest that women often get into managerial positions over here, but expect to face casting couch treatment. Also, this is arguably the most...I cannot think of the word...what I am trying to say is that, if you are goodlooking and open-minded, it certainly helps. If you come to visit, just stroll around Dubai Media and Internet City at lunchtime and see for yourself.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Over here it seems that even the housemaids have honours degrees. A couple of guys on this forum are in the I.T. sector so I expect you will be hearing from them. My sources suggest that women often get into managerial positions over here, but expect to face casting couch treatment. Also, this is arguably the most...I cannot think of the word...what I am trying to say is that, if you are goodlooking and open-minded, it certainly helps. If you come to visit, just stroll around Dubai Media and Internet City at lunchtime and see for yourself.
Come on lion spit it out.. just tell us like it is - I'm intrigued and I live here!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Gizzmobia is an unknown quantity at this point

and i'm scared!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

as for 'the casting couch' - I would have thought that they may try it on low paid workers from the East, but I'd doubt they have the balls to try it with a Western Manager?
Surely thats codswallop??