Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for help with info on Qatar please

Looking for help with info on Qatar please

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for help with info on Qatar please

Hi

My partner has recently accepted a position in Doha and is transferring out from the US in December. We are not married, he is a US citizen and I'm British.

I have been searching the net and these boards for some time and am finding the lack of information specifically pertaining to Qatar somewhat frustrating.

Being new to the whole process and place obviously we have questions about many things but for the moment my primary concern is work for me.

I had originally planned to go out on a UK tourist Visa and look for work if searching from London proved unsuccessful (which it looks as if it will) but I have growing concerns and am getting more confused by the day over the best way to go about all this.

I have an honors degree and pushing 10 years work experience (the last few a tad patchy due to flying transatlantic frequently mind) progressing from senior admin/HR admin through to project and training management for an international IT/research consultancy.

If someone could please offer some advice on the situation in the market out there, the likelihood of me finding work and best course of action to find a job (i.e. sit it out here or get out there and look on the ground) I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:17 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for help with info on Qatar please

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Hi

My partner has recently accepted a position in Doha and is transferring out from the US in December. We are not married, he is a US citizen and I'm British.

I have been searching the net and these boards for some time and am finding the lack of information specifically pertaining to Qatar somewhat frustrating.

Being new to the whole process and place obviously we have questions about many things but for the moment my primary concern is work for me.

I had originally planned to go out on a UK tourist Visa and look for work if searching from London proved unsuccessful (which it looks as if it will) but I have growing concerns and am getting more confused by the day over the best way to go about all this.

I have an honors degree and pushing 10 years work experience (the last few a tad patchy due to flying transatlantic frequently mind) progressing from senior admin/HR admin through to project and training management for an international IT/research consultancy.

If someone could please offer some advice on the situation in the market out there, the likelihood of me finding work and best course of action to find a job (i.e. sit it out here or get out there and look on the ground) I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Hello ... welcome to the forum.

I am not a working woman ... so don't think I can help you much in this department.

Don't take my word for it ... but don't think you can stay here for longterm if you dont have company sponsoring you (since you are not married). If you are married than you can come here and get your husband to sponsor you then you can find a job with your husband sponsorship.

Mind you if you both working in different company you will need 2 different exit visa to leave the country, and sometimes it could be a pain in the ass.

And also ... unmarried couple living together is against the law in Qatar .

Anymore question just shout.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome

Have to admit, I am even more worried now though

I'll be calling the British Council out there on Sunday and asking for confirmation of the legalities involved - Nothing I had initially read on embassy websites etc had given me the impression that us not being married would prove to be an impassable obstacle anymore, but, I could it seems very easily have picked up the wrong impression. I thought as long as co-habiting wasn't advertised you could get away with it?

Anyway, thanks for the reply .. you know anywhere else that I could ask about women working, regardless of our marital status?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:40 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome

Have to admit, I am even more worried now though

I'll be calling the British Council out there on Sunday and asking for confirmation of the legalities involved - Nothing I had initially read on embassy websites etc had given me the impression that us not being married would prove to be an impassable obstacle anymore, but, I could it seems very easily have picked up the wrong impression. I thought as long as co-habiting wasn't advertised you could get away with it?

Anyway, thanks for the reply .. you know anywhere else that I could ask about women working, regardless of our marital status?
Unusual username BTW
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Unusual username BTW

I succumbed to the stupidity of the following email a while back, it just stuck in my head

A BIT OF FUN ........

MY NEW NAME IS THE SUBJECT.....DON'T LAUGH UNTIL U FIND OUT WHAT YOUR NEW NAME IS .

We all need a little stress-reliever! Sometimes when you have a stressful day or week, you need some silliness to break up the day. And, if we are honest, we have a lot more stressful days than not.
Here is your dose of humor...

A. Follow the instructions to find your new name.
B. Once you have your new name, put it in the subject box and forward it to friends and family and co-workers. And don't go all adult - a senior
manager is now known far and wide as Dorky Gizzardsniffer.

The following is excerpted from a children's book, Captain Underpants And the Perilous Plot Professor Poopypants, by Dave Pilkey, in which the
evil Professor forces everyone to assume new names...

1. Use the third letter of your first name to determine your new first name:
a = snickle
b = doombah
c = goober
d = cheesey
e = crusty
f = greasy
g = dumbo
h = farcus
i = dorky
j = doofus
k = funky
l = boobie
m = sleezy
n = sloopy
o = fluffy
p = stinky
q = slimy
r = dorfus
s = snooty
t = tootsie
u = dipsy
v = sneezy
w = liver
x = skippy
y = dinky
z = zippy

2. Use the second letter of your last name to determine the first half of your new last name:
a = dippin
b = feather
c = batty
d = burger
e = chicken
f = barffy
g = lizard
h = waffle
i = farkle
j = monkey
k = flippin
l = fricken
m = bubble
n = rhino
o = potty
p = hamster
q = buckle
r = gizzard
s = lickin
t = snickle
u = chuckle
v = pickle
w = hubble
x = dingle
y = gorilla
z = girdle

3. Use the third letter of your last name to determine the second half of your new last name:
a = butt
b = boob
c = face
d = nose
e = hump
f = breath
g = pants
h = shorts
i = lips
j = honker
k = head
l = tush
m = chunks
n = dunkin
o = brains
p = biscuits
q = toes
r = doodle
s = fanny
t = sniffer
u = sprinkles
v = frack
w = squirt
x = humperdinck
y = hiney
z = juice

Thus, for example, George W. Bush's new name is: Fluffy Chucklefanny.
Now when you SEND THIS ON...use your new name as the subject. And remember that children laugh an average of 146 times a day; adults laugh an average of 4 times a day. Put more laughter in your day.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 5:49 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Tootsie ...

try to go to expatwoman.com middle east section, put a post in Qatar Section, more ladies from Doha will be on the board. I think there is some working lady on there

xx
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

why not get married? would save a lot of hassle

welcome to the forums btw

But on the plus side, you don't have to file taxes on your income, but your bloke will still have to file to the IRS every year.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:39 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

I succumbed to the stupidity of the following email a while back, it just stuck in my head

A BIT OF FUN ........

MY NEW NAME IS THE SUBJECT.....DON'T LAUGH UNTIL U FIND OUT WHAT YOUR NEW NAME IS .

We all need a little stress-reliever! Sometimes when you have a stressful day or week, you need some silliness to break up the day. And, if we are honest, we have a lot more stressful days than not.
Here is your dose of humor...

A. Follow the instructions to find your new name.
B. Once you have your new name, put it in the subject box and forward it to friends and family and co-workers. And don't go all adult - a senior
manager is now known far and wide as Dorky Gizzardsniffer.

The following is excerpted from a children's book, Captain Underpants And the Perilous Plot Professor Poopypants, by Dave Pilkey, in which the
evil Professor forces everyone to assume new names...

1. Use the third letter of your first name to determine your new first name:
a = snickle
b = doombah
c = goober
d = cheesey
e = crusty
f = greasy
g = dumbo
h = farcus
i = dorky
j = doofus
k = funky
l = boobie
m = sleezy
n = sloopy
o = fluffy
p = stinky
q = slimy
r = dorfus
s = snooty
t = tootsie
u = dipsy
v = sneezy
w = liver
x = skippy
y = dinky
z = zippy

2. Use the second letter of your last name to determine the first half of your new last name:
a = dippin
b = feather
c = batty
d = burger
e = chicken
f = barffy
g = lizard
h = waffle
i = farkle
j = monkey
k = flippin
l = fricken
m = bubble
n = rhino
o = potty
p = hamster
q = buckle
r = gizzard
s = lickin
t = snickle
u = chuckle
v = pickle
w = hubble
x = dingle
y = gorilla
z = girdle

3. Use the third letter of your last name to determine the second half of your new last name:
a = butt
b = boob
c = face
d = nose
e = hump
f = breath
g = pants
h = shorts
i = lips
j = honker
k = head
l = tush
m = chunks
n = dunkin
o = brains
p = biscuits
q = toes
r = doodle
s = fanny
t = sniffer
u = sprinkles
v = frack
w = squirt
x = humperdinck
y = hiney
z = juice

Thus, for example, George W. Bush's new name is: Fluffy Chucklefanny.
Now when you SEND THIS ON...use your new name as the subject. And remember that children laugh an average of 146 times a day; adults laugh an average of 4 times a day. Put more laughter in your day.

Dumbo Chucklehead Think I'll stick with Fairydust
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:16 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Dumbo Chucklehead Think I'll stick with Fairydust
Sneezy Pottydoodle
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:53 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Zippy DippinDunkin , sound like a doughnut from Rainbow!!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice names girls

Thanks Bob ... Good question, I'll ask him

Serioulsy though, that just might be the road we choose to take.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:41 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tootsie,

Check as to whether you need to get any professional or educational certificates attested by the relevant emabassies before you leave the UK. I only found out about getting mine done when we got here and it can be a pain expecially if you get an interview / job but can only start once this has been done....
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Boobie Gizzard Lips.

Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:53 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Done this before on another forum..... Im Goober FickleSniffer
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Done this before on another forum..... Im Goober FickleSniffer
And dont let anyone tell you otherwise.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.