Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for a job which would be looking after me

Looking for a job which would be looking after me

Old Jul 8th 2006, 4:50 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 5
eajibaev is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Looking for a job which would be looking after me

Hey dear people,

Glad to be here. Seems to be a good place to get a lot useful info. I have been scanning through a lot of threads here - seems like the forum is busy and a lot of people got help. I would really really appreciate if you could help me too.

I am looking for a job in the middle east and in particular in UAE. I am 26. Have about 7 years of experience in marketing and business analyses. Had different jobs like marketing director and business analyst. Worked for US and international companies.

For the last two years I have been getting my MBA in the US. I am graduating in a week. For the last couple of months I have been sending out my Resumes and registering at the web sites of Middle Eastern recruiting agencies. It does not seems to be working so far !!??

I did not have problems finding a job before, whether in US or in Central Asia.
This time I am not getting any replies even though I have applied for about hundred of openings.

I am not sure what is wrong ??? So, wise and experienced people please help me.
eajibaev is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:49 am
  #2  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,582
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a job which would be looking after me

Originally Posted by eajibaev
I am not sure what is wrong ??? So, wise and experienced people please help me.
I'm not wise or experienced per se - however where are you? Every tale I have heard about getting a job in the UAE (and why do you want a job here? - I like it here, but just asking) involves the person either being headhunted (rare these days) or physically coming here and having interviews.
Autonomy is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2006, 4:51 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 5
eajibaev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a job which would be looking after me

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I'm not wise or experienced per se - however where are you? Every tale I have heard about getting a job in the UAE (and why do you want a job here? - I like it here, but just asking) involves the person either being headhunted (rare these days) or physically coming here and having interviews.
Hey Autonomy! Thanks for the reply. I am in the US at the moment. I feel pretty good in here - I am getting my MBA in a week and have good employment offers. Your question is reasonable why would I want to go somewhere else. Well the reason is that I can not extend my visa to stay in here any more.
I had good positions in big companies here in US and in Central Asia where I am originally from. And my tactic of trying to find a job in Dubai through internet does not work so far.
Now, as far as i can understand the working strategy could be to go there for a few week and try got interviewed. I would appreciate if somebody could suggest some tactics on that. Whom should I contact and what is the best way to contact people? Appreciate your help.
eajibaev is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:36 am
  #4  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,582
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a job which would be looking after me

If you're aiming for marketing (or any other job I guess, but you mentioned marketing) - do a lot of research into the companies out here. Not just their names, but the people in positions there that you want to speak to. Get their emails and phone numbers. Know what the company does, what clients they handle etc.

You can get a lot of this from Google. Try to get hold of Communicate and Gulf Marketing Review Magazines (not sure if you can from US, but there are online versions www.itp.com for Communicate)

Do as much as you can up front. Know what to expect when you get here - what salary and job you maybe expecting - is this job available, is the salary achievable etc.

Know that many people say UAE is not as advanced or as professional in many respects compared to the US.

If you still want to come out - get some cash together - you'll need it! Hotels etc are pricy and living cost is compareble to US I guess.

Avoid the summer months if you can as less people around (not so true these days, but still an effect - plus it is HOT...)

Get here, get a mobile card (WASL), get an internet connection or get to the numerous internet cafes and dedicate yourself to 8-10 hour days of setting up meetings, networking, checking all the local press for job ads but also for current local news for your industry. Try the better employment agencies, but don't by any means sit back and rely on them. Cross your fingers and hope you havn't made the biggest mistake of your life...

That's how I did it - others will have differing stories.

I've been here not far short of 2 years and still really like it.

Good luck.

Auto
Autonomy is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:20 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 5
eajibaev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a job which would be looking after me

Originally Posted by Autonomy
If you're aiming for marketing (or any other job I guess, but you mentioned marketing) - do a lot of research into the companies out here. Not just their names, but the people in positions there that you want to speak to. Get their emails and phone numbers. Know what the company does, what clients they handle etc.

You can get a lot of this from Google. Try to get hold of Communicate and Gulf Marketing Review Magazines (not sure if you can from US, but there are online versions www.itp.com for Communicate)

Do as much as you can up front. Know what to expect when you get here - what salary and job you maybe expecting - is this job available, is the salary achievable etc.

Know that many people say UAE is not as advanced or as professional in many respects compared to the US.

If you still want to come out - get some cash together - you'll need it! Hotels etc are pricy and living cost is compareble to US I guess.

Avoid the summer months if you can as less people around (not so true these days, but still an effect - plus it is HOT...)

Get here, get a mobile card (WASL), get an internet connection or get to the numerous internet cafes and dedicate yourself to 8-10 hour days of setting up meetings, networking, checking all the local press for job ads but also for current local news for your industry. Try the better employment agencies, but don't by any means sit back and rely on them. Cross your fingers and hope you havn't made the biggest mistake of your life...

That's how I did it - others will have differing stories.

I've been here not far short of 2 years and still really like it.

Good luck.

Auto
Hey man, THANKS for your info - will try to use some of your techniques. I think I am going to fly to Dubai in the first dates of September. Other challenge probably is to find an accommodation for 4-6 weeks. So - anybody looking for a roommate in Dubai let me know. Anybody knows the best accommodation option - would really appreciate your advice.

One more time, Auto thanks a lot for your time and info.
eajibaev is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.