Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for help???

Looking for help???

Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

dickiemoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for help???

I am currently seeking employment with a property development company in UAE and have a few leads I'm following up both independently and through various recruitment consultants. which I hope will lead to an interview and (fingers crossed) a job offer!! I have a load of questions that I hope a few of you kind people may be able to answer:

I've done my research on accommodation costs and have come to the conclusion that we are probably going to be paying circa UAED 150-200K for a 2 bed apartment in Dubai. Other than utilities are there any further property costs on top - I'm thinking about initial agents fee (5%?) and any property taxes?

Am I correct in thinking landlords are generally looking for a full years rent + 5% deposit up front or is there any way of spreading this cost?

I think I understand the VISA process ie I can attend interviews on a Tourist visa but need a visa/work permit to commence employment?

Can anyone give me an indication of the general length of time it takes from interview to actually starting work?

I understand most jobs have a 6 month probationary period - what happens (heaven forbid) if you are not kept on after this period? Can you remain and look for another job or does you visa effectively require you to return home?

Are there restrictions on returning home during this period?

What are normal office hours?

What is suitable dress for an interview? I would hate to turn up either under or over dressed. (I appreciate I am inviting strange answers here!!)

I hope someone can help!!!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

C350AMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for help???

Originally Posted by dickiemoon
I am currently seeking employment with a property development company in UAE and have a few leads I'm following up both independently and through various recruitment consultants. which I hope will lead to an interview and (fingers crossed) a job offer!! I have a load of questions that I hope a few of you kind people may be able to answer:

I've done my research on accommodation costs and have come to the conclusion that we are probably going to be paying circa UAED 150-200K for a 2 bed apartment in Dubai. Other than utilities are there any further property costs on top - I'm thinking about initial agents fee (5%?) and any property taxes?

Am I correct in thinking landlords are generally looking for a full years rent + 5% deposit up front or is there any way of spreading this cost?

I think I understand the VISA process ie I can attend interviews on a Tourist visa but need a visa/work permit to commence employment?

Can anyone give me an indication of the general length of time it takes from interview to actually starting work?

I understand most jobs have a 6 month probationary period - what happens (heaven forbid) if you are not kept on after this period? Can you remain and look for another job or does you visa effectively require you to return home?

Are there restrictions on returning home during this period?

What are normal office hours?

What is suitable dress for an interview? I would hate to turn up either under or over dressed. (I appreciate I am inviting strange answers here!!)

I hope someone can help!!!

No Property Taxes Just Gas, Water and Elec
Food costs in super market are similar to UK may be 5-10% less
Take away food is cheap.
When you get job, they will process you residance visa and then work permit
If you are british , American or Auzi, you driving License will be converted to UAE, other wise you will need to take test
Depending on your nationallity and company it can take 1 week to 3 months
I work for ALDAR and it took 2 weeks to receive contact after interview and I was able to start work on visit visa mean while they processed my residence visa and work permit.
In construction and property development probation period is generally 3 months. If it doesnt work out then you will have leave within 1 week notice. Your employer will inform Ministry and ask them to cancel your visa. Although they can choose not to cancel your visa, in which case you can continue to stay and look for another job. Its better of they sack you rather than you resign. As they will have to give you NOC (no objection Cert.), as you will need that to get new job. If they dont give you NOC, you will have to wait for 6 months to get job in UAE.
Once you get your visa stamped then there are no restrictions. Only period when you passport is away for stamping, you cant travel.
Construction its 6 days per week. Property developers, tend to be 5 days with Friday and Saturday off, 10 hours per day.
For interview its suite and Tie. But you can also wear Dish Dash / Kandoora (UAE National Dress) .

I hope that helps
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:57 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C350AMG
No Property Taxes Just Gas, Water and Elec
Municipality tax? That is added to DEWA bill, 5% of villa/apartment rental cost each month.

Service charges if you buy the place.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:22 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Municipality tax? That is added to DEWA bill, 5% of villa/apartment rental cost each month.

Service charges if you buy the place.
we are going to be charged service charges and we don't own our apartment, they say it is to keep the communal areas clean, pool etc as well. Hasn't started yet but it will if the rent cap is 5% again. LL will do anything to get the rent up. That is why he started charging 7000 to park a second car. Robbing git
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

dickiemoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for help ...it's appre4ciated.

AMG can you tell me any more about Aldar? They are one of the companies I have applied to. I believe the CEO is Ron Barrott who I used to work for donkey's years ago. I was pretty junior then so the chances are he wouldn't even remember me!!! But how are you finding them to work for?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

C350AMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dickiemoon
Thank you for help ...it's appre4ciated.

AMG can you tell me any more about Aldar? They are one of the companies I have applied to. I believe the CEO is Ron Barrott who I used to work for donkey's years ago. I was pretty junior then so the chances are he wouldn't even remember me!!! But how are you finding them to work for?

I work for Aldar Joint Venture called Aldar Laing O' rourke in Abu Dhabi. I was recruited by Laing O' Rourke in the UK. Aldar are very fast growing company and they have been arround since 2005. Being givernment funded company they have very ambitious plans. I am currently working on Al raha Beach Development, which 11kms of sea side development near Abu Dhabi Airport. You can see more details at www.alrahabeach.com.