Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha - Where to look for second hand cars?

Doha - Where to look for second hand cars?

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future
Default Doha - Where to look for second hand cars?

I wondered if anyone had any tips on places to look for a second-hand car? We've looked at the classifieds on expatwoman and qatarliving but there don't seem to be many cars. Is there a place that ex-pats tend to advertise their cars or is it word of mouth?

If it's hard to find a car that's ex-pat pre-owned are there any good/bad dealers to go to or avoid? I have seen others asking specifically for a car that has only been owned by other ex-pats, why would this be? Is it just easier to buy without a language barrier or do Qataris do something bad to their cars??

Any advice appreciated!
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:54 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Doha - Where to look for second hand cars?

Originally Posted by twinmum
I wondered if anyone had any tips on places to look for a second-hand car? We've looked at the classifieds on expatwoman and qatarliving but there don't seem to be many cars. Is there a place that ex-pats tend to advertise their cars or is it word of mouth?

If it's hard to find a car that's ex-pat pre-owned are there any good/bad dealers to go to or avoid? I have seen others asking specifically for a car that has only been owned by other ex-pats, why would this be? Is it just easier to buy without a language barrier or do Qataris do something bad to their cars??

Any advice appreciated!

Sorry, I'm in Melbourne, Australia and can't help you. If you find yourself in Melbourne, there's a load of second hand car places at the southern end of Warrigal road, and across from there, a really bizarre furniture shop.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:57 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baconmaster
Sorry, I'm in Melbourne, Australia and can't help you. If you find yourself in Melbourne, there's a load of second hand car places at the southern end of Warrigal road, and across from there, a really bizarre furniture shop.
Are you suffering from Bacon withdrawal....or are the drugs just beginning to kick in
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 6:37 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinmum

Any advice appreciated!
TwinMom
The expats usually put their adverts for car sales on the notice boards in the major supermarkets. Carrefour, MegaMart, Lulu etc. There are loads and loads of car dealers in Doha. Oasis is one of the good ones. You also get to take your car to a special place to be checked out before buying it
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 6:39 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Are you suffering from Bacon withdrawal....or are the drugs just beginning to kick in
Im afraid Im the one suffering from BACON withdrawal. Its been nearly a year and Im goinggg crazyyyyyy AARRRGGHHHHHHH :scared:

If I smell bacon I will surely faint.......... :scared:
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:33 pm
a.k.a Mr Rascal

Rascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Malteser
TwinMom
The expats usually put their adverts for car sales on the notice boards in the major supermarkets. Carrefour, MegaMart, Lulu etc. There are loads and loads of car dealers in Doha. Oasis is one of the good ones. You also get to take your car to a special place to be checked out before buying it
Thanks Malteser, this helps me (and Rascal) too this! We won't be wanting to pay QR1950 per month forever to hire a white 1.6 phut phut hire car! Some time we will be thinking about a motor of our own to drive R and the rugrats around in.

Been told that going rate for a decent 4x4 is around QR 100,000 - 130,000 which equates to around QR 2000 per month repayments. Just that we dont want to pay HP (again) :scared: on a car not when we have two in NZ and we'd been ripped off by it too.

So idea will be to look for a reasonable 2nd hand 4x4 in a while. Noted the popular models ... ones which :scared: like the Land Cruisers and the one down from a LC which EVERYONE seems to be driving.

Had a Honda CRV (twice in NZ) and this will no doubt be R's no1 choice. Depends of course on what is on notice boards.

Time for .... well a juice maybe

Me missing the bacon already ... so there's NO bacon black market here then? I will have withdrawal symptoms soon for sure ...........
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:06 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by Rascalmate
Thanks Malteser, this helps me (and Rascal) too this! We won't be wanting to pay QR1950 per month forever to hire a white 1.6 phut phut hire car! Some time we will be thinking about a motor of our own to drive R and the rugrats around in.

Been told that going rate for a decent 4x4 is around QR 100,000 - 130,000 which equates to around QR 2000 per month repayments. Just that we dont want to pay HP (again) :scared: on a car not when we have two in NZ and we'd been ripped off by it too.

So idea will be to look for a reasonable 2nd hand 4x4 in a while. Noted the popular models ... ones which :scared: like the Land Cruisers and the one down from a LC which EVERYONE seems to be driving.

Had a Honda CRV (twice in NZ) and this will no doubt be R's no1 choice. Depends of course on what is on notice boards.

Time for .... well a juice maybe

Me missing the bacon already ... so there's NO bacon black market here then? I will have withdrawal symptoms soon for sure ...........

All u need is a friend from the American base...........they have loads and loads of bacon there........
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

That wink tells me you already know a USA guy?
Na, have gone off bacon since living in NZ, its all smoked and I hate smoked stuff. Even when its advertised as unsmoked, its still tastes flippin smoked!
So, gone off bacon, ham, sausages..oh no, DO NOT eat NZ sausages! :scared:
So am not missing bacon anymore, forgot what decent bacon tastes like anyway now.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:04 am
a.k.a Mr Rascal

Rascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the rough

Got UK Expat contact here who wed a Filipino whilst out here .... who can get imitation Streaky Bacon from The Phillipines ... says it looks the same but don't taste like the real thing.

They apparently bring it over by the suitcase load! There was a family caught recently trying to smuggle 2000+ packets of the stuff into Doha! They got slapped wrists and hubby his residency torn up ...

Uk Expat says they turn a blind eye if the 'odd' packet is brought in. But R don't bother with the Kiwi smoked stuff ... its real naff imitation like most the Kiwi imitation cheeses, pepperoni etc etc Nowt like the real thing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise ....

Malteser? Which direction is the air force base? Are the Yanks easy to befriend? Could really do with a good ole bacon butty .... especially with the trainees here having their spicy mid morning and mid-mid morning snacks! The good ole UK days was a trainee being sent out for bacon butties for morning tea .... them were the days ....

So R when you bring the spare tyre/engine/gearbox through customs make sure that they are NOT filled with kiwi fake bacon!!

AND DO NOT bring in your Bacardi!!! No no no big no no. Me will get booze card and we will get it here that way!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:49 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascalmate
Got UK Expat contact here who wed a Filipino whilst out here .... who can get imitation Streaky Bacon from The Phillipines ... says it looks the same but don't taste like the real thing.
Yes, that's the problem with using cat rather than pig.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:09 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser? Which direction is the air force base? Are the Yanks easy to befriend? Could really do with a good ole bacon butty .... especially with the trainees here having their spicy mid morning and mid-mid morning snacks! The good ole UK days was a trainee being sent out for bacon butties for morning tea .... them were the days ....

So R when you bring the spare tyre/engine/gearbox through customs make sure that they are NOT filled with kiwi fake bacon!!

AND DO NOT bring in your Bacardi!!! No no no big no no. Me will get booze card and we will get it here that way! [/QUOTE]

I havent got a USA guy for a friend but a USA gal. Shes lovely but just left for US to return in September. She said she has easy excess to the base and will bring me the bacon. Have to wait till Sept tho

Will introduce u to her Rascal. As for me I'm about to get sick wt bacon and pork cos its all I will be eating whilst back at home......hehe