Lockdown

Old Apr 18th 2020, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
I'm not going to post on this again until there is a societal consensus, but wanted to point out the following:
  • WHO in March - death rate estimated @ 6%,
  • Imperial College last week of March - death rate estimated @ less than 1%
  • University of Bonn - first week in April - death rate estimated @ 0.37% based on first serology study (more reliable)
  • Stanford University - third week in April - death rate estimated @ as low as 0.1%, based on second serology test (most reliable)
I'm sure we can all spot the trend and in time I believe current events will be seen as an overreaction of historic proportions. But meanwhile, let's continue to burn the world..

fear rate is 89pct tho
Old Apr 18th 2020, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
fear rate is 89pct tho
I'm not sure whether to laugh ... or cry
Old Apr 19th 2020, 5:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

almost all the old villas on the road from city walk to satwa are high density labour accommodation. I’ve been in a couple and it’s easy to find six+ to a room. 10 Filipinos in a room in satwa is not uncommon. Remember that when you’re considering employing a live out housemaid/ cleaner.
Yeah, every administrator I've ever worked with here has been in shared accommodation in Deira (etc) paying for bed space, not a room.

Anyone seen the videos coming out of Naïf overnight?
Nope, what they showing?

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
I'm sure we can all spot the trend and in time I believe current events will be seen as an overreaction of historic proportions. But meanwhile, let's continue to burn the world..
Imagine if the governments did nothing? It's one of those situations where they can't and won't win. I'd like to see the world open up again ASAP so we can get back to 'normal' but I'd also rather not have this germ.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yeah, every administrator I've ever worked with here has been in shared accommodation in Deira (etc) paying for bed space, not a room.
As is almost every shopping assistant, waitress, delivery driver, taxi driver, cook, cleaner, receptionist, cashier etc. It's a difficult job to resolve. The labour accommodation of some of the cashiers is horrific.

Even the top-tier places have its staff in mass accommodation in Al Quoz. While the one I'm thinking of is actually very nice and clean, and density is low (2 to a room), they all eat together in the canteen and share shower blocks.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 5:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

As is almost every shopping assistant, waitress, delivery driver, taxi driver, cook, cleaner, receptionist, cashier etc. It's a difficult job to resolve. The labour accommodation of some of the cashiers is horrific.

Even the top-tier places have its staff in mass accommodation in Al Quoz. While the one I'm thinking of is actually very nice and clean, and density is low (2 to a room), they all eat together in the canteen and share shower blocks.
I'm surprised it's not made international press to be honest. Would expect Channel 4 to have a documentary on it already.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm surprised it's not made international press to be honest. Would expect Channel 4 to have a documentary on it already.
In fairness though, despite the structure problems, I think the government are doing a great job in clearing all this up. Organized, efficient and seemingly in control. Unlike pretty much anywhere else. But we really need to get back to work.

Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:08 am
Account Closed

In fairness though, despite the structure problems, I think the government are doing a great job in clearing all this up. Organized, efficient and seemingly in control. Unlike pretty much anywhere else. But we really need to get back to work.
Seen the testing stats? The UAE appears to be a world leader.

The shift in permits being one every 3 days now will help too. Looking out the window at the weekend it was far busier than it has been in recent weeks. People have been locked down for a while now - we must be 3ish weeks? People start to get restless. I know the people above me had a party at the weekend (I say party, I could hear more than just a few voices on the balcony).
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Updated piccies. Same data in both charts, just the right hand one uses a log scale.
In terms of doubling rates, US still numbah one. Plucky UK getting close though. For reference, in the UAE the doubling rate is roughly every 7.5 days but there's not really enough deaths (mash'allah) to have proper stats.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seen the testing stats? The UAE appears to be a world leader.

The shift in permits being one every 3 days now will help too. Looking out the window at the weekend it was far busier than it has been in recent weeks. People have been locked down for a while now - we must be 3ish weeks? People start to get restless. I know the people above me had a party at the weekend (I say party, I could hear more than just a few voices on the balcony).
I've been at home since 12th March as I couldn't make the representation of no health problems to go to the office (I had a cold so wasn't allowed in). At least three of our neighbours had parties this weekend given the music, voices and BBQ smells in the gardens.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:36 am
Account Closed

I've been at home since 12th March as I couldn't make the representation of no health problems to go to the office (I had a cold so wasn't allowed in). At least three of our neighbours had parties this weekend given the music, voices and BBQ smells in the gardens.
Just looked at my calendar, we were told on the 15th March we could work from home. The next week we had freedom to exercise and we went out every morning I think, or at least most mornings. Then that was canned and it was confinement. I think I did almost two weeks before I went out again, have only been out twice since then as well, with permits those times.

I can dig it, I'm a lazy bastard and normally have to find reasons not to see other people or go places. Now I don't.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at my calendar, we were told on the 15th March we could work from home. The next week we had freedom to exercise and we went out every morning I think, or at least most mornings. Then that was canned and it was confinement. I think I did almost two weeks before I went out again, have only been out twice since then as well, with permits those times.

I can dig it, I'm a lazy bastard and normally have to find reasons not to see other people or go places. Now I don't.
Tee times are booked solid for the next two weekends up in RAK
Old Apr 19th 2020, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Tee times are booked solid for the next two weekends up in RAK
Are people just chancing it without a permit then?
Old Apr 19th 2020, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Are people just chancing it without a permit then?
Yes , i know fellas playing 3 times per week
Old Apr 19th 2020, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Yes , i know fellas playing 3 times per week
Mental.

That being said, I miss it. If you were sent out in 2balls either walking or separate buggies I don't see any issues with golf really. It would be a good way to get a lot of people moving again. I'm sure there are other similar opportunities with other sports too.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Mental.

That being said, I miss it. If you were sent out in 2balls either walking or separate buggies I don't see any issues with golf really. It would be a good way to get a lot of people moving again. I'm sure there are other similar opportunities with other sports too.
Agreed mate , not being able to run or cycle is killing me but you've got to adapt and do the right thing . There's two ways this will go at the weekend and that's a full shut down or a slight relaxation due to movement during Ramadan.

One things for sure, business needs to get moving again and quickly .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.